The Student Room Group

Should shops be allowed to open on Christmas Day?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by manchesterunited15
It's similar to opposing gay marriage if you think about it. You're not forced to do it and both parties agree. Why would you stop them?

Because a lot of workers, especially retail 'grunts', are given a choice between working Christmas/Bank Holidays etc or being sacked - which is not a real choice. So it is not similar at all.
Original post by Mess.
Because a lot of workers, especially retail 'grunts', are given a choice between working Christmas/Bank Holidays etc or being sacked - which is not a real choice. So it is not similar at all.

Well obviously if the law was changed to allow shops to open on Christmas it should also be changed so that workers aren't forced to work then.
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's nothing like the gay marriage debate. Try again.

Explain how?
Reply 63
Well obviously if the law was changed to allow shops to open on Christmas it should also be changed so that workers aren't forced to work then.

Workers aren't forced by law to work Bank Holiday's but they still are. If they don't they will find a reason to be sacked or forced to leave by refusing to give them extra shifts or giving them the bad ones.

If you have ever worked in retail, it would be pretty easy to understand why there isn't a real choice.
It's similar to opposing gay marriage if you think about it. You're not forced to do it and both parties agree. Why would you stop them?

I can actually understand you're reasoning here
Explain how?

It's no similiar to the gay marriage debate at all. A great deal of people want gay marriage because it is about equality, giving gay people the same rights concerning marriage as people who are straight. It is not some irrelevant, small time concern it is actually an important social movement. This matter of opening shops on Christmas day however is a small matter that really is of little concern. I doubt a great deal of people are interested, it is not of great social concern and keeping the shops shut on Christmas day would not effect the economy otherwise it would have already been noted and ratified years ago. The two are not comparable whatsoever.
Original post by Mess.
Workers aren't forced by law to work Bank Holiday's but they still are. If they don't they will find a reason to be sacked or forced to leave by refusing to give them extra shifts or giving them the bad ones.

If you have ever worked in retail, it would be pretty easy to understand why there isn't a real choice.

But at christmas 90% of workers won't want to work, it would make no sense to get rid of them all. On bank holidays it's different as people aren't that bothered.
It's no similiar to the gay marriage debate at all. A great deal of people want gay marriage because it is about equality, giving gay people the same rights concerning marriage as people who are straight. It is not some irrelevant, small time concern it is actually an important social movement. This matter of opening shops on Christmas day however is a small matter that really is of little concern. I doubt a great deal of people are interested, it is not of great social concern and keeping the shops shut on Christmas day would not effect the economy otherwise it would have already been noted and ratified years ago. The two are not comparable whatsoever.

Obviously the scale and importance is completely different, but in terms of the actual argument, it's the same principle.
Reply 68
But at christmas 90% of workers won't want to work, it would make no sense to get rid of them all. On bank holidays it's different as people aren't that bothered.

But 90% of workers will not be the number that don't work. You don't understand the fear that those sort of jobs prey upon as the managers know the low paid older people and the students cannot afford to lose their jobs so can pretty much be bullied into anything to keep the job.
My local indy off licence always opens on xmas day
Obviously the scale and importance is completely different, but in terms of the actual argument, it's the same principle.

Not really since they are two completely different things.
"Why should they open?" is the question. You justify them opening on that day.

I wouldn't say that they [I]should/I] they be open, nor would I say that they shouldn't open. The choice should be theirs and theirs alone.

There should be no requirement that they do not open, just as there is no requirement that they do open.
Not really since they are two completely different things.

Well I just explained to you how your argument is actually very similar to the argument against gay marriage :rolleyes:
Reply 73
Original post by Lexxaa
Maybe a corner shop if you run out of food. Rest should be closed :P Come on give people a break! :biggrin:

No, no, no :tongue: What if a corner shop doesn't have what you need and only a supermarket has, the thing you need is essential and you cannot be without it?
Reply 74
Original post by SirMasterKey
But what are the chances of you desperately running out of food on one day. Pretty slim really.

If you buy in small quantities, you can run out of food pretty quickly. Or if you forgot to buy something and on that day remembered that you really need few things but everything is closed down..
Nope, retail is the industry of scum.
Original post by ForgetMe
If you buy in small quantities, you can run out of food pretty quickly. Or if you forgot to buy something and on that day remembered that you really need few things but everything is closed down..

The you're a bit of a noblet as it's very easy to just stock up on christmas eve.
Reply 77
If shops were open Christmas day they would, presumably, be as busy as shops are on Xmas eve as people would leave their shopping until even later. (Not everyone has presents on xmas morning and people might buy things late on xmas day purely because they don't have to be organised for a day of closures). This peak trade means that it is extremely unlikely that retail staff would be given the day off, I work at one of the biggest retailers and if I asked for Xmas eve off, or boxing day or any of the days around it I'd be told a flat no. Anyone calling in sick would have to provide evidence or face being dismissed (this actually does happen) so I think some posters on here are being painfully naive in assuming that if people don't want to work they won't have to. I didn't want to work 8 days up to xmas day with bronchitis dealing with customers and preparing for boxing day sale too, but I had to because I needed the money. Once businesses get to a certain size there's no way staff have a choice as to whether they work on busy days or not. They do it or they get sacked.
how about just letting people make their own choices about whether to open or not? :dontknow:
Reply 79
Original post by Red Richie
how about just letting people make their own choices about whether to open or not? :dontknow:

Because it doesn't just have an impact on the decision maker, it is the grunts that suffer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending