The Student Room Group

AS English Lit Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I like school
It's a nightmare, like I actually feel sick going to his lessons because I am so nervous of being shouted at for nothing and it means my week starts bad because up we have him first two periods Monday morning.
I don't think I will do well though, that's my issue!
Yes basically it will, though I need to have a long hard think over the summer if I wanna put myself through another year of misery generally even if I do get the grade.
I love Gatsby, it's versatile and it's a great book! This is my mug I am so keen for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I LOVE your mug!
It's such a hard exam and feels more of a hit or miss situation than a 'you work hard you get the grades'.
Hopefully, for your sake, they change the teachers. I'd hate to have someone like that teach me. I am very lucky to have my teachers from what most people have put, they are on here because their teachers are rubbish.
If there's anything you need in particular you need help with I am studying:

The Great Gatsby

Enduring Love

Auden poetry

Browning poetry

Rossetti (self taught for better chances in exam, not required but it may be something you may want to consider. if you do and want a suggestion, if you don't already do him, Auden is brilliant and there are loads of annotations of his poetry all online)

if there is anything you need in particular, I am happy to help in anyway I can.
Original post by KirstBarlow
I LOVE your mug!
It's such a hard exam and feels more of a hit or miss situation than a 'you work hard you get the grades'.
Hopefully, for your sake, they change the teachers. I'd hate to have someone like that teach me. I am very lucky to have my teachers from what most people have put, they are on here because their teachers are rubbish.
If there's anything you need in particular you need help with I am studying:

The Great Gatsby

Enduring Love

Auden poetry

Browning poetry

Rossetti (self taught for better chances in exam, not required but it may be something you may want to consider. if you do and want a suggestion, if you don't already do him, Auden is brilliant and there are loads of annotations of his poetry all online)

if there is anything you need in particular, I am happy to help in anyway I can.

Haha best mug ever! Got it from a friend because Gatsby was a joke at GCSE for us but now I love it!
I won't get new teachers but if I decide to keep it next year I am genuinely considering seeing if there's a direction class swap I could do because I hate one of my teachers that much.
Do you have anything you could send me on enduring love as we have spent so long doing Browning poetry and coursework I don't have much on it. No problem if you don't but if you think you have anything useful that wouldn't be too inconvenient to send me that would be awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha best mug ever! Got it from a friend because Gatsby was a joke at GCSE for us but now I love it!
I won't get new teachers but if I decide to keep it next year I am genuinely considering seeing if there's a direction class swap I could do because I hate one of my teachers that much.
Do you have anything you could send me on enduring love as we have spent so long doing Browning poetry and coursework I don't have much on it. No problem if you don't but if you think you have anything useful that wouldn't be too inconvenient to send me that would be awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1647184

And then there is (hopefully first time attaching a file) a file containing some really great Enduring Love stuff I found online. (No idea who to give credit to)
Original post by Polkadot2
For section B we were told to write 3 mini essays on each of the texts . I am doing Small Island (a) Gatsby,Browning and Colridge - The Rime of The Ancient Mariner (b) If anyone else is doing my texts LET ME KNOW PLEASE XX

I've been told to do three mini essays for section b as well, no comparing is necessary but will not lose you marks. I'm doing Coleridge, Rossetti and Kite Runner for section b and Gatsby for a as there is just so much more context to talk about.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by luke2511
Hey guys! Which paper are you doing? I did LITB1 with Gatsby, Kite Runner, Browning & Rossetti and can help anyone that needs it? This year I'm doing LITB3 with Wuthering Heights, The Bloody Chamber & Dr Faustus.

Good luck all.

I'm doing all of those this year for LITB3 as well - they're fantastic aren't they?
I've got to say to all you LITB1-ers, gothic in A2 makes this year all worth it, trust me. My teachers have said that LITB3 is easier and more like GCSE than LITB1 is.

Reply 45
Original post by PapercutMagnet
I'm doing all of those this year for LITB3 as well - they're fantastic aren't they?
I've got to say to all you LITB1-ers, gothic in A2 makes this year all worth it, trust me. My teachers have said that LITB3 is easier and more like GCSE than LITB1 is.

Yes, I definitely prefer the texts - probably because I love gothic literature anyway!
Yes, I definitely prefer the texts - probably because I love gothic literature anyway!

Mmmm gothic literature is fantastic. The Yellow Wallpaper is one of my favourites.

Reply 47
Mmmm gothic literature is fantastic. The Yellow Wallpaper is one of my favourites.

It's funny that you should say that really because I read The Yellow Wallpaper when preparing for my LITB4 essay and didn't consider it to be gothic - but now you've mentioned it I can't believe I missed it haha!!
It's funny that you should say that really because I read The Yellow Wallpaper when preparing for my LITB4 essay and didn't consider it to be gothic - but now you've mentioned it I can't believe I missed it haha!!

That's the thing about gothic though isn't it? Asides from the ones that seem obviously gothic like Dracula, you wouldn't know. I would have never thought Wuthering Heights to be gothic.
What did you write about for LITB4 in the end?

Reply 49
That's the thing about gothic though isn't it? Asides from the ones that seem obviously gothic like Dracula, you wouldn't know. I would have never thought Wuthering Heights to be gothic.
What did you write about for LITB4 in the end?

For the comparative I did Margareat Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale and Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns, talking about how their mother's identity is dominated by motherhood.

For the anthology essay, I chose feminism and looked at Kate Chopin's The Story of an Hour.

What did you do?
Original post by KirstBarlow
I found this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1647184

And then there is (hopefully first time attaching a file) a file containing some really great Enduring Love stuff I found online. (No idea who to give credit to)

Thank you so much for your help! I actually feel a little motivated to work hard on this paper now and try and get a good grade though if I don't I will put it down to experience and move on quite happily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for your help! I actually feel a little motivated to work hard on this paper now and try and get a good grade though if I don't I will put it down to experience and move on quite happily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am really happy I can help. If there's anything more than I'll be happy to pass on anything I have

Posted from TSR Mobile
Um well I personally find markedbyteachers.com very useful though you do have to pay to use it so you may not want that... If I find any then I will let you know though I do have some chapter summaries with notes on that sort of thing somewhere... Might try and find them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll give it a go, thanks anyways:smile:
Reply 53
Hey guys! Which paper are you doing? I did LITB1 with Gatsby, Kite Runner, Browning & Rossetti and can help anyone that needs it? This year I'm doing LITB3 with Wuthering Heights, The Bloody Chamber & Dr Faustus.

Good luck all.

I'm doing LITB2!
Reply 54
Original post by ehhok
I'm doing LITB2!

The coursework?
Reply 55
The coursework?

No that's for the exam. The coursework is on the play One Man Two Guvnors by Richard Bean and Much Ado by Shakespeare
Reply 56
Original post by ehhok
No that's for the exam. The coursework is on the play One Man Two Guvnors by Richard Bean and Much Ado by Shakespeare

LITB2 is a coursework unit, as is LITB4.

LITB1 & LITB3 are the exams - are you sure we're doing the same board?
Reply 57
LITB2 is a coursework unit, as is LITB4.

LITB1 & LITB3 are the exams - are you sure we're doing the same board?

I have no idea, but that does sound right
Reply 58
Original post by lisa96
I'm doing Small Island, Gatsby and Browning as well. But i'm doing Gatsby for Section A and Small Island and Browning for Section B :smile:

Well you don't have to decide that now , which exam board are you?
Reply 59
Original post by lisa96
Do you know what the January Gatsby Ab question was? :smile:

I don't know I'm afraid.. I'm sure there will be someone on this forum that does, maybe try posting in the thread that was for the January retake :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending