The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantmeowage
Welcome! :smile: I'm partial to a hobnob if there's one going...? :wink:

I shall have to take a look at the biscuit tin to see if there's any left :biggrin: What are you going to be studying at uni?
Original post by ChocoholicPolyglot
I shall have to take a look at the biscuit tin to see if there's any left :biggrin: What are you going to be studying at uni?

Languages! :smile: I daresay we have something alike if your username is something to go by? :wink:
Languages! :smile: I daresay we have something alike if your username is something to go by? :wink:

Ooh la la. Indeed we do. I'm going to be doing Modern Languages too!

Oh hey that rhymed.
Hi there :smile: Occasional drinker over here. Never been drunk, don't see the fun in it. Newcastle Uni for me!
Reply 24
Hahaha, that sounds like a busy schedule. :tongue: They have a cake society at one of the universities, so I'll definitely be onto that one... :colondollar: just hope the hallmates share the enthusiasm (considering baking a cake to try and get them onside before they mention alcohol :tongue:)

:lol: I play lacrosse for the regional team, I want to take up hockey (and swimming again) and I've been riding since forever :colondollar:

Cake is good :yep: made some brownie cupcakes with chocolatee chip cookie icing earlier :woo:

:lol: you must let me know how that goes!
Ooh la la. Indeed we do. I'm going to be doing Modern Languages too!

Oh hey that rhymed.

:redface: how exciting, which languages do you do? I've always wanted to try something new...

(this could get addictive...)

Original post by lilGem
:lol: I play lacrosse for the regional team, I want to take up hockey (and swimming again) and I've been riding since forever :colondollar:

Cake is good :yep: made some brownie cupcakes with chocolatee chip cookie icing earlier :woo:

:lol: you must let me know how that goes!

Oh wow, that's awesome. :smile: I would try riding, but I think my flubber might be a burden too many for them. :frown: They have an ultimate frisbee team though at one uni, so this may have to be done! :biggrin:

Hahaha, hooray for baking! I'm always really stupid and forget to rearrange the racks in the oven and then burn myself in the process. :frown: I shall! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
:redface: how exciting, which languages do you do? I've always wanted to try something new...

(this could get addictive...)

At uni I will do Italian and Spanish. I sure hope I manage. I currently do Arabic at A Level but with the Egyptian dialect I am a fluent speaker. YET I have to admit my Standard Arabic is a little weaker. What about you? :biggrin:

I shall stop with this rhyming thing right there :tongue:

And I have to admit, finding enough fellow language applicants is a touch mission. We are a rare breed. :cool::cool:
At uni I will do Italian and Spanish. I sure hope I manage. I currently do Arabic at A Level but with the Egyptian dialect I am a fluent speaker. YET I have to admit my Standard Arabic is a little weaker. What about you? :biggrin:

I shall stop with this rhyming thing right there :tongue:

And I have to admit, finding enough fellow language applicants is a touch mission. We are a rare breed. :cool::cool:

:redface: Arabic is definitely on the list of languages for me in the future, very jealous right now! :frown: French, German, and Spanish. So much nerves for the onslaught of oral exams to come! :P and indeed, teetotal language applicants are like endangered tortoises :P
:redface: Arabic is definitely on the list of languages for me in the future, very jealous right now! :frown: French, German, and Spanish. So much nerves for the onslaught of oral exams to come! :P and indeed, teetotal language applicants are like endangered tortoises :P

Aaah I am lucky that I don't have any oral exam:wink: I think you will be fine. You seem like a gifted language learner :biggrin:. I'm pretty sure you'd nail Arabic. Where are you planning on doing your year abroad?
WELCOME!! :smile: :woo::happy2:

Surely I can't be the only non-drinker going to uni this year? Not putting down those that do, of course, live and let live and all that, but just to make me feel a little more secure, I thought we teetotallers/occasional drinkers could do with our little corner of the forum for Freshers this year.

Please keep me company, I have orange juice. :tongue: :biggrin:

thank god there are more people out there like me!!!!!!

i love this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are others out there?! :shock: Hooray! I was genuinely worried about the whole alcohol thing because, bar the odd cider, I don't drink, and neither do my parents really. I don't see the attraction of it really, as most alcoholic stuff just isn't to my taste, so why would I want to drink it?

By the way, I'm a prospective Cardiff fresher in September, studying Chemistry.
Aaah I am lucky that I don't have any oral exam:wink: I think you will be fine. You seem like a gifted language learner :biggrin:. I'm pretty sure you'd nail Arabic. Where are you planning on doing your year abroad?

Hahaha, how do you get away with no oral exam? :redface: and I haven't got my grades yet :wink: I'd love to do Arabic, but whenever I see an ع my throat needs soothing (so I feed it more cake :wink:)

Don't even know! I have to go to all the countries, but I so love to do Germany at Christmas! :smile: All the lights and the music... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Original post by AlexanderCLea
There are others out there?! :shock: Hooray! I was genuinely worried about the whole alcohol thing because, bar the odd cider, I don't drink, and neither do my parents really. I don't see the attraction of it really, as most alcoholic stuff just isn't to my taste, so why would I want to drink it?

Welcome Alexander! Have to agree, my friends laugh whenever I compare the taste of alcohol to stale pee. But then, each to their own! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hahaha, how do you get away with no oral exam? :redface: and I haven't got my grades yet :wink: I'd love to do Arabic, but whenever I see an ع my throat needs soothing (so I feed it more cake :wink:)

Don't even know! I have to go to all the countries, but I so love to do Germany at Christmas! :smile: All the lights and the music... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's no oral component in the Arabic A Level :biggrin: I don't know why. There's just a nasty 3hr 45 mins essay based paper for my A2 this year.

Germany at Christmas is spectacular! It's the Christmas markets that I really want to visit. I will be in Spain during my year abroad (hopefully Granada :rolleyes:) but come Christmas holidays I am definately going to be in Germany. And their castles are just....dreamy...
Original post by ce303ce303
thank god there are more people out there like me!!!!!!

i love this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AlexanderCLea

You will never be alone :biggrin:
There's no oral component in the Arabic A Level :biggrin: I don't know why. There's just a nasty 3hr 45 mins essay based paper for my A2 this year.

Germany at Christmas is spectacular! It's the Christmas markets that I really want to visit. I will be in Spain during my year abroad (hopefully Granada :rolleyes:) but come Christmas holidays I am definately going to be in Germany. And their castles are just....dreamy...

Ah! Gosh that sounds like death! :redface: do you only do Arabic at the moment?

Oh stop it, you're making me jealous already! :rolleyes: just don't take me to Munich during Oktoberfest, I might not fit in so well :wink: Can you only go to one country during your YA, then?
Ah! Gosh that sounds like death! :redface: do you only do Arabic at the moment?

Oh stop it, you're making me jealous already! :rolleyes: just don't take me to Munich during Oktoberfest, I might not fit in so well :wink: Can you only go to one country during your YA, then?

I'm doing Econ and Classical Civilisation (a fancy poncy name for Ancient History and Literature) too :smile:

I doubt anyone on this thread would fit in during Oktoberfest :wink:

I can go to both Spain and Italy (split the year) but I really want to do the Comenius or British Council Language Assistant placement which is why it would make sense for me to stick to one place only so that I can be in a school for its academic year start to finish. Taking the appealing option of studying in a uni is something I considered but the teaching placement would help me as I'm planning on teaching as a career in the future :colondollar: I love explaining things you see :cool: Plus, I have to be a Mod Lang teacher in order to make sure our breed doesn't die out!
I'm doing Econ and Classical Civilisation (a fancy poncy name for Ancient History and Literature) too :smile:

I doubt anyone on this thread would fit in during Oktoberfest :wink:

I can go to both Spain and Italy (split the year) but I really want to do the Comenius or British Council Language Assistant placement which is why it would make sense for me to stick to one place only so that I can be in a school for its academic year start to finish. Taking the appealing option of studying in a uni is something I considered but the teaching placement would help me as I'm planning on teaching as a career in the future :colondollar: I love explaining things you see :cool: Plus, I have to be a Mod Lang teacher in order to make sure our breed doesn't die out!

Wow, sounds deep. :redface: Good luck!! :smile:

That makes sense, the assistantship thing does sound really interesting. Apparently you really don't get up to much studying at a foreign uni, so I'm not going to bother. :smile: May as well get a little bit of work experience whilst I'm abroad, non? :smile: Did consider teaching, but I don't think I'm fantastic at explaining so I don't want to corrupt them with my lack of skills. :colondollar:
Wow, sounds deep. :redface: Good luck!! :smile:

That makes sense, the assistantship thing does sound really interesting. Apparently you really don't get up to much studying at a foreign uni, so I'm not going to bother. :smile: May as well get a little bit of work experience whilst I'm abroad, non? :smile: Did consider teaching, but I don't think I'm fantastic at explaining so I don't want to corrupt them with my lack of skills. :colondollar:

Well there's plenty of time to decide. What uni are you going to by the way?
Well there's plenty of time to decide. What uni are you going to by the way?

Not sure yet :frown: You?
Reply 39
I'm also hoping to stay concious and in control of my behaviour at uni :smile:

Hooray for tea :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest