The Student Room Group

Hopefully Simple Modular Arithmetic

Hey,

I do apologise if this turns out to be ridiculously easy, but I do not understand the logic behind a step in a proof I am reading and I cannot work it out myself.

The scene:

p is a prime such that p is congruent to 3 modulo 4.
x and y are integers such that (x^2)+(y^2) is congruent to 0 modulo p.

The conclusion:

x and y are both congruent to 0 modulo p.

The question:

Why?

I attempted a case-by-case analysis and quickly discovered that either gcd(x,p)=gcd(y,p)=1 or gcd(x,p)=gcd(y,p)=p. However, I could not discount the 1st case.

Please help me!

:smile:
Reply 1
Some hints that might help: first observe that if both x and y are coprime to p then x2=(p1)y2modp x^2 = (p-1)y^2 \mod p (also true when x,y are divisible by p, but in this case a correct argument won't work).

Conclude that if such a solution exists, then there must be a number mod p that squares to give p1 p-1 mod p p .

Finally, using the fact that p=3mod4 p = 3 \mod 4 , show that no such number exists.

Therefore you are left with the second case you obtained.

Edit: argh, there've been various edits that should be noted, it's late...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jb444
Some hints that might help: first observe that if both x and y are coprime to p then x2=(p1)y2modp x^2 = (p-1)y^2 \mod p (also true when x,y are divisible by p, but in this case a correct argument won't work).

Conclude that if such a solution exists, then there must be a number mod p that squares to give p1 p-1 mod p p .

Finally, using the fact that p=3mod4 p = 3 \mod 4 , show that no such number exists.

Therefore you are left with the second case you obtained.

Edit: argh, there've been various edits that should be noted, it's late...

Thanks for the response.

I tried your method but could not make much progress. Instead I found a very easy method which involves the use of Legendre symbols and requires knowledge of quadratic residues.

x^2 + y^2 congruent to 0 modulo p -> x^2 congruent to -(y ^ 2) modulo p
-> -(y^2) is a quadratic residue modulo p (if y is coprime to p)
-> ( -(y^2) / p ) = 1

But ( -(y^2) / p ) = (-1/p) (y^2 / p ) = (using Euler's criterion) -1 x 1 (if y is coprime to p) = -1

So we have our contradiction and conclude x and y are both congruent to 0 modulo p.
Reply 3
In fact this is the same proof: using Euler's criterion to show that

(1p)=(p1p)=1 \left(\frac{-1}p\right) = \left(\frac{p-1}p\right) = -1

when p = 3 mod 4 is one way of showing that p1 p-1 is not a square mod p p .
Reply 4
Original post by jb444
In fact this is the same proof: using Euler's criterion to show that

(1p)=(p1p)=1 \left(\frac{-1}p\right) = \left(\frac{p-1}p\right) = -1

when p = 3 mod 4 is one way of showing that p1 p-1 is not a square mod p p .

Nice. You previously wrote that we could conclude p-1 is a quadratic residue mod p, or at least you wrote it was congruent to a square as a result of the equation written above it. What was your line of reasoning for this? :smile:
Reply 5
Supposing that x,y x,y are coprime to p p , they have inverses modulo p p , and therefore:

x2=(p1)y2modp x^2 = (p-1)y^2 \mod p

can be written

(xy1)2=(p1)modp (xy^{-1})^2 = (p-1) \mod p

a contradiction, since this shows that

(p1p)=1 \left(\frac{p-1}{p}\right) = 1
Reply 6
Original post by jb444
Supposing that x,y x,y are coprime to p p , they have inverses modulo p p , and therefore:

x2=(p1)y2modp x^2 = (p-1)y^2 \mod p

can be written

(xy1)2=(p1)modp (xy^{-1})^2 = (p-1) \mod p

a contradiction, since this shows that

(p1p)=1 \left(\frac{p-1}{p}\right) = 1

What is it that makes x/y an integer?
Reply 7
Here y1 y^{-1} is an inverse modulo p, i.e. an integer modulo p such that yy1=1modp y \cdot y^{-1} = 1 \mod p . So e.g. 31=2mod5 3^{-1} = 2 \mod 5 since

32=1mod5 3\cdot 2 = 1 \mod 5

Such a number exists only when y and p are coprime.
Reply 8
ok...some proper details.

Suppose x,y are coprime to p p .

By Bezout's identity, there exist a,bZ a,b \in \mathbb Z such that ay+bp=1 ay + bp = 1 .

That is, ay=1modp ay = 1 \mod p .

We have x2=y2modp x^2 = -y^2 \mod p .

Therefore (ax)2=a2x2=(ay)2=1modp (ax)^2 = a^2x^2 = - (ay)^2 = -1 \mod p .

Thus -1 is a square mod p.

Write z=ax z = ax . If gcd(z,p)>1 \gcd(z,p) > 1 , then gcd(1,p)=gcd(z2,p)>1\gcd(-1,p) = \gcd(z^2,p) > 1 , which is impossible.

Thus by fermat's little theorem zp1=1modp z^{p-1} = 1 \mod p .

Since p=3mod4 p = 3 \mod 4 , p=3+4k p = 3 + 4k , so (p1)/2 (p-1)/2 is odd.

Finally,

z(p1)=(z2)(p1)/2=(1)(p1)/2=1 z^{(p-1)} = (z^2)^{(p-1)/2} = (-1)^{(p-1)/2} = -1

This is a contradiction of the above, since it shows that z z (as well as any other number) does not square to give -1 mod p.

An elementary proof of something like this is a little nicer, since the idea remains hidden inside Euler's identity for the legendre symbol; the ideas are the same.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest