The Student Room Group

GCSE Statistics coursework

Hello , I'm currently doing AQA GCSE Statistics coursework with the question 'where is unemployment greater?'.
I have two hypotheses which are: the larger the population of an area, the more people are unemployed and an area which has less people with an NVQ4 qualification, has more people who are unemployed. I have done the sampling and picked 50 places in England but I am now unsure about what graphs I could use. I know I could do histograms and cumulative frequency diagrams but those won't really compare the two variables in my hypothesis. The only diagram I can think of that would compare the variables is a scatter diagram so I would be grateful if anyone could suggest other graphs or charts which I could use to compare the variables.

Thank you
Original post by SaraB_
the larger the population of an area, the more people are unemployed

You need to think about the wording of your hypothesis. At the moment it sounds like you are investigating whether a city with a population of 500,000 people has more unemployed people than a village of 100 people.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
You need to think about the wording of your hypothesis. At the moment it sounds like you are investigating whether a city with a population of 500,000 people has more unemployed people than a village of 100 people.

I suppose that's true but my teacher checked our hypotheses and many people had this hypothesis. I know I should change it to unemployment rate instead of number of people who are unemployed but then wouldn't I have to work out percentages?
Original post by SaraB_
I suppose that's true but my teacher checked our hypotheses and many people had this hypothesis. I know I should change it to unemployment rate instead of number of people who are unemployed but then wouldn't I have to work out percentages?

You should certainly look at the number of people unemployed per 1000 people or something like that. Do you find working out percentages difficult?
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
You should certainly look at the number of people unemployed per 1000 people or something like that. Do you find working out percentages difficult?

If I had to then I could work out the percentages but since I have a sample of 50 places this would take up quite a lot of space in my coursework and we have a page limit. So theoretically could I just do my original hypothesis and still get the same marks that I would for doing a hypothesis with unemployment rate?
Reply 5
Original post by SaraB_
If I had to then I could work out the percentages but since I have a sample of 50 places this would take up quite a lot of space in my coursework and we have a page limit. So theoretically could I just do my original hypothesis and still get the same marks that I would for doing a hypothesis with unemployment rate?

Dont make yourseld do extra work by using percentages, use your origional hypothesis and go from there, avoid the histogram as it won't show your data to be very comparative. I only got 4 marks for my coursework in stats tho so who am I to say. Did come out with a B after minimal effort tho
Original post by calm down
Dont ...

Original post by calm down
I only got 4 marks for my coursework in stats tho so who am I to say.

Quite.
Original post by SaraB_

A set of percentages should take up no more than one column in your table of results and, if you reduce the column width, it won't occupy any additional space.

If your hypothesis is stupid, your whole project is ultimately pointless.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
A set of percentages should take up no more than one column in your table of results and, if you reduce the column width, it won't occupy any additional space.

If your hypothesis is stupid, your whole project is ultimately pointless.

So would I have to show the working for the percentages or could I just write them next to the sampled areas in my data sheets as the data sheets don't count towards the pages?
Original post by SaraB_
So would I have to show the working for the percentages or could I just write them next to the sampled areas in my data sheets as the data sheets don't count towards the pages?

Write them wherever you like.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
Write them wherever you like.

Ok, but would I have to show the working out? Also, after I have done this, what are other graphs apart from a scatter diagram that I could use to compare the variables?

Quick Reply

Latest