The Student Room Group

"Benefit cuts: Monday will be the day that defines this government..."

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by evantej

The fact is you lived at home when you were on JSA. Your parents subsidised you and you frankly have no idea how easy or hard it is to get by on benefits.

Yeah, I noticed that. Some people are just so lacking in self awareness its painful.
Reply 81
I was on benefits for a large part of the 1990s.
Original post by Kibalchich
You didn't actually read that did you.

Of course I've read it.

That article put a negative spin on it. It doesn't matter, it supports all the data assertions I've made and they look decent to me. NYT took an editorial position against it, but it's a program that's still running and has the support of the public.
Reply 83
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
Of course I've read it.

That article put a negative spin on it. It doesn't matter, it supports all the data assertions I've made and they look decent to me. NYT took an editorial position against it, but it's a program that's still running and has the support of the public.

Its clear you didn't read it, or at best you skim read it.
Original post by n00
:rolleyes:
And if say 6-8% could be expected to find employment without being on workfare?

Were you looking for this?
http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd5/rports2007-2008/rrep533.pdf

Have fun cherry picking the positives out of that. :wink:

+repped

That's what I was looking for.
Reply 85
+repped

That's what I was looking for.

You won't read that either.
If 'there aren't any jobs ' why is my current employer struggling to fill entry level roles even though they provide subsidised transport ( that will take you home to your door after a twilight /night ) pay weekly, are responsible with regard to working conditions and PPE ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by zippyRN
If 'there aren't any jobs ' why is my current employer struggling to fill entry level roles even though they provide subsidised transport ( that will take you home to your door after a twilight /night ) pay weekly, are responsible with regard to working conditions and PPE ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Post a link to the job.
Reply 88
Original post by zippyRN

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can any of us comment without knowing the details?

What we do know is what the government's own statistics tell us about the state of the job market.
Reply 89
Original post by Budgie

Congratulations. You have just provided an interesting case study into whether or not JSA is sufficiently high to stop people from seeking work.

Original post by Budgie
Again, using an unrepresentative anecdote to characterize millions of people. It's vile.

Well played.
You won't read that either.

Of course I read it.

I now:
-support the Australian model, because it's fair.
-accept that workfare alone fails to get people into jobs.

I am perfectly happy to change my opinions based on sound cited research.
Reply 91
Of course I read it.

I now:
-support the Australian model, because it's fair.
-accept that workfare alone fails to get people into jobs.

I am perfectly happy to change my opinions based on sound cited research.

+1 for changing your mind based on evidence, however what are your reasons for supporting the Australian model? What is "fair" about it?
+1 for changing your mind based on evidence, however what are your reasons for supporting the Australian model? What is "fair" about it?

After six-months the unemployed are asked to undertake a placement in, from what I can gather from the report, in the non-profit sector. I think it's fair that the recipients of support are asked to contribute to the community and make a valuable contribution. There's not a great deal of funding for community projects and this, as far as I can understand, makes them happen, while providing experience to participants. Seems like a good idea to me. They're not placing anyone in Tesco, which I do agree is a questionable idea.

Participants work for up to six months on community projects run by councils, charities and community organisations and receive a $20 a fortnight supplement on
their unemployment payments. Placements are made in organisations involved in
heritage, the environment, arts, community care, tourism, sport and the provision,
restoration and maintenance of community services and facilities
Reply 93
After six-months the unemployed are asked to undertake a placement in, from what I can gather from the report, in the non-profit sector. I think it's fair that the recipients of support are asked to contribute to the community and make a valuable contribution. There's not a great deal of funding for community projects and this, as far as I can understand, makes them happen, while providing experience to participants. Seems like a good idea to me. They're not placing anyone in Tesco, which I do agree is a questionable idea.

Why not just give people a job? With a wage and employment rights?
Why not just give people a job? With a wage and employment rights?

Where would we get the money? I'm all for universal employment, but it didn't work out that well for the eastern bloc economically.
Reply 95
Where would we get the money? I'm all for universal employment, but it didn't work out that well for the eastern bloc economically.

Taxes. If there are things needing doing, pay people a wage. Pretty much a basic, otherwise you're only undermining pay and conditions for everyone else. Especially given that this workfare programme makes it harder for participants to find jobs.
The only problem with these changes is that they do not go anywhere even approaching far enough.
Taxes. If there are things needing doing, pay people a wage. Pretty much a basic, otherwise you're only undermining pay and conditions for everyone else. Especially given that this workfare programme makes it harder for participants to find jobs.

As far as I cans see if you follow that logic those community projects wouldn't happen or would be greatly diminished.

They might not be strictly needed, certainly not at the full price, but they're still a valuable contribution to the community and this makes them happen. And I don't see how it would undermining pay and conditions given that it's so strictly limited to a few under-funded areas. I mean it might to an extent in those areas (or it might expand employment a bit due to needed supervision), but not in the whole economy at all.

And as for the suggestion that it makes it harder to find jobs, I don't think the evidence is there. The DWP document doesn't cite any such evidence; It states that in one study these people found more jobs and in another long-term employment prospects were similar.

Anyway, I don't have any more time to procrastinate on TSR. So have a nice evening, I won't be posting here anymore.
Reply 98
As far as I cans see if you follow that logic those community projects wouldn't happen or would be greatly diminished.

They might not be strictly needed, certainly not at the full price, but they're still a valuable contribution to the community and this makes them happen. And I don't see how it would undermining pay and conditions given that it's so strictly limited to a few under-funded areas. I mean it might to an extent in those areas (or it might expand employment a bit due to needed supervision), but not in the whole economy at all.

And as for the suggestion that it makes it harder to find jobs, I don't think the evidence is there. The DWP document doesn't cite any such evidence; It states that in one study these people found more jobs and in another long-term employment prospects were similar.

Anyway, I don't have any more time to procrastinate on TSR. So have a nice evening, I won't be posting here anymore.

Back to you not reading things properly again.

Have a nice life.
Original post by OU Student
So, can we not afford to pay people benefits; but can give higher earners a tax cut?

Hate this argument. High tax rates drive rich people away or encourage tax avoidance. The reason it was put up to 50% in the last months of labour was political point scoring because they knew it was costly and that the tories would lower it then they could make the conservatives look like the bad guys.

When gordon brown raised it to 50% the amount of people declaring a pre tax income over £1million fell from 16,000 to 6,000. Now i know some were lost due to the economic situation but when it was dropped to 45% the number rose to 11,000.
The decision to raise it to 50% cost the country £7billion (can't remember if this is per annum or for the whole period it was at 50%). at 50% you get more per individual but less collectively.

This tax break for the rich argument is nonsense but seems to be spouted every time someone opposes a conservative view.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending