The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Alpharius
No, I think you're referring to Carragher (I probably spelled that wrong, you know who I mean).

"archhhh-eurghhhh-muarchhhh..."

Sorry to all scousers. I realize I might be pissing some of you off.

It wouldn't surprise me :smile:

Incidentally, both are cases in point when I referred to subtle differences in the accent in my original post.

For what it's worth, Gerrard speaks with a strong Huyton with Roby accent, and Carragher with a broad Marsh Lane, Bootle accent. Hard to distinguish, I know, but it's there.

Another e.g. with whom you're probably familiar, is Paul O'Grady, whose Birkenhead origins grace him with the broadest Wirral accent, a diluted version of Liverpudlian, and distinct from that spoken by their immediate neighbours neighbours 'over the water' in Liverpool. Contrast that with fellow Wirralolian, Paul Hollywood (?), whose accent is milder than O'Grady's and is probably one of the mildest forms of the accent I've heard.

I think the biggest difference between the accents of Liverpool and Wirral, involves the pronunciation of the 'O', which is difficult to describe, however, I stand to be corrected.

Tarbuck and Ricky Tomlinson speak with a more traditional Liverpool accent, while the title for the strangest Liverpool accents IMHO, has to go to the great John Lennon and that half Mancunian bloke, John Bishop. I think the term aptly used is 'Plastic Scousers' :wink:

Jonty
Reply 22
Original post by jonty

Incidentally, both are cases in point when I referred to subtle differences in the accent in my original post.

For what it's worth, Gerrard speaks with a strong Huyton with Roby accent, and Carragher with a broad Marsh Lane, Bootle accent. Hard to distinguish, I know, but it's there.

Another e.g. with whom you're probably familiar, is Paul O'Grady, whose Birkenhead origins grace him with the broadest Wirral accent, a diluted version of Liverpudlian, and distinct from that spoken by their immediate neighbours neighbours 'over the water' in Liverpool. Contrast that with fellow Wirralolian, Paul Hollywood (?), whose accent is milder than O'Grady's and is probably one of the mildest forms of the accent I've heard.

I think the biggest difference between the accents of Liverpool and Wirral, involves the pronunciation of the 'O', which is difficult to describe, however, I stand to be corrected.

Tarbuck and Ricky Tomlinson speak with a more traditional Liverpool accent, while the title for the strangest Liverpool accents IMHO, has to go to the great John Lennon and that half Mancunian bloke, John Bishop. I think the term aptly used is 'Plastic Scousers' :wink:

Jonty

Huh? Why's Lennon a Plastic Scouser? Liverpool born and bred. Bishop was born in Liverpool, grew up in Runcorn or something, but then moved Huyton I think. When I think Plastic Scouser I think Skelmersdale.
Reply 23
Original post by jonty

Jonty

Im from Birkenhead so my accent isnt that strong but I used to get skitted at for speaking "posh" when I was younger (a lot of Wirral teenagers go through a stage were they put on a very strong scouse accent because they think it makes them look cool and/or hard. I didnt take part in this). Odd thing is now when I ring call centres I get told to repeat myself a lot as they cant understand me. I also notice that when I speak to someone with a very strong scouse accent that I sound more neutural to myself in my head and when I speak to someone without a scouse accent I sound like I have a strong accent :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by specter.harvey
I actually love the scouse. Kind of slutty/chavvy (no disrespect scousers!)

Im neither a slut nor a chav :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm Scouse and I probably would be put off by someone with a 'Scally' accent not a proper Scouse accent. Most people get the two confused.
Reply 26
Alright alright.... Calm down, calm down...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Accent wouldn't matter when I've got my schlong in her mouth.
I actually love Scouse accents, probably because I love Blood Brothers so yeah :love: My accent's boring though
Reply 29
Yeah, I would date them. If I can understand them, then there's no problem.
Reply 30
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
I'm Scouse and I probably would be put off by someone with a 'Scally' accent not a proper Scouse accent. Most people get the two confused.

Yeah the "scally" accent is the kind that some Wirral teenagers put on like I said in an earlier post or on TV (Harry Enfield's scousers, when theres a criminal from Liverpool on a crime show etc). People from Liverpool do normally have stronger accents than those from Wirral sure, but Ive yet to meet anyone who actually speaks like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
:hahaha:

At all you shallow bellends.

Don't be hating because your bitches love us.
Reply 32
Original post by lascelles
I'm a sucker for a guy with a Scouse accent :smile:

Me too! Or a northern accent of any kind!!
Reply 33
Original post by gemmam
Im from Birkenhead so my accent isnt that strong but I used to get skitted at for speaking "posh" when I was younger (a lot of Wirral teenagers go through a stage were they put on a very strong scouse accent because they think it makes them look cool and/or hard. I didnt take part in this). Odd thing is now when I ring call centres I get told to repeat myself a lot as they cant understand me. I also notice that when I speak to someone with a very strong scouse accent that I sound more neutural to myself in my head and when I speak to someone without a scouse accent I sound like I have a strong accent :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Gemmam,

and thanks for your post.

I agree, it can be somewhat of a quandary to be a Merseysider, especially if you're "not from Scotty" :smile: (A cheap reference to the considered home of scouserdom and birthplace of one Cilla Black), or considered 'posh'.

I suppose the same is true of any social group where an individual wants to 'fit in' but finds it difficult if they're different to the 'gang'. For instance: they speak differently. Ironically, it was only when I went away to college and let it out of the bag that I'd been to 'prep school' that I was slaughtered, and speaking rather nicely didn't help I suppose (I regularly endured the antics of the bullies and their rather pathetic mimicking). Ironically, at home, it had never been an issue, not that I recall, although growing up in the suburbs wasn't exactly Kirkby Town Centre - caveat here if I may: I am not being direspectful to the good folk of Kirkby, just using them to make a comparison in order to contrast the deep rooted Liverpool culture enjoyed there with the mundanity of the suburbs where I hail from - oh how I wish I was a proper Scouser!!!!!

Who'd have believed that?

Going back to what I was saying, Gemmam, it's only human nature to want to be included, so the temptation to 'be the same' can be overwhelming for the feeble minded - I'm in that category I'm afraid, Gemmam, as I succumbed: please like me!!! :frown:
With age, I eventually got over it and was able to be myself, so 'Respect' to you for having the strength of character not to indulge yourself!

Interesting about the call centre experience, Gemmam. When scrutinising the accent - that really is insulting in my book but nevertheless it's up for discussion so I'll continue - it's easy to overlook the speed at which we Merseysiders speak, say in contrast to some of the more rural idylls (better stop using others as examples lest I'm held in contempt by the reader). That alone can be perplexing for the uninitiated - I suspect our Geordie friends are subject to the same treatment.

One thing I will say, before I finish, in defence of the Liverpool accent (and something of which Liverpudlian speakers can feel proud, I'm sure) is that they haven't felt the need to estuarise their proud accent with the twang of other cultures, as is the habit with London accents/estuary English speakers - okay, since you little lot have been busy plagiarising the material of alleged comics Jimmy Carr and Harry Enfield (still love you Whitehouse!) to take cheap shots at Liverpudlians, I'm about to do the same by using, yes you've guessed it: Ali G as a prime example. Sorry.

In fact, quite the opposite is the case here in the City, where members of ethnic minority groups are more scouse than Esther McVey!! Think Denzil from 'Fools....' and Craig Charles.

By the way, did anybody else watch that episode of Keith Lemon last week with guests made up in the main from the nineties reunion bands? Although poor old Abs was the butt of Lemon's jibes about his 'Street', what about Duncan from Blue? I thought he was miming to Simon Webb. Since when did anyone from deepest Sidmouth sound like a rapper?

Funnily enough, I bumped into him in beach side bar one evening in Barbados a couple of years back, and although we only said, Hello, he was sitting at the table next to me and didn't sound anything like he did on the show. Pull yourself together, Duncan. Before we know it, he'll be sounding like the Redknapp and Lampard sisters and their pronunciation of the word 'footballer' or 'fwoot - bull - ah'. Really, ladies.

Jonty
Reply 34
Original post by L18
:hahaha:

At all you shallow bellends.

Don't be hating because your bitches love us.

L18 ?

Isn't that the posh end :wink:

Jonty
Reply 35
Original post by jonnykino
Huh? Why's Lennon a Plastic Scouser? Liverpool born and bred. Bishop was born in Liverpool, grew up in Runcorn or something, but then moved Huyton I think. When I think Plastic Scouser I think Skelmersdale.

I'm afraid Sir John was a suburbs boy like me. In fact I recall an article in one of the tabloids a couple of years ago entitled: "The Posh Beatle." Perhaps you could Google it.

As for Bishop........................let me put it this way: his accent gets stonger with each TV appearance.

Jonty
Reply 36
Original post by jonty
L18 ?

Isn't that the posh end :wink:

Jonty

The bit with ATMs that don't charge :wink:
Reply 37
While I agree that the scouse accent isn't exactly the nicest thing to hear coming out of a girl's mouth, I wouldn't reject a girl who otherwise met my standards because of it. I would enjoy taking the piss out of her for it though.

Original post by specter.harvey
I actually love the scouse. Kind of slutty/chavvy (no disrespect scousers!)

I also get a sense of the scouse accent making a lot of girls sounds a little less classy and more slutty (in a good way).
Reply 38
The accent makes you sound chavvy and unintelligent, which is probably why it's such a put-off for me. I also can't actually understand what a Scouser is saying a lot of the time.

When there are plenty of other girls who meet my standards, I don't know why I would want to date an irritating one. It would only be "shallow" to turn her down if she was the only person even remotely close to meeting your standards.
Reply 39
Original post by L18
The bit with ATMs that don't charge :wink:

C'mon, you're no Scouser my friend: that avatar gives you away.

Everyone on Merseyside knows that LFC fans hail from Great Yarmouth, Chipping Norton and that hotbed of Man. U fans, Stavanger.

Even Gerrard's an Evertonian :smile:

Regards,

Jonte :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending