The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I agree it can't be applied to everyone, but some people do know or are strongly considering applying to Econ in the early stages of year 11.

Yeah, some. They probably take FM...

Edit: swings and roundabouts. Cba for this
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
My two cents on the FM debate...

I think it's more psychological than necessary (except for LSE and possible UCL) for instance if a student is not doing FM when he had the opportunity it makes it seem like he is incapable or doesn't have a robust interest in maths - which is v important for the degree. Therefore it puts someone who is doing it in a better light

Also it's excellent prep for the degree blah blah blah
(edited 11 years ago)
Currently studyin maths economics biology and chemistry. Got all A's in jan, with 100ums in econ1 and 98ums in maths. Is it wise to drop bio at a2 and pick up further maths - if i do i'll have 11 exams next june since jan exams are cancelled. So confused..
Original post by kiirankapoor
Currently studyin maths economics biology and chemistry. Got all A's in jan, with 100ums in econ1 and 98ums in maths. Is it wise to drop bio at a2 and pick up further maths - if i do i'll have 11 exams next june since jan exams are cancelled. So confused..

Only if you enjoy maths and you reckon you could handle it then why not :smile:, where you considering applying?

As has previously been said, it's not completely unheard of for people to get into the top 5 unis for Economics without Further Maths, e.g by doing 3 sciences and maths like yourself. That being said, Economics is rather mathematically rigorous at university with differential equations and the like so Further Maths would certainly be useful. Ultimately, I believe it comes down to whether you'd think that you'd be able to handle the workload and 11 exams next summer as having good grades is much more important than the supposedly 'optimal' subject choice.

Only pick up further maths if you enjoy maths, and even then how useful it will be will depend on the modules you choose for your AS. 11 exams isn't that bad-was the number I had last year.
Oh I just realised I did the same subjects as you for AS (nearly).
I wish I'd dropped biology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86

Do it! Not only would it improve your application but it will also be much more useful for your degree. Also when you have your offers you will know which exams are important so it's not like you need to ace all 11 exams (like for AS) Eg: for me only 2/8 are really important (the rest I can get Es)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Only if you enjoy maths and you reckon you could handle it then why not :smile:, where you considering applying?

Cambridgge, LSE, UCL WARWICK etc wbu?
Original post by Epic Flawless
As has previously been said, it's not completely unheard of for people to get into the top 5 unis for Economics without Further Maths, e.g by doing 3 sciences and maths like yourself. That being said, Economics is rather mathematically rigorous at university with differential equations and the like so Further Maths would certainly be useful. Ultimately, I believe it comes down to whether you'd think that you'd be able to handle the workload and 11 exams next summer as having good grades is much more important than the supposedly 'optimal' subject choice.

Thanks. Ive handled 22 exams at gcse all in june, but again that was gcse......
Original post by amg_22
Do it! Not only would it improve your application but it will also be much more useful for your degree. Also when you have your offers you will know which exams are important so it's not like you need to ace all 11 exams (like for AS) Eg: for me only 2/8 are really important (the rest I can get Es)

Aha thanks i might do that then.
Original post by the.cookie.monster
Only pick up further maths if you enjoy maths, and even then how useful it will be will depend on the modules you choose for your AS. 11 exams isn't that bad-was the number I had last year.
Oh I just realised I did the same subjects as you for AS (nearly).
I wish I'd dropped biology.

What did u take for a2? And how did u so eventually? How did u cope with taking 11 exams in ur final year all in one go?
Reply 91
Original post by CD315
No further maths?

I'm taking further maths AS during my A2 year , considering Alevel further in one year but will be too stressful I reckon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right. But wow 11 exams still think its too difficult. But if i revise throughout the year... I could do it. Arghhh if only jan exams were still there

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 93
Original post by Rafael_96
I'm taking further maths AS during my A2 year , considering Alevel further in one year but will be too stressful I reckon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do it!
Applying for PPE, am I allowed to be here? :colondollar:

Currently taking Maths, Economics, History and English, hoping to get AAAA.
Would ideally like to apply to Oxford, Durham, Warwick (for PPE) and UCL and LSE (for philosophy and economics) but worried I'm being a bit too ambitious. Do you guys reckon I should replace one of them with an AAB university like Manchester?
Original post by thisisjokes

Would ideally like to apply to Oxford, Durham, Warwick (for PPE) and UCL and LSE (for philosophy and economics) but worried I'm being a bit too ambitious. Do you guys reckon I should replace one of them with an AAB university like Manchester?

GCSEs?
Original post by tooambitious
GCSEs?

10A*s and a B in Art (I can't draw to save my life :colondollar:)

GCSEs?

you
10A*s and a B in Art (I can't draw to save my life :colondollar:)

You'll be fine :smile:

Any advice and tips for econ1 and econ2? How did you revise for econ1 and how are you revising for econ2?
Reply 99
Hello everyone, I thought I may as well post since I've been lurking around this and the 2013 entry thread for quite sometime now.

Studying Maths, Further Maths, Economics and French (and Critical Thinking) now and predicted all As at AS.

I will most likely apply for straight Economics at the top unis but considering Economics and French at universities such as Nottingham. I know LSE and Camb have really good language centres and Warwick do ERASMUS so it's not a massive deal anyway.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending