The Student Room Group

2:2 from LSE - choices?

Graduated with a 2:2 from LSE and not really sure what to do. The initial aim was IB but not looking good at all, getting rejections from every firm I apply to (probably because the degree is coupled with a lack of work experience). Getting filtered out of most graduate schemes I look into and am running out of options. Seeing as IB looks like such a dead end I've been looking into accountancy and may proceed with the ACCA.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Really looks like all the doors are closing...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HuntNGather
Graduated with a 2:2 from LSE and not really sure what to do. The initial aim was IB but not looking good at all, getting rejections from every firm I apply to (probably because the degree is coupled with a lack of work experience). Getting filtered out of most graduate schemes I look into and am running out of options. Seeing as IB looks like such a dead end I've been looking into accountancy and may proceed with the ACCA.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Really looks like all the doors are closing...

Have you tried applying to consultancies like McKinsey & Co?

Dammnnn 2:2 from LSE!

Sorry bro but that's like travelling to New York and living in the ghetto parts, what happened man?
Reply 3
Original post by CoolStoryBroo

Sorry bro but that's like travelling to New York and living in the ghetto parts, what happened man?

haha
Reply 4

What degree did you do?
Original post by Zürich
haha

Nah i actually feel sorry for the guy lol if only he had 1st class or even 2:1 the story would have been soo much different.

If i could in LSE i would work my a$$ off day & night for that 3 years since that degree will be my job opportunity forever and i'm sure the undergrad is worth wayy more than the £9k fee
Reply 6
Nah i actually feel sorry for the guy lol if only he had 1st class or even 2:1 the story would have been soo much different.

If i could in LSE i would work my a$$ off day & night for that 3 years since that degree will be my job opportunity forever and i'm sure the undergrad is worth wayy more than the £9k fee

got a 1st from LSE in Economics and finding it hard so its not that simple anymore...
Original post by Zürich
got a 1st from LSE in Economics and finding it hard so its not that simple anymore...

Really? I thought banks would be begging you to work for them, unless people on this forum have been exaggeration about how an economics degree from oxbridge or lse is like a golden ticket
Reply 8
To be honest, degree clasification does not mean that a person is stupid. My friend failed his exams but he is now lead architect in software firm...I guess it's all about what you do with the knowledge. Some just can't pass exams. No blame for that...
Reply 9
Really? I thought banks would be begging you to work for them, unless people on this forum have been exaggeration about how an economics degree from oxbridge or lse is like a golden ticket

Who's even hiring though? a handful of grad places were available in this cycle . Going to start applying for other industries tbh as I'm not sure things are really going to improve any time soon...

people on this forum who say that are 16-18 year old kids who think they are better than the rest of their sixth form. They have no experience getting jobs and no experience in the world of work. Yet they know everything about what employers want and what universities are better than others, despite not having set foot inside any of them.
Reply 11

Have you not been listening to the news about thousands of job cuts in the banking sector?
Reply 12
Just curious because I always saw posts that LSE is elite uni... Is it hard to get the 1st a LSE? In Economics for example?
Reply 13

LOL
Original post by Valentas
Just curious because I always saw posts that LSE is elite uni... Is it hard to get the 1st a LSE? In Economics for example?

Don't know if the people there are really smart or if their exams are relatively easier but they have the best 1st class percentage i've seen so far.

When an employer sees 2:2, they dont see the LSE attached to it anymore.

Sorry mate you blew your chance.....

Too much clubbing was it? Love it when i see the first question students ask about their choice of uni. Whats the clubbing scene like??? Are there loads of bars around?

They pay a heavy price later
Original post by Octohedral
Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience in IB, but as far as I can see your only options are;

SNIP

2. Do a masters to cancel out your grade.

SNIP

A masters might be enough to get you on a graduate scheme, but financially it's a risk.

Bad, bad advice. A Masters does not cancel out a poor result in a first degree, while the work load is intense and so does not leave much time for 'networking' and gaining work experience.

My suggestion is to do as many relevant internships as you can possible afford, so that at least you get some work experience. As for graduate programmes, read the requirements carefully so that you don't waste time applying for ones that require a 2i, and ensure that you give really impressive responses to the open-ended questions.
Original post by hedgemonkey

Too much clubbing was it? Love it when i see the first question students ask about their choice of uni. Whats the clubbing scene like??? Are there loads of bars around?

I was going to say the same thing :smile:

Well said. People fly into LSE and whatever and then they enjoy it.
Reply 18
Original post by hedgemonkey

I kind of agree with you, but that really depends on the individual. Some people are great are balancing social life (whatever than involves) with work. Some, like me, find it tough to enjoy a night out when stressed with work, so decide to focus more on studying. The important thing is getting the balance that you as an individual can cope with.
Original post by Voyager_2002
Bad, bad advice. A Masters does not cancel out a poor result in a first degree, while the work load is intense and so does not leave much time for 'networking' and gaining work experience.

My suggestion is to do as many relevant internships as you can possible afford, so that at least you get some work experience. As for graduate programmes, read the requirements carefully so that you don't waste time applying for ones that require a 2i, and ensure that you give really impressive responses to the open-ended questions.

Ok, deleted. Surely if his qualifications are a problem, a Masters would help though? By 'cancel out' I obviously meant 'have something else to differentiate him'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending