The Student Room Group

Is this effective ?

So I started using mind maps but I'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly, can you tell me if this mind map is correct?

The mind map is on Rhythms Photoperiodism ( I know there is not enough pics).
Thanks. Sorry If in wrong section.
3C4515A2-364E-4674-8BB7-97CCC1DA3A9C.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mozamel
So I started using mind maps but I'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly, can you tell me if this mind map is correct?

The mind map is on Rhythms Photoperiodism ( I know there is not enough pics).
Thanks. Sorry If in wrong section.
3C4515A2-364E-4674-8BB7-97CCC1DA3A9C.jpg

One of the key ideas behind the mind map is also to include more visual information, like drawings! It's the process of making the mind map that helps cement the information, and engaging your brain in the creative processing of the information is what makes the memory stronger. Since I'm not very artistic, I never found mind maps particularly helpful, but if you have a bit more skill than me, it can be a great way to learn!

You don't have to follow instructions to the T either. Look at this mind map for example:

I much prefer that kind of layout to the one you're using, but like I said, do whatever works for you. If you're doing this, but not learning anything, then it's not a particularly useful method. If suddenly you can recall with 100% accuracy, then it's brilliant.
Reply 2
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
One of the key ideas behind the mind map is also to include more visual information, like drawings! It's the process of making the mind map that helps cement the information, and engaging your brain in the creative processing of the information is what makes the memory stronger. Since I'm not very artistic, I never found mind maps particularly helpful, but if you have a bit more skill than me, it can be a great way to learn!

You don't have to follow instructions to the T either. Look at this mind map for example:

I much prefer that kind of layout to the one you're using, but like I said, do whatever works for you. If you're doing this, but not learning anything, then it's not a particularly useful method. If suddenly you can recall with 100% accuracy, then it's brilliant.

Thanks for your advice , and have you considered using a mind mapping software if your not good at drawing?
Original post by Mozamel
Thanks for your advice , and have you considered using a mind mapping software if your not good at drawing?

Yeah, there's a pretty cool one called ThinkBuzan, but I think that the time I have to put into making a mind map isn't worth the results I get out. I do quite like flow-charts and diagrams, though, so that covers all my visual needs. :tongue:
I think that maybe the problem with yours is that you're trying to write sentences.

Each branch should be a separate idea, not related to the branches next to it but only related to the branch it came from. Do you get what I mean?
Reply 5
Original post by therisenmitten
I think that maybe the problem with yours is that you're trying to write sentences.

Each branch should be a separate idea, not related to the branches next to it but only related to the branch it came from. Do you get what I mean?

I have not quite good the idea of a good mind map, I need to learn more about mind mapping.
maybe have a look on youtube or google for examples

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending