The Student Room Group

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd?

Scroll to see replies

I work in a bar - the best forms of "I.D" people think will be acceptable I've come across in my job include guys taking their tops off and showing me their tattoos "look I'm obviously old enough...blah blah blah." Idiots.
Original post by Wilfred Little
If you've bought from the same place before on several occasions and never been ID'd or you have already provided your ID then I can definitely understand how that can happen.

I had to show my ID once in a shop, fair enough it's the law etc. Then about a week later I went back, same person on the till, "got any ID?" :confused: I explained he'd served me last week and he said he knows but he still has to ask for ID. I was absolutely raging. I'm sure some people do this just for ****s and giggles.

If it's a big shop though, you won't remember everyone that you had served the week before. You'll serve dozens of costumers and besides it's always better to check if the person looks under 25.
Original post by British-Student
What a berk. I quite like being ID'd, I've only been 18 for about 2 months so it's nice being able to say "Why yes, yes I am of age!"

I still get a fear of it being rejected, and them saying "This isn't your ID, clear off" though :tongue:

Get a pink driving liscence you will feel even prouder lol.
So what if it's a 60 year old with a walking stick, do they have to bring ID? If not, why not?

Sometimes I think people seriously just take the ****. I understand why the procedure is in place and everything but why can't people just use their common sense? If you actually know the person and they've shown ID before then I don't get why you'd ask them for it again unless you're trying to **** them off.

Also, I've shown ID before (passport) and the passport expired a few months before so I can't travel with it. "We know you're 18 but the passport has to be valid" :rolleyes:
I might find it annoying if it actually happened frequently or for whatever reason I didn't my licence/ a form of ID.
Reply 45
I never get ID'd and rarely ever did....I look old for my age...general body abuse.
I always have my id ready just incase. Sometimes they don't ask. Since I've been going out to clubs I only never been Ided twice, it was so strange putting my id back in my purse :tongue:.

I used to work in game and it was the worst. As we would have wee boys come in about 12/13 trying to buy 18 games. And be like, my mum said I can buy it. Good for her but you still can't have it. Same with trading in games for cash you have to be over 18 and have id with address and a picture. And the amount of abuse you get for following legislation. :rolleyes:
Reply 47
The only thing that annoys me with ID is when people take the piss. Normally bouncers and it's happened quite a few times. I hand over my driving license and they'll look at me and it 3 or 4 times, then ask me if it's my brothers, or if I'm sure I'm 18 etc. I get that it's your job but in the queue people have been calling me by the name on the card, I look exactly like the picture on the card, I'm with a bunch of people who are 19 and 20 too, I'm in a student town, on a student night and so on.

There's legitimate suspicion and the point where come on, stop taking the piss.
Original post by Steevee
The only thing that annoys me with ID is when people take the piss. Normally bouncers and it's happened quite a few times. I hand over my driving license and they'll look at me and it 3 or 4 times, then ask me if it's my brothers, or if I'm sure I'm 18 etc. I get that it's your job but in the queue people have been calling me by the name on the card, I look exactly like the picture on the card, I'm with a bunch of people who are 19 and 20 too, I'm in a student town, on a student night and so on.

There's legitimate suspicion and the point where come on, stop taking the piss.

Indeed.
Hell I was once told my driving license was fake because it is has Welsh on it (the ones issued in Wales have Welsh and English on them). I was also once told that it was fake because it was a new design (they had just changed the design, fair enough - but if your job relies on you IDing people then you really should know about things like that). Asking you what the postcode is etc etc is also totally stupid and pointless.

Original post by MrHappy_J
I went into a pub once just for a meal and got ID'd straight away. I was like "whoa, I haven't even ordered a drink yet, I was just going to have bangers and mash and a cuppa" :lolwut:

Thats also very annoying, as you don't even have to be 18 to have a drink if you are having a meal. I really don't see any reason why under 18's shouldn't be allowed in pubs if you are having food.
(edited 10 years ago)
She should grow up. I'm 23 and got IDed for buying a pack of non-alcoholic chocolates the other day.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Indeed.
Hell I was once told my driving license was fake because it is has Welsh on it (the ones issued in Wales have Welsh and English on them). I was also once told that it was fake because it was a new design (they had just changed the design, fair enough - but if your job relies on you IDing people then you really should know about things like that). Asking you what the postcode is etc etc is also totally stupid and pointless.

Thats also very annoying, as you don't even have to be 18 to have a drink if you are having a meal. I really don't see any reason why under 18's shouldn't be allowed in pubs if you are having food.

now that I did not know.
im 21 but I look about 14 lol.
Sometimes it can be annoying being ID'd because of the embarrassment and the shock especially if a lot of people are around.

A few months ago back when I was 19 (I'm 20 now) I got asked for I'D when buying a blooming energy drink. It's called black something, it's like a beer can. Anyway I was so shocked at this I didn't even protest, so I was there fumbling through my wallet trying to find my driving license, not a pleasant experience. Eventually I showed her my I'D and she was even kind enough to apologize.

Now before any smartass replies and says "she was just doing her job" "or its against the law" remember I was ID's for an energy drink, not alcohol, not a knife, cigarettes but a ****ing energy drink. So obviously the asking for the ID caught me off guard.

On the other hand, getting ID'd can be a good thing because:

- it shows you that you look young for your age which is a good thing. You may hate looking younger now that you're a teenager but when you're 30 yrs old+ you'll cherish it.

- and most of all proving them wrong is so blooming satisfying. Especially when the cashier looks at you disbelievingly doubting that you're of legal age, it's a big massive "**** you" when I pull out my pink driving license and prove I'm of legal age. Sometimes I feel like saying, "how do you feel now, bitch?" :lol:

Original post by hothedgehog
She should grow up. I'm 23 and got IDed for buying a pack of non-alcoholic chocolates the other day.

Either that's a typo or this is a serious wtf moment.
Reply 52
Original post by ironandwine
I work in a bar - the best forms of "I.D" people think will be acceptable I've come across in my job include guys taking their tops off and showing me their tattoos "look I'm obviously old enough...blah blah blah." Idiots.

I got someone try to use a PADI license once, it's amazing what people think they can get away with. Although I did once get served in a spoons using the combination of my EHIC and student cards.
I've never been asked for ID in my life, which is quite surprising considering I look about 15 (I'm a few months shy of 20).
Reply 54
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that

I would be quite flattered if I was ID'ed, but unfortunately it doesn't tend to happen very much.
Original post by Ice Constricter
Sometimes it can be annoying being ID'd because of the embarrassment and the shock especially if a lot of people are around.

A few months ago back when I was 19 (I'm 20 now) I got asked for I'D when buying a blooming energy drink. It's called black something, it's like a beer can. Anyway I was so shocked at this I didn't even protest, so I was there fumbling through my wallet trying to find my driving license, not a pleasant experience. Eventually I showed her my I'D and she was even kind enough to apologize.

I remember on a school trip when I was 12 we stopped at a service station and my friend and I bought a 4-pack of Red Bull, no problem. Back on the bus, the guys behind us were complaining loudly because they'd tried to buy the same 4-packs in the same shop and been refused, and they looked older than me and my friend. Still don't understand what that was about. Is there actually an age limit on energy drinks?
Reply 56
Original post by sweetestwave
I remember on a school trip when I was 12 we stopped at a service station and my friend and I bought a 4-pack of Red Bull, no problem. Back on the bus, the guys behind us were complaining loudly because they'd tried to buy the same 4-packs in the same shop and been refused, and they looked older than me and my friend. Still don't understand what that was about. Is there actually an age limit on energy drinks?

Yes, there is.

You have to be 16 to buy it. It's not that strict in corner shops because the majority of kids end up buying Boost energy drink which is like 50p.

I haven't been refused sale when I bought Red Bull at the age of 15, probably because most kids couldn't afford it.
Reply 57
The law is very strict with underage smoking and so on and at the same time very flawed.

Its extremely difficult ID'ing people and so on that some shops, YES SOME SHOPS don't bother ID'ing.

A few nights ago, I went with two girls into a corner shop at about 2A.M.

One girl wanted to buy booze and told me to go with her to the counter. She asked the guy for Jack Daniels, and she wasn't even ID'd even though she was half my height and looked ever so young. Was actually 18 (JUST!)

However, I noticed a bunch of chavs right behind me with no ID except some school ID and they also bought some booze. They actually were school children as I can tell from their height and so on. They even baitly laughed out loud and personally told me on the way out that they were in fact 16 and on their way to a rave. Awkward, I know! Don't know how they got away with it though.
Because it turns what should be a peaceful, convivial night out in to a confrontation before the evening is even started. Its utterly absurd considering the number of paralytic 17 year olds that still somehow seem to get in.
I think some people are just unreasonable and like to start trouble. I'm 20 but I look about 16/17 so I usually get ID'd. It doesn't bother me, I don't see why anyone would get offended by it.

Quick Reply

Latest