The Student Room Group

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

Poll

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

Obviously it was the egg! :chicken:

But what do you think?
(in under 140 characters)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The egg. Proto-chicken ---> egg ---> chicken.
Eggs came before birds as a whole.
Reply 3
The egg. Dinosaurs laid eggs and they existed before chickens.
One things for sure, twitter 140 characters came first. But i'll go with the egg.
The (chicken) egg. The egg was laid by something very close to, but not quite, a chicken.
I wonder what protochicken tasted like:rolleyes:
Original post by Jacob :)
I wonder what protochicken tasted like:rolleyes:

It was the best thing since sliced bread.
Reply 8
Why is this even questioned! Not like a random chicken can appear out of thin air!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Non-chicken lays an egg with a more chicken like animal in it. This happens loads of times and then one of the eggs has a chicken in it!

Also, eggs of various species existed long before chickens ever did, could be another answer.
A circle has no beginning.
Reply 11
Original post by Maid Marian
A circle has no beginning.

Good job its not a circle then isn't it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The egg :h:
God

I joke, I'm an atheist,

"What came first: the chicken or the egg? It’s an age-old puzzle that’s stumped generations of scientists.
Eggs came after chickens... apparentlyEggs came after chickens… and that’s a fact

But now they believe they have cracked the conundrum of what came first.

British researchers say the chicken must have come first as the formation of eggs is only possible thanks to a protein found in the chicken’s ovaries.

‘It had long been suspected that the egg came first but now we have the scientific proof that shows that in fact the chicken came first,’ said Dr Colin Freeman, from Sheffield University, who worked with counterparts at Warwick University.

‘The protein had been identified before and it was linked to egg formation but by examining it closely we have been able to see how it controls the process,’ he added.

The protein called ovocledidin-17 (OC-17) acts as a catalyst to speed up the development of the shell.

Scientists used a super computer called HECToR, based in Edinburgh, to ‘zoom in’ on the formation of an egg.

It showed OC-17 was crucial in kick-starting crystallisation the early stages of forming a shell.

The protein coverts calcium carbonate into calcite crystals which makes up the egg shell, creating six grammes of shell every 24 hours.

Prof John Harding, also of Sheffield University, said the discovery could have other uses.

‘Understanding how chickens make shells is fascinating in itself but can also give clues towards designing new materials,’ he said."
Reply 14
Original post by marcus2001
God

I joke, I'm an atheist,

Article isn't entirely correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_or_the_egg#Responses_to_the_dilemma
Reply 15
The creationist.
Reply 16
Haven't you guys thought... You can't have an egg without a chicken? A chicken lays and egg.. Not and egg lays a chicken. Soo therefore it would be impossible for an egg to come first without there being a chicken.
Reply 17
The dickhead.
Reply 18
Original post by MrMillsy
Haven't you guys thought... You can't have an egg without a chicken? A chicken lays and egg.. Not and egg lays a chicken. Soo therefore it would be impossible for an egg to come first without there being a chicken.

Its even more impossible for a chicken to come from thin air!

Couldnt a close ancestor to the chicken/bird lay an egg? Y'know evolution and all that.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Chegg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending