The Student Room Group

I think I'm in love with my friend

I have this friend, and I could always go to him for anything. He liked me for at least four years, but I never let anything happen because I was too scared to ruin our friendship, so I let him believe that I didn't feel the same, and tried to put it out of my mind. This worked for a while, but he's recently got a girlfriend and ever since then I've just been feeling really upset about everything. I just put it down to the stress of exams and stuff, but I can't stop thinking about him, and I don't know what to do.
Reply 1
Friend zone goes bye-bye? Doesn't matter if he has a gf, no harm in just telling him how you feel. You can leave it all to him then.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have this friend, and I could always go to him for anything. He liked me for at least four years, but I never let anything happen because I was too scared to ruin our friendship, so I let him believe that I didn't feel the same, and tried to put it out of my mind. This worked for a while, but he's recently got a girlfriend and ever since then I've just been feeling really upset about everything. I just put it down to the stress of exams and stuff, but I can't stop thinking about him, and I don't know what to do.

You can't do anything. He has moved on. So you should.
Reply 3
You left him to suffer and now he has alluded your grasp, move on.
Reply 4
Sorry to tell you but I think you've missed your chance
Reply 5
Missed your chance, move on, it's unfair to play with his emotions at this point.
Reply 6
It's easy to say "No, move on, you missed your chance" but I'm in a relationship now with my best friend who should have missed their chance and very nearly did... But I let them back in because I felt so much for them when it was the other way around, and I can honestly say this is the happiest I've ever been and we've been together 4 months now and still going strong. So really... If you think he means that much to you, just tell him. The worst he can say is no, and then you can move on. If you don't, you'll always have the "what if" - life's too short not to take your chances.
Reply 7
Original post by KJbean
It's easy to say "No, move on, you missed your chance" but I'm in a relationship now with my best friend who should have missed their chance and very nearly did... But I let them back in because I felt so much for them when it was the other way around, and I can honestly say this is the happiest I've ever been and we've been together 4 months now and still going strong. So really... If you think he means that much to you, just tell him. The worst he can say is no, and then you can move on. If you don't, you'll always have the "what if" - life's too short not to take your chances.

But he has a girlfriend.
Reply 8
Original post by Iron Lady
But he has a girlfriend.

True, and I'm not saying splitting them up is right but surely there's no harm in telling him? If he has all the information, then he can know he's with the right person. In my situation - I was him, and I was about to be with someone else. At the time, although I didn't want to admit it, I was only doing it to get over my friend.

Obviously, I'm going off my own experience and it could be totally different for these 2 people but, from my own experience, I was glad that I knew.
Reply 9
I also won't say you've definitely missed your chance, but don't **** up his head by telling him you like like him now when he's with someone else. That would be horribly unfair. It could result in losing your friendship and messing him up to the point where he loses his girlfriend.

That is, admittedly the worst case scenario, and not overly likely.

If you really can't stop thinking about him, then tell him. But expect him to say no, as it sounds like he's moved on.
Original post by KJbean

4 months pffft....come back and talk in 2 years.

Lol@"4 months now and still going strong"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by DorianGrayism
4 months pffft....come back and talk in 2 years.

Lol@"4 months now and still going strong"

There's no need to be rude. I'm not 16 and loving my bby 4eva... I'm 21 and in a committed relationship. Maybe I will come back in 2 years... But it's not up to you to tell me to. Come back when you've jumped off your high horse.
Original post by KJbean
There's no need to be rude. I'm not 16 and loving my bby 4eva... I'm 21 and in a committed relationship. Maybe I will come back in 2 years... But it's not up to you to tell me to. Come back when you've jumped off your high horse.

Ok I was just joking around.
Reply 13
I don't think you should give it the name of "love" yet, because you have tested your relationship as friends and nothing else, but it is safer to say that you have a "crush" on him. It's normal for your feelings to have intensified now that he has a girlfriend, but the best you can do at the moment is remember he has a girlfriend and that he is unavailable. He may get out of that relationship one day, but till then keep your feelings and thoughts to yourself, and perhaps distract yourself so you're not always thinking about him :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending