The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Treeroy
The accent makes you sound chavvy and unintelligent, which is probably why it's such a put-off for me. I also can't actually understand what a Scouser is saying a lot of the time.

When there are plenty of other girls who meet my standards, I don't know why I would want to date an irritating one. It would only be "shallow" to turn her down if she was the only person even remotely close to meeting your standards.

My accent has nothing to do with my intelligence, you prejudiced arse.

Original post by specter.harvey
I actually love the scouse. Kind of slutty/chavvy (no disrespect scousers!)

And it doesn't make me slutty/chavvy. That is disrespectful, actually.

I don't even come from Liverpool - I'm from the same neck of the woods as Paul Hollywood - but aspects of the accent creep into your speech, and so many people judge you for it, as evidenced in this thread.
Reply 41
Original post by Treeroy
The accent makes you sound chavvy and unintelligent, which is probably why it's such a put-off for me. I also can't actually understand what a Scouser is saying a lot of the time.

When there are plenty of other girls who meet my standards, I don't know why I would want to date an irritating one. It would only be "shallow" to turn her down if she was the only person even remotely close to meeting your standards.

"You," sir, "you".......to whom do you refer???!!! :tongue:

In mind of your location, would you get upset if I substituted the words 'a Scouser' with the single word 'anyone' in your opening gambit?

After all, agricultural areas being the repose of those 'first generation away from the plough' sorts would probably find most outsiders unintelligible :wink:

Jonty
Reply 42
Original post by Miss Jean Brodie

I never said it did. I said it makes you sound unintelligent and chavvy.

Your lack of an ability to understand sentences constructed in your own language speaks quite enough about your intelligence on its own.

Original post by jonty
"You," sir, "you".......to whom do you refer???!!! :tongue:

About which part of my post were you talking? I wasn't referring to anyone specific.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Nope i wouldnt for no other reason than it does my head in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treeroy
I never said it did. I said it makes you sound unintelligent and chavvy.

Your lack of an ability to understand sentences constructed in your own language speaks quite enough about your intelligence on its own.

If you think someone sounds unintelligent, you're assuming they're unintelligent before you have a proper conversation with them to discover how intelligent they are.

I have a Masters in English so, you know, my comprehension of semantics is pretty good.
Reply 45

I don't even come from Liverpool - I'm from the same neck of the woods as Paul Hollywood - but aspects of the accent creep into your speech, and so many people judge you for it, as evidenced in this thread.

I agree with this. Im not a slut (Im quite far from it actually) and I dont look/act at all chavvy either. Yes you get sluts and chavs in Merseyside, but you get them everywhere else to. And with people saying it makes people seem less intelligent it could be argued that the same could be said for any regional accent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
If you think someone sounds unintelligent, you're assuming they're unintelligent before you have a proper conversation with them to discover how intelligent they are.

No, you're not. It might mean that you think there's a higher chance of them being unintelligent (which is probably true in this case, as I suspect being from the north is a confounding variable), but it doesn't mean that you assume that they are definitely unintelligent.
Reply 47

I have a Masters in English so, you know, my comprehension of semantics is pretty good.

Hi Miss Jean Brodie,

Perhaps I'm biased, but you make your point eloquently and succinctly.

I've been trying to rate your posts with a thumbs up (and Gemmam's) however, I'm informed I've run out of them :frown:

Please don't think I'm condescending when I say don't worry about the negative stereotyping of some (unlike you, I'm lyrically a tad clumsy and find it difficult to express myself but I'm sure you'll get the gist of what I'm trying to say). Just as a proportion (small) of some of our fellow Merseysiders will let us down at times, only a proportion (again, small) of our fellow Brits think ill of us. When it all comes down to it, in my experience, we're all pretty much the same wherever we come from, most being kind and considerate. Even those from Cambridge :wink:

Jonty.
Reply 48
Original post by College_Dropout
Accent wouldn't matter when I've got my schlong in her mouth.

I doubt you'll ever find a female companion of any species.

Poor chap.

Jonty
Couldn't go into a relationship with a girl with a proper scouse accent it would do my absolute head in. Such a horrible accent probably above German on the 'harshness on the ears' scale. Could probably manage a ONS though or a few casual meetings.
Fascinating amount of negs on the OP. Looks like some people need to read my disclaimer.

I'm asking for your opinions, not stating my own. Chill out.
Reply 51
I would not even want to converse with them
As long as they're not a Liverpool FC fan
Reply 53
Original post by AvocatDuDiable
Fascinating amount of negs on the OP. Looks like some people need to read my disclaimer.

Come, come now. Don't try resorting to the age old trick of mitigating an OP several posts down the line just because things are getting a little heated. You posed a question which even amoebae would have suspected was just a tad contentious, so don't go whimping out now. Have some b*lls, man.

May I ask, why on earth would it occur to any right minded individual to even drum up such a notion in the first place? I'm simply dumbfounded!

In point of fact, without getting personal, I think I noted you are from Wales? No sleight intended, but the reason I mention this is because it reminded me of a point I was going to make in response to another posters witty caricature of Jamie Carragher's accent with it's rather guttural quality.
Whilst it is a long held belief that Scouse has its origins in the Emerald Isle - indeed Liverpool has oft been referred to as East Dublin - I can't help noticing a peculiarity it shares with Welsh, especially North Wales and it's guttural sounds in particular e.g. the pronunciation of 'Yaki da' with its emphasis on the 'ki' which appears to be encroaching on the accent with the passage of time.

Another thing Jamie does, I've noticed, is change into what I rather unceremoniously call 'Scouser Abroad mode' when he's away from home e.g. on the telly. A number of my fellow Merseysiders adopt this stance of exaggerating their accent when away from home, hence the 'Abroad Mode', whether as a resolve to perceived contempt from others or simply worn as a badge of honour. Perhaps a little of both. I'm really no expert; these are just my opinions and conclusions, and I mean no disrespect to Mr. Carragher or anybody else.

Jonty
Reply 54
Original post by HollyB_C
I would not even want to converse with them

With your rather supercilious attitude, young man, (I take it from your photo you are male?) I somehow doubt anyone from anywhere would bother to make your acquaintance.

What a pity this remark can't be attached your personal statement or C.V. for a future employer to see what an unsuitable candidate you would make for any post.

"Oh, I was only joking!" Right.

Jonty
Original post by jonty
Come, come now. Don't try resorting to the age old trick of mitigating an OP several posts down the line just because things are getting a little heated. You posed a question which even amoebae would have suspected was just a tad contentious, so don't go whimping out now. Have some b*lls, man.

May I ask, why on earth would it occur to any right minded individual to even drum up such a notion in the first place? I'm simply dumbfounded!

Your amoebae would be completely wrong. I posed the question because of a conversation I overheard between two friends, one of whom suggested a scouse accent would put him off going out with a girl. The question doesn't represent my views at all, as I made extremely clear in the OP. I'm "simply dumbfounded" that any right-minded individual would assume otherwise.
The offense is caused by the implication that the accent alone could make an otherwise attractive individual undesirable. This is made much worse by picking on one accent in particular in a nation of multiple accents, singling it out as not just the worst, but by far the worst.

Saying you don't like the Liverpool accent is fine. Saying it's worse than the Birmingham accent is unforgivable and would bring into question your judgement.
Reply 57
I love Scouse accents, they're better than Geordie definitely :tongue:
Original post by AvocatDuDiable

Oh come on. If I made a thread asking people if they would consider dating a black person who otherwise meets their requirements then the negs would be in triple digits.
Reply 59
I love scouse girls! so YES

Latest

Trending

Trending