The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA3/PSYA4 Psychology Revision Thread 10th/17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Has anyone got all the possible questions for sleep?!
Reply 41
Original post by DJBM
Has anyone got all the possible questions for sleep?!

Hey I can give you some that I have from my textbook:

1) Discuss the nature of sleep (8+16)

2) Discuss lifespan changes in sleep (8+16)

3) Outline and evaluate stages of sleep (8+16)

4) Describe and evaluate the restoration explanation of the function of sleep (8+16)

5) Describe the stages of sleep (4 marks)

6) Evaluate one or more explanations of the function of sleep (16 marks)

Hope these help.
Reply 42
Can someone help me with perception essays? I'm really struggling!!
Reply 43
Original post by Nabzyawan

Hey what do you need help with?
Reply 44

Reply 45
Original post by mezzy07
Hey I can give you some that I have from my textbook:

1) Discuss the nature of sleep (8+16)

2) Discuss lifespan changes in sleep (8+16)

3) Outline and evaluate stages of sleep (8+16)

4) Describe and evaluate the restoration explanation of the function of sleep (8+16)

5) Describe the stages of sleep (4 marks)

6) Evaluate one or more explanations of the function of sleep (16 marks)

Hope these help.

Yes, thank you!! :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by mezzy07

I need help with structuring the 24 marks essays. I'm studying aggression, perception and gender.
Reply 47
I need help with structuring the 24 marks essays. I'm studying aggression, perception and gender.

Ok the essays need to have 8 AO1 points and 16 AO2 marks, and if you can get in 4 IDA's then you're at top marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Thank you so much, that really helps:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by PerkyB
I took a massive gamble in january in order to get my AS grades up for biology and psychology and now i have to resit the PSYA3 - aggression, eating behaviour and relationships. And i will be doing schizophrenia, media and research methods also in june. I also have to resit my AS Unit 2 on social influence, stress and psychopatholgy.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my grades, because no matter how hard or much i revise, i seem to be coming out with shoddy grades when i get C's and B's in class! I have to get 320 points to get into my course at uni and my AS grades are not that great even though i have resat, and i am resitting again - so i need all the help i can get as i am soooo passionate about studying my course and at a particular university.

SOMEONE HELP! :smile:

Did you get a photocopy of your paper? By doing this you can go through the paper with your teacher and see where you are going wrong. I understand how you feel I'm in a similar situation I resat my Religious Studies paper and came out with the same grade as I did last time so I'm getting my paper remarked. But it's a bit late to get a photocopy of your paper back as the deadline date was before the Easter holidays.
I got some exam tips for you I got a grade B in Psychology unit 3. Basically I typed up all my notes, learnt them and then practiced essay questions by timing myself 30 mins for 24 mark essays. Then I marked my work and see what I've missed out. All you need to do is practice. My overall grade for psychology is D so far how about yourself?
Unit 1= c
Unit 2= c
Unit 3= B
Unit 4=screwed it up cos I didn't revise so I'm retaking it and making my notes again from scratch :smile:
Original post by missemma1
Did you get a photocopy of your paper? By doing this you can go through the paper with your teacher and see where you are going wrong. I understand how you feel I'm in a similar situation I resat my Religious Studies paper and came out with the same grade as I did last time so I'm getting my paper remarked. But it's a bit late to get a photocopy of your paper back as the deadline date was before the Easter holidays.
I got some exam tips for you I got a grade B in Psychology unit 3. Basically I typed up all my notes, learnt them and then practiced essay questions by timing myself 30 mins for 24 mark essays. Then I marked my work and see what I've missed out. All you need to do is practice. My overall grade for psychology is D so far how about yourself?
Unit 1= c
Unit 2= c
Unit 3= B
Unit 4=screwed it up cos I didn't revise so I'm retaking it and making my notes again from scratch :smile:

I haven't applied to get my paper back, just put myself in for the resit. But i got papers back for my biology - which im waiting on. Yeah i have started doing exactly that, and i am finding im actually remembering the content now, so hopefully i can get a fairly high grade in the Unit 3 exam as i didnt even revise for it. I got a high D in unit 1, in the unit 2 i went from a U to a D in my resit in january (which ill be resitting again) and unit 3 i got an E. I think my overall grade is an E close to a D. But i'm so unsure if i will be able to get a B overall.

I understand the schizophrenia topics really well, and im getting almost A's in my mock essays in class assessment, so im thinking if i get say an A or a B in my A2's and a C/D in my unit 2 along with my unit 1 D i could potentially get a B, but im not sure. What do you reckon? Thing is its not the fact i dont know the stuff, its just i flop in an exam lol. Give me coursework and ill get distinction stars...sit me in an exam and ill get a U! its absolutely ridiculous lol!

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 51
Hey everyone doing Media for Unit 4, can I confirm something with you guys? :smile: Have cognitive dissonance and self-perception theory been taken out of the specification and so no longer need to be learned?
Reply 52
Original post by eelnais
Hey everyone doing Media for Unit 4, can I confirm something with you guys? :smile: Have cognitive dissonance and self-perception theory been taken out of the specification and so no longer need to be learned?

Yes they have been taken out. They were apart of the Media & Persuasion sub-section, along with The Hovland-Yale/Elaboration Likelihood models, which you still need to know. Also another change is the Explanations for the persuasiveness of television advertising. It used to be effectiveness but is now persuasiveness. You most likely already knew that but in case you didnt I thought I would mention that too.
Reply 53

Hey well I would suggest that for AO1, you have 4 paragraphs worth of AO1, roughly around 50-60 words if you can sum it up. Then I would say 8 paragraphs worth of A02, again 50-60 words.
So for example, in Perception, 'Outline & evaluate Gibson's bottom-up/direct theory of perception' you could do:

Outline the description, A01
1) First paragraph on optic flow
2) Second on Ecological, e.g. depth/distance and texture gradient
3) Invariants e.g. horizon-ratio etc
4) Resonance & affordance

Then evaluate using supporting research and about 2-3 IDA's. Apparently, according to my textbook and teacher, a good essay will have a maximum of 2 IDAs. So in this essay you could use One real-world application paragraph, and one nature vs nurtue paragraph.

Remember also that your A02 should flow so that it is easier for you and the examiner to read and understand what you have written. You don't have to follow this way of doing essays. Im using this and it has really worked for me thus far. If you need anymore help just let me know. Happy to help where I can. :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by mezzy07
Yes they have been taken out. They were apart of the Media & Persuasion sub-section, along with The Hovland-Yale/Elaboration Likelihood models, which you still need to know. Also another change is the Explanations for the persuasiveness of television advertising. It used to be effectiveness but is now persuasiveness. You most likely already knew that but in case you didnt I thought I would mention that too.

Thanks very much, I actually didn't know about the wording change. :smile: Appreciated!
Reply 55
Original post by PerkyB
I haven't applied to get my paper back, just put myself in for the resit. But i got papers back for my biology - which im waiting on. Yeah i have started doing exactly that, and i am finding im actually remembering the content now, so hopefully i can get a fairly high grade in the Unit 3 exam as i didnt even revise for it. I got a high D in unit 1, in the unit 2 i went from a U to a D in my resit in january (which ill be resitting again) and unit 3 i got an E. I think my overall grade is an E close to a D. But i'm so unsure if i will be able to get a B overall.

I understand the schizophrenia topics really well, and im getting almost A's in my mock essays in class assessment, so im thinking if i get say an A or a B in my A2's and a C/D in my unit 2 along with my unit 1 D i could potentially get a B, but im not sure. What do you reckon? Thing is its not the fact i dont know the stuff, its just i flop in an exam lol. Give me coursework and ill get distinction stars...sit me in an exam and ill get a U! its absolutely ridiculous lol!

Thanks for your help :smile:

Its okay don't worry about it. You have to get C's in your AS levels and B's in A2 to get a B overall
Here are the grade boundaries overall for psychology:-
320-400 A
280-319 B
240-279 C
200-239 D
160-199 E
0-159 U
Reply 56
Original post by missemma1
Its okay don't worry about it. You have to get C's in your AS levels and B's in A2 to get a B overall
Here are the grade boundaries overall for psychology:-
320-400 A
280-319 B
240-279 C
200-239 D
160-199 E
0-159 U

Hey, to get an A* would one have to achieve an A overall and 90+ ums in Units 3 & 4?
Reply 57
Original post by Ifa_94
Hi I'm re sitting psych 4...doing depression, addiction and obv research methods.
Does anybody have any predictions for questions on depression??
Also I'm finding research methods really hard my average mark is 19/35. Can anyone suggest any tips or useful websites where I can get help with research methods??

I'm resitting too and doing the exact same topics as you ;o
I think there might be a question on outlining the characteristics or it may be on one of the therapies? How are you revising? I don't know where to begin :c
Reply 58
Original post by superstahh
I'm doing Eating Behaviour, Aggression and Cognitive Development for PSYA3 and Schizophrenia, Media (and obviously Research Methods) if anyone needs notes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would love notes on aggression and research methods ;D
Reply 59
Original post by PerkyB
I took a massive gamble in january in order to get my AS grades up for biology and psychology and now i have to resit the PSYA3 - aggression, eating behaviour and relationships. And i will be doing schizophrenia, media and research methods also in june. I also have to resit my AS Unit 2 on social influence, stress and psychopatholgy.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my grades, because no matter how hard or much i revise, i seem to be coming out with shoddy grades when i get C's and B's in class! I have to get 320 points to get into my course at uni and my AS grades are not that great even though i have resat, and i am resitting again - so i need all the help i can get as i am soooo passionate about studying my course and at a particular university.

SOMEONE HELP! :smile:

I'm resitting unit 2 + 4 whilst doing 3 xD I'm having a similar problem :/ I would say relax, understand each topic, make notes and memorise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending