The Student Room Group

How much do you expect to earn

when you get your first job?

And why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm even happy with minimum wage as long as I can live from it. Of course, I'll be getting it when I will start working. I don't have any particular reasons as I'm not a money hungry person..
16k i'd be happy with it and feel i can achieve that with no problems!. I'll have 24k each year coming from other investments over the next few years. I dont really like working for someone else, if you earn a high wage believe me most the time they make you work it. I'd rather have a pretty chilled environment for less money in the workplace.
£26k. Because I know I will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The pre-reg training year for me would be around £20000.
Reply 5
Well, when I started uni (2007) I was promised above 27k as a starting salary. Then the recession struck.

Realistically you should be very pleased with over 20k, though once your foot is in the door you can climb pretty fast.

I started on 21k and after a year I'm now on 25.5k

Go NHS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I would be content with around £22,000 as my starting salary!
Reply 7
Original post by kaypc
The pre-reg training year for me would be around £20000.

:eek: Is that how much pre-regs get now?
Reply 8
Original post by shonaT
:eek: Is that how much pre-regs get now?

yeah, if you study Pharmacy but it varies a little depending on location.
Reply 9
I don't know, I would just like to earn. :frown:
Reply 10
whats the average starting wage for a grad scheme?
Reply 11
I expect no less than £14k, but that's on the basis that my previous employer said they'd always have me back and that's their most basic pay rate. Hopefully it would be more than that, but I'm not kidding myself, my degree doesn't lead directly to a career path, and I'm quite happy to simply use it as an extra until I've worked my way up to management in a company, which I expect to do so by 25ish.

Again, this based on my previous employer again, I'm working seasonally for them and have been told by the site manager I'm already a great candidate for low-tier management and with a degree I'll be a shoe in for fast track to Unit management, and that's a packet of around £24k.

So yeah, failing everything else, that.
Reply 12
When I graduate and start working at 23, I'd expect something like £35k in the first year roughly

strong negs
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by kaypc
yeah, if you study Pharmacy but it varies a little depending on location.

I'm just out of touch. When I graduated I got was considered a 'high paid' pre reg position earning 12k, some of my friends earned between 5 and 8K.
Reply 14
Original post by bertstare
When I graduate and start working at 23, I'd expect something like £35k in the first year roughly

What are you aiming to do?
Reply 15
Original post by twinkazz
Well, when I started uni (2007) I was promised above 27k as a starting salary. Then the recession struck.

Realistically you should be very pleased with over 20k, though once your foot is in the door you can climb pretty fast.

I started on 21k and after a year I'm now on 25.5k

Go NHS!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry if this sounds stupid but is that kind of money good enough for a student? Like could you be getting 21-25k, have a flat and still have some money for a few leisurely things?
Reply 16
Between £33k to £36k.

That is the average for my degree from a top uni.

Warwick computer science student.
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends on your job obviously! I always kinda expected I'd earn like 20k when I left uni..just because I was a graduate... How naive of me!!

I took a temp job waitressing so I get about £750 a month (10k a year) plus cash tips which I can live on ok. I'm looking at admin jobs which offer around 13k-15k average so I can get experience before getting into HR.

If you think about it realistically, I'm sure you could live comfortably on a smaller wage than you're expecting. £1000 a month after tax would be awesome and that's only about 14k before tax.
millions
Original post by arkhamz
Sorry if this sounds stupid but is that kind of money good enough for a student? Like could you be getting 21-25k, have a flat and still have some money for a few leisurely things?

Break it down into a monthly wage and that'll help you work it out. My first month's salary was £1200 before tax (that would be a 14k job).

Then you get taxed so I got £987 after tax.
My rent is £300 a month (sharing with another girl), council tax £83, so that left about £600 for bills and food. I could live quite well on that.

It was only when I got paid £550 after tax one month that I had trouble - I had to take money out of my savings to pay and basically spent nothing except bills and used my tips for food and transport to work. (I'm a waitress atm, and have a degree. Some jobs I apply for, there are 150+ applicants so you really have to do extra things at uni to stand out!!)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest