The Student Room Group

Airline charging overweight passengers more

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Good idea. Wish all airlines had it.

Airlines cost per flight increases if they have more heavy passengers on board because they need to load more fuel for a given amount of passengers. If they only charge a set amount per seat but more of their passengers are overweight, they will make less money on that particular flight, and if the trend is a general increase in weight then they will be forced to raise the price of a ticket for a seat.

So why should the general populations increasing obesity increase the cost of a ticket for a healthy weighted person? If you're heavier, you should be the one contributing more towards the increased fuel costs.
Reply 21
I'm in 2 minds about it.
It's good because it may encourage frequent fliers to lose weight and also reduce the likelihood of incredibly uncomfortable seating arrangements...but where people are willing to pay the extra, a charge paid to the airline makes no difference to the person being crushed!
It's also incredibly unfair to charge people more because they are bigger if they are a healthy weight!
Original post by Doctor Dolittle
Is it fair for those who are overweight for other reasons besides their own conscious actions? For example, drug aide effects, certain medical disorders, increased muscle mass, eating behaviours reinforced as a child, etc.

'Fairness' has nothing to do with it. It's an economic decision.

Should the poor be charged less in Tesco and the rich charged more to pay for this subsidy?

It would be economic madness in a free market.
Original post by Katie_p
I'm in 2 minds about it.
It's good because it may encourage frequent fliers to lose weight and also reduce the likelihood of incredibly uncomfortable seating arrangements...but where people are willing to pay the extra, a charge paid to the airline makes no difference to the person being crushed!
It's also incredibly unfair to charge people more because they are bigger if they are a healthy weight!

No it isn't.

You understand that the more weight a plane needs to carry, the more fuel it needs to reach the destination?

It therefore doesn't matter why the weight increases; it merely matters that it does.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Psyk
It's a fairly sound idea, but it is a bit unfair on tall people. A perfectly healthy tall person is going to have to pay more than a healthy short person. So it's not just fat people who are going to lose out.

That, and the fact that men will always pay more than women, on average. In a way it is quite sexist actually.
Totally agree with this. The fatter you are the more weight a plane carries and so the more fuel a plane needs. Why should a skinny person subsidise a fatty?

Also if you're tall and you need more legroom- the airlines expect you to pay... why discriminate between tall and fat people?

Can't see how it will work - will it be a per kg price or will there be categories? Also, what will happen to those who put on weight months after they book the flight? Or those that go away on an all inc holiday and come back half a stone heavier?.

Maybe a better policy is that everyone pays a 'base price' then once at the airport your weight is talen and then you pay a 'surcharge' of £x per kg
I agree with this policy completely (and being quite tall it might put prices up for me were other airlines to take it up).
Reply 27
Agree.
Incentive to lose weight and it makes financial sense.
Why on earth wouldn't you? Its hardly discrimination as weight is incredibly variable! And a result of the environment mostly.
Lay off the McDonalds, pay less to fly (Y)
Reply 28
an incentive to lose weight is exactly what Britain needs with our soaring childhood obesity rates
Reply 29
Original post by UnderPost
Totally agree with this. The fatter you are the more weight a plane carries and so the more fuel a plane needs. Why should a skinny person subsidise a fatty?

Why should a healthy, tall, muscular person pay more than a short, underweight person?
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
'Fairness' has nothing to do with it. It's an economic decision.

Should the poor be charged less in Tesco and the rich charged more to pay for this subsidy?

It would be economic madness in a free market.

I don't have an opinion on the matter. What about when buying clothes would they be charged at different prices depending on whether you are a M or an XXL? Or should there be scales when you step onto a train so calculate your ticket price?
Original post by Doctor Dolittle
I don't have an opinion on the matter. What about when buying clothes would they be charged at different prices depending on whether you are a M or an XXL? Or should there be scales when you step onto a train so calculate your ticket price?

If I were the CEO of a clothing company, I would charge slightly more for larger sizes than an M and slightly less for sizes smaller than that.

I don't know the extent to which the weight of passengers determines the cost of the operation of a train - but I presume it does bear some relation to it. If the relation is significant; i.e. it is worthwhile economically to adjust prices accordingly, then I would do so if I were the CEO of a rail company.
Original post by Psyk
Why should a healthy, tall, muscular person pay more than a short, underweight person?

Because he weighs more?

If he drives a car, that person would have to refuel more often than the skinny guy.
Can see Ryanair doing this before long, considering they wanted to have standing room on their (very) short haul flights and charge a quid for the loo...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
It's disgusting, what has this world come to?! Number one, people will lie about their weight. Obvious. They can't measure it, it's an infringement of privacy. It's so insecure and insulting. Socially, this will increase the number of people with eating disorders because again, pressure is put on being "THIN AND UNDERWEIGHT".

Footballers and other sports-people may be quite heavy in weight, but be perfectly healthy - yet they have to pay more!?

ABSOLUTELY ridiculous!
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
If I were the CEO of a clothing company, I would charge slightly more for larger sizes than an M and slightly less for sizes smaller than that.

I don't know the extent to which the weight of passengers determines the cost of the operation of a train - but I presume it does bear some relation to it. If the relation is significant; i.e. it is worthwhile economically to adjust prices accordingly, then I would do so if I were the CEO of a rail company.

If there was a tax on greenhouse gas emissions, would you charge people who expend more carbon dioxide more greatly? Silly question, don't answer.

What you're saying makes sense to be fair. Just interesting to think about, doubt it would ever happen. It might sort out the obesity problem though.
Reply 36
Original post by UnderPost
Because he weighs more?

If he drives a car, that person would have to refuel more often than the skinny guy.

So why is everyone making this about fat people?
Original post by Psyk
So why is everyone making this about fat people?

I think because a lot of us have been there on a plane, and you see the person next to you who is clearly overweight - and you think "hmmm, why should I pay the same air fare as this bloke".
Happened to the fat guy from lost

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Faberry
They can't measure it, it's an infringement of privacy.

They can and they will (in Samoa at least).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending