The Student Room Group

Is it worth me going to an R.E Easter Revision class?

Tomorrow there is a 5 hour (10-3) revision class being run at my school for Religious Education. They have not made it clear whether it is compulsory or optional, but they have sent a letter out to everyone "requesting" us to attend. My R.E short course exam is at the end of May.

Now firstly, I am not a fan of R.E and I don't see the point of it. What's more I got an A in the mock so I don't see the need to go to this rather long revision lesson. As well as this my friends from school who got C's and below in the mock aren't going either, but that is because they can't be bothered rather than because they don't need it.

I am not just saying this because I'm lazy either - I went to the English one today.

Scroll to see replies

Probably not - it's R.E.
Better off spending those hours revising a more important subject. :smile:
When I did GCSE's I did and it was worth it. I got A's without to much effort but doing the extra revision classes meant that I didn't have to do as much revision at home an it was generally much more effective revision. I would say just do it, it would probably help you out in the long run.
I was one mark of an A* for short course RE at GCSE with no revision and no revision days. If you havent finished the sylabus it may be worth going in. If you have then dont bother
Reply 4
Any other opinions? :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only if you think it would help you. If you understand everything you need to and you can revise it on your own then what's the point? I don't go to any of the revision days at my school anymore because I don't learn anything and can spend that time more wisely.
You may as well go, it's free tuition as opposed to revising for yourself at home. So many people say "oh it's ONLY RE" and then get a B, why not just go and do a BIT of revision to get an A grade instead? I got an A* by revising the night before. Just go. Its a few hours in the grand scheme of your life and you get free teaching from a teacher. It'd be silly to waste the chance.

Just noticed you got an A in the mock...would you LIKE an A*? Go. Whether you like the subject or not, it'll always be good to have an extra A* on your CV :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Samuelcd
Tomorrow there is a 5 hour (10-3) revision class being run at my school for Religious Education. They have not made it clear whether it is compulsory or optional, but they have sent a letter out to everyone "requesting" us to attend. My R.E short course exam is at the end of May.

Now firstly, I am not a fan of R.E and I don't see the point of it. What's more I got an A in the mock so I don't see the need to go to this rather long revision lesson. As well as this my friends from school who got C's and below in the mock aren't going either, but that is because they can't be bothered rather than because they don't need it.

I am not just saying this because I'm lazy either - I went to the English one today.

All depends on your IQ dude, if your not completely daft then i'd say don't go :tongue:
Original post by Polish master
I was one mark of an A* for short course RE at GCSE with no revision and no revision days. If you havent finished the sylabus it may be worth going in. If you have then dont bother

I was exactly the same. 1 mark off the A* :angry:

OP:

But like everyone is saying, if you don't feel you need to, don't bother, I never went for mine and I still did good.
Everyone seems to be 1 mark off the A* with no revision or revision days...do you not wish you'd gone to a revision day and maybe got that A*? I know an A is good but if you're so close to the boundary then not going to some free lesson is like cutting off your nose to spite your face really. If that was me I'd always be wishing I'd done a bit of revision or gone. Youngsters these days...
Reply 10
Original post by infairverona

Just noticed you got an A in the mock...would you LIKE an A*? Go. Whether you like the subject or not, it'll always be good to have an extra A* on your CV :smile:

Yeah but I got an A without any revision at all and a very disruptive class. Im pretty sure I can reach A* with a few more lessons and a bit of revision at home and so wont have to sacrifice a day of my holidays.

Im not sure, ill decide in the morning :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Yeah but I got an A without any revision at all and a very disruptive class. Im pretty sure I can reach A* with a few more lessons and a bit of revision at home and so wont have to sacrifice a day of my holidays.

Im not sure ill decide in the morning :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you feel you could get more revision done at home for other more important subjects, then I wouldn't bother going. Otherwise, you might as well go. :smile:

Im not sure, ill decide in the morning :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know what you're saying but it's only a few hours, if you went to that and then did like 2 hours the day before the exam you'd probably get an A*. Teachers can be really useful on things like exam technique and highlighting popular areas of the course which are most likely to come up in the paper, and you can't really get these things at home on your own. How long is the revision thing?
Reply 13
Yeah I know what you're saying but it's only a few hours, if you went to that and then did like 2 hours the day before the exam you'd probably get an A*. Teachers can be really useful on things like exam technique and highlighting popular areas of the course which are most likely to come up in the paper, and you can't really get these things at home on your own. How long is the revision thing?

5 hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. Well if I were you I would go, RS is an easy subject but people who turn their noses up at free help always always always seem to be the people making up those who JUST missed the top grades. If you went and got the A* I bet you'd be so pleased. You don't lose anything by going either. I wish I had taken advantage of all the free revision sessions my school offered when I did my GCSEs and A levels! Good luck anyway :smile:
I think you should go, it's just 5 hours of your life and at least you will know that you have spent your time wisely.
You might think that theres no point focusing too much on R.E because you have been getting A's and theres other subjects to prioritize, but now as i look back on my GCSE results i think that if i had dedicated a little more time to the subjects i thought was easiest, i could have changed my A's into A*'s :redface:
It's really not important. RE is easy if you know your teachings and good at English.
Reply 17
Ive decided ill spend a couple of hours closer to the exam to revise r.e. Plus i didnt find the english one yesterday very useful so it could turn out to be another waste of time. Thanks for the opinions everybody

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone seems to be 1 mark off the A* with no revision or revision days...do you not wish you'd gone to a revision day and maybe got that A*? I know an A is good but if you're so close to the boundary then not going to some free lesson is like cutting off your nose to spite your face really. If that was me I'd always be wishing I'd done a bit of revision or gone. Youngsters these days...

Not Really It's only RE. Not a real subject. and Unless applying to oxbridge GCSE's are irrelevant
Original post by Polish master
Not Really It's only RE. Not a real subject. and Unless applying to oxbridge GCSE's are irrelevant

It is a real subject as you are required to study it. Philosophy A level is also considered a 'proper' A level, my friend studied it and had an Oxford offer for law. I myself had an offer for UCL law. Don't be snobby about it, I'd rather have an A* in RS than a B because I thought "oh well who cares it's RS". At the end of the day another A* on your CV always looks good, you might think it's an easy doss subject but that makes it look even worse if you then miss the A* by a mark or two, doesn't it? It's SO easy and crap..yet you still didn't get the A* in it. Every A* is worth having whether it's maths, science or rs simply because it's an A*. Always better to say you got 5A*s than 4A*s, or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest