The Student Room Group

Help!!! Need to choose a 4th As level.

Hi there, I've chosen my As levels, but I want to change them, our school will let us change them but I dont know what to pick for my last one.
So far I have chosen:
Biology Chemistry Economics ????.
I dont really know what else to pick, the last one Im cosidering will probably be either Polotics, Business, Law.
All answers appreciated:smile:
Thanks.
Choose the one you'll like most, I hate buisness and dropped it for Politics (ended up being my most favourite subject in Alevel) anyway but it's personal choice really. What would you prefer, Politics, Business or Law.
Reply 2
Maths could come of use some point in life, universities also place it as a facilitating subject, whilst Law Politics and Business are not. But at the end of the day its up to you, out of those, Politics, but if you will work hard, then do maths
Reply 3
OP what are you thinking of doing at uni?
Original post by Robbie242
Maths could come of use some point in life, universities also place it as a facilitating subject, whilst Law Politics and Business are not. But at the end of the day its up to you, out of those, Politics, but if you will work hard, then do maths

University preferences do not equate to the level of difficulty in all cases- don't exaggerate the differences to much or op might think the other three are really easy. To me, politics was much harder than the 'traditional' and 'respected' geography.
Reply 5
Original post by Forget that
University preferences do not equate to the level of difficulty in all cases- don't exaggerate the differences to much or op might think the other three are really easy. To me, politics was much harder than the 'traditional' and 'respected' geography.

Facilitating subjects generally means that it is facilitating, meaning that it is more varied/more options, etc it will help in pretty much every area, subjects like eng lit, further maths and the sciences + history are also there. It doesn't mean the other ones aren't hard. And I can see where you got the hint that you thought I was attacking politics. ''if work hard do maths, otherwise do politics'' something along those lines, so I apoligise, I haven't experienced politics so I do not know its difficulty.
Reply 6
maths.
Reply 7
Maths would definitely be a good option and goes well with your other subjects aswell.
Facilitating subjects generally means that it is facilitating, meaning that it is more varied/more options, etc it will help in pretty much every area, subjects like eng lit, further maths and the sciences + history are also there. It doesn't mean the other ones aren't hard. And I can see where you got the hint that you thought I was attacking politics. ''if work hard do maths, otherwise do politics'' something along those lines, so I apoligise, I haven't experienced politics so I do not know its difficulty.

True, the term facilitating does mean that, i havent heard it used to describe that group however- may be something new, we just had 'blacklist' few years back :tongue:
Ironically i agree op should do maths, however people should be careful just disregarding other subjects... just in case they have a bit of shock when they're not as talked about on forums like this.
Reply 9
Original post by Acruzen
OP what are you thinking of doing at uni?

I have quite a few courses I like the look of, Biomedical sciences, Biological sciences, Business and management or economics.
Reply 10
I dont really want to pick maths beacuse I got a B at gcse, but also because I find it really really boring. But thats just my opinion, although it would tie in nicely with my other subjects, I think I like the sound of polotics.
:smile:
If you're thiinking about economics as a university degree then I would strongly suggest taking Maths to broaden the uni's you can apply to (as most of them require A level maths to do it!). However you can still get offers for Economics without having taken A level maths - I have 4 out of my 5 offers for economics without maths A level.

As stated above, maths would also go really well with chemistry and biology in the science-y department side of your subjects. Politics would only really help with economics, and then again only really in the A2 year (assuming you take both to A2 like I did), but I found politics fun and some of the things you learn in the second year are a bit mindboggling and bamboozling.

On the other hand, just do something that you enjoy or like the sound of! If the worst comes to the worst, you can always change the subject normally after two weeks (I did this with Geography where I was getting E's in homeworks etc., changed it to Chemistry and got an E overall in my AS level) - I must stress though that I was never really motivated to study chemistry, so if you do a subject which you have a real passion for then you will be motivated to study it in your own time and therefore stand a better chance at doing well in it.
Reply 12
Original post by Well Well....
I dont really want to pick maths beacuse I got a B at gcse, but also because I find it really really boring. But thats just my opinion, although it would tie in nicely with my other subjects, I think I like the sound of polotics.
:smile:
Maths at alevel, is somewhat arguably different to gcse, you get a choice of modules mechanics, stats and then pure, the maths involved is much more interesting but harder obviously, regardless best of luck with what you chose (also got a B in maths but then 98% (ums) in C1 this Jan, anything is possible with hard work!
Reply 13
Maths at alevel, is somewhat arguably different to gcse, you get a choice of modules mechanics, stats and then pure, the maths involved is much more interesting but harder obviously, regardless best of luck with what you chose (also got a B in maths but then 98% (ums) in C1 this Jan, anything is possible with hard work!

WOW, well done:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MalteseMalteser
If you're thiinking about economics as a university degree then I would strongly suggest taking Maths to broaden the uni's you can apply to (as most of them require A level maths to do it!). However you can still get offers for Economics without having taken A level maths - I have 4 out of my 5 offers for economics without maths A level.

As stated above, maths would also go really well with chemistry and biology in the science-y department side of your subjects. Politics would only really help with economics, and then again only really in the A2 year (assuming you take both to A2 like I did), but I found politics fun and some of the things you learn in the second year are a bit mindboggling and bamboozling.

On the other hand, just do something that you enjoy or like the sound of! If the worst comes to the worst, you can always change the subject normally after two weeks (I did this with Geography where I was getting E's in homeworks etc., changed it to Chemistry and got an E overall in my AS level) - I must stress though that I was never really motivated to study chemistry, so if you do a subject which you have a real passion for then you will be motivated to study it in your own time and therefore stand a better chance at doing well in it.

Well done with your offers:smile:, what unis did u apply to and what alevel grades did u get.
Well done with your offers:smile:, what unis did u apply to and what alevel grades did u get.

Thanks :smile: I applied to Lancaster, Aston, Kent, Loughborough and York (York rejected me for economics but offered me Accounting, Business Management and Finance instead). I got ABBDE at AS level (now AABDE) and I'm predicted AAA at A level as I haven't actually sat them yet :smile:
Reply 16
Thanks :smile: I applied to Lancaster, Aston, Kent, Loughborough and York (York rejected me for economics but offered me Accounting, Business Management and Finance instead). I got ABBDE at AS level (now AABDE) and I'm predicted AAA at A level as I haven't actually sat them yet :smile:

Nice, all A predictions is always good at alevel, also does gcse grades really matter
Nice, all A predictions is always good at alevel, also does gcse grades really matter

Depends on the uni for GCSE's (general consensus with Oxbridge is that for Oxford they are important whereas for Cambridge they aren't as important). Good GCSE's are great, but if you're looking to study economics without A level maths then they'll probably require you to have GCSE maths at grade A or A*, but GCSE's differ on their importance for each university.
Reply 18
Depends on the uni for GCSE's (general consensus with Oxbridge is that for Oxford they are important whereas for Cambridge they aren't as important). Good GCSE's are great, but if you're looking to study economics without A level maths then they'll probably require you to have GCSE maths at grade A or A*, but GCSE's differ on their importance for each university.

Thanks I was just wondering if my gxses were going to be good enoguh for a top 20 uni, I should get 5A's and 5B's at gcse, but then at a level Its where I am going to really try hard and try to get top grades.
Thanks I was just wondering if my gxses were going to be good enoguh for a top 20 uni, I should get 5A's and 5B's at gcse, but then at a level Its where I am going to really try hard and try to get top grades.

Top 20 unis will generally focus more on AS levels and A level predictions more than GCSE's - with the exception of Oxbridge and LSE. However for a top 20 uni to study economics you will need maths (yes I know Lancaster is roughly 7th in the UK but for economics it is further down the list). If I had A level maths I would have been in with a shout of applying to Oxford or Warwick etc. (with gcse's of 3A*, 3A and 4B) but without A level maths it seriously hindered my application and as a result I had to look further afield from the top 20

Quick Reply

Latest