The Student Room Group

What's the deal with this guy? Online

I met this guy through twitter. I thought his tweets were funny. Right off the bat he started talking to me, we exchanged numbers etc

We've been speaking for nearly a month and he seems pretty nice. He asked me if I speak to any other guys and stuff and started asking about my personal life

He lives about 45 mins away on the tube which isn't that far at all. But he said he is never coming here to visit me which upset me.

He asks me if I have time for him and that he wants to see me but whenever it gets down to making it an official plan he goes around in circles about it and he says things like 'hopefully' and 'if god wills' to avoid yes/no answers

It's just pretty irritating. I've decided there is no point speaking to him if he doesn't wanna meet up but I don't want to let go of this that fast. He seems like a cool guy.

We're both the same age. We've both seen pictures and videos of each other. He tells me I'm pretty and stuff.

What should I do?
Let go of it? Act cool? Wait a bit longer?

He told me he doesn't meet up with anyone in real life. Suggesting he probably sweet talks every other girl he meets online?

I don't really know to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
If he's not willing to meet up then I'd not bother..... He seems to be running you around in circles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you ever seen the movie or TV programme "Catfish"?
Reply 4
I'd say don't waste your time. A lot of people enjoy chatting online but don't want to take it beyond that for a variety of reasons. Keep it to the odd tweet and find your men offline would be my advice!
Reply 5
Leave it. He can't be bothered to meet you but if one day he decides to, it will be you running round making all the effort not him. Waste of time
Reply 6
If he won't meet up with you then maybe he isn't who he claims to be. Beware of the catfish !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
One other possibility could be that he is too shy or not confident enough to meet you. As in behind the texting he's confident, but potentially in real life he is far from that. Just my $0.02
When I saw this I instantly thought of Catfish the TV show. Personally, I wouldn't bother and also, they could definitely be claiming to be someone they're not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It could mean he's showing you pictures and videos of someone else, and he isn't the person, age, or even gender he claims to be. I know that's probably a crushing thought, but be smart!

If he is the person, then he obviously has developed a major online self-esteem/ego/confidence that is just non-existent in real life. Maybe he's just really shy and enjoys his online life, but has clearly never moved it into real life and is scared of doing so. He could need a bit more of a prompt? You could try telling him you've noticed he dodges the making-of-plans a bit but you really want to meet him and don't understand.

Something I've also never thought about - maybe he's a bit wary that you aren't who you say you are? If it carries on, anyhow, I'd just let it and him go before it becomes a massive waste of time.
This guy sounds like a fake, seems to be giving you the run around :s-smilie:
For all sorts of reasons I'd rarely advise that getting involved with someone from the internet is a great idea. Sorry, I grew up before things like Twitter were basically everywhere so maybe at the ripe old age of my mid 20's I just 'don't get the kids these days, but humans evolved to interact, especially romantically in person face to face.

It's also a useful filtering mechanism. It isn't perfect but you're much more capable of judging someone's character and avoiding the nut-jobs and wierdos and undesirables in person.

Another of those reasons has been mention in the thread. Maybe the guy has something to hide or he just isn't that into you?

As an above poster said, some people just don't put much stock and priority in meeting internet buddies.

Shrug it off OP and go find a man the good ol' fashioned way. Old way is best way. Plus the constant hipster/retro/'vintage' trends prove that the old ways are fashionable.
So update, he really is who he claims to be.

I found out he speaks to a few girls online.

He said he doesn't meet any of them in real because he's not very sociable. But he clearly is when he goes out to play football everyday.

I don't know what to think

I'm just annoyed and I need to get rid of him but I don't want to let go this easily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless the guy suffers from street anxiety, there is no other plausible explenation why he should not visit u !!
Original post by beccagood95
Have you ever seen the movie or TV programme "Catfish"?

This, haha. I suggest you just leave it and never speak to him again unless he agrees to meet you or there's a large chance he isn't who he says he is.

You could visit him by surprise and make your own Catfish film, just saying...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

Original post by letsbehonest
So update, he really is who he claims to be.

I found out he speaks to a few girls online.

He said he doesn't meet any of them in real because he's not very sociable. But he clearly is when he goes out to play football everyday.

I don't know what to think

I'm just annoyed and I need to get rid of him but I don't want to let go this easily

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have your answer right there. He's making it clear that he doesn't combine his online and his offline friends. Lots of people are like this and if that's how he is then you can't do much about it really. Cut your losses and move on.
I've cut him out, I'll be revising for my A level exams instead of worrying about this haha!
Fake pics and he's just waiting until you upload a pic of your gash onto whatsapp?

Just saying.
Reply 18
Original post by letsbehonest
I met this guy through twitter. I thought his tweets were funny. Right off the bat he started talking to me, we exchanged numbers etc

We've been speaking for nearly a month and he seems pretty nice. He asked me if I speak to any other guys and stuff and started asking about my personal life

He lives about 45 mins away on the tube which isn't that far at all. But he said he is never coming here to visit me which upset me.

He asks me if I have time for him and that he wants to see me but whenever it gets down to making it an official plan he goes around in circles about it and he says things like 'hopefully' and 'if god wills' to avoid yes/no answers

It's just pretty irritating. I've decided there is no point speaking to him if he doesn't wanna meet up but I don't want to let go of this that fast. He seems like a cool guy.

We're both the same age. We've both seen pictures and videos of each other. He tells me I'm pretty and stuff.

What should I do?
Let go of it? Act cool? Wait a bit longer?

He told me he doesn't meet up with anyone in real life. Suggesting he probably sweet talks every other girl he meets online?

I don't really know to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

He already has a GF. No other reason.
Reply 19
leaveeee it yeeeeh leave itttt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending