The Student Room Group

Is this new fashion to wear fake glasses offensive?

So, I was toddling along the other day when I saw yet another scene kid wearing enormous black plastic glasses with no lenses in them. A totally random thought occurred to me that isn't that making fun of a disability?

Being short sighted is the biggest pain in my ass and I'm sure these people wouldn't like it half so much if they were forced to wear glasses!

So what do you think? I'm not actually offended by people who do this, I just feel embarrassed for them, but I wondered if this thought had occurred to anyone else!

EDIT: Just to clarify, my question is has anyone, bespectacled or not, ever had the thought occur to them that this fashion is disrespectful of a disability. It is not my opinion that it is, or that glasses even are a disability, I'm asking what other people think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They look like completely utter *****...

But it's not offensive.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
well, I've never seen someone without lenses in glasses.. but about wearing glasses when you don't need them.. I'm short-sighted, wear contact lenses but I think the fact that people wear a certain kind of glasses as fashionable (ray ban I mean) is helpful in a way that if I had them, it wouldn't be obvious if I need them or not ;d but I don't do that anyway, generally, no I don't take it as offence, more like -it's ok to wear glasses- form of consolation and solidarity xd
Reply 3
Did you really just say wearing glasses is a disability?

Reply 4
Yeah it looks ridiculous but its not offensive...
Why does everything people do have to be seen an attack on someone else these days?!
They wear them cause they think it looks cute to be geeky (even though it really doesn't), not because they want to cause offense to those who actually have to wear them.#

P.S. I agree that wearing glasses is not really a disability. You are not unable to do anything just because you wear glasses, thats why you wear them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Short-sightedness is hardly a disability. And surely if you're not offended, then it's not offensive - being offended is subjective and no act is inherently offensive.
I asked if anyone else had had the same thought and/or was offended by it. If I'd been having a serious debate I would have put this thread somewhere other than chat.

I thought it was counted as a disability because you're disadvantaged compared to someone with perfect vision. There was a thread about it like 2 days ago or something.
Original post by Beckyweck
I asked if anyone else had had the same thought and/or was offended by it. If I'd been having a serious debate I would have put this thread somewhere other than chat.

I thought it was counted as a disability because you're disadvantaged compared to someone with perfect vision. There was a thread about it like 2 days ago or something.

Fair enough. Then no, I'm not offended by it as someone who wears glasses.
Reply 8
Its ridiculous and makes me want to slap them for looking so stupid but no its not exactly offensive
Reply 9
nobody is going to be offended, much more likely amused by these people's desire to look so silly :tongue:
Reply 10
Definetly not. Stupid but no not offensive!
Original post by Jingers
Did you really just say wearing glasses is a disability?

I asked if people felt that way, not that I did. I was merely curious.
I think it's stupid, I was watching this hijab tutorial the other day and the girl wore over sized glasses to substitute wearing any eye make up, as if it was an accessory. :dry:
Reply 13
Original post by xStaceyy
Yeah it looks ridiculous but its not offensive...
Why does everything people do have to be seen an attack on someone else these days?!
They wear them cause they think it looks cute to be geeky (even though it really doesn't), not because they want to cause offense to those who actually have to wear them.#

P.S. I agree that wearing glasses is not really a disability. You are not unable to do anything just because you wear glasses, thats why you wear them.

If you don't do contacts then yes, there are a good few things you are unable to do in the same way as others.

Assuming I don't put contacts in (which can be a massive pain in the arse/damaging to my eyes/expensive/impossible depending on when I last used the contacts due to the solution I have to use):

I can't go for a run unless it's a very specific route where I know exactly where I'm going and I'm not going to be in any danger from other people.

I can't comfortably work out at the gym (it is impossible to wear glasses and sweat profusely at the same time, and not being able to see properly causes some social awkwardness).

I can't really enjoy myself at a swimming complex because I can't see properly. This is tricky even with contacts, because it's not safe to use my normal contacts in a swimming pool, unless it's time to throw them away. I have to use daily disposables which are expensive and uncomfortable.

That's what I've got off the top of my head. I notice all this because I only started wearing glasses when I was 19.
Original post by Ronove
X

It's also incredibly annoying when your glasses get scratched or smudged and makes your vision streaky in the day and distorts lights. And contacts can be quite painful so they're not exactly an easy alternative. :3

Looking at screens with dirty glasses is a nightmare too.
Reply 15
Original post by Ronove
If you don't do contacts then yes, there are a good few things you are unable to do in the same way as others.

Assuming I don't put contacts in (which can be a massive pain in the arse/damaging to my eyes/expensive/impossible depending on when I last used the contacts due to the solution I have to use):

I can't go for a run unless it's a very specific route where I know exactly where I'm going and I'm not going to be in any danger from other people.

I can't comfortably work out at the gym (it is impossible to wear glasses and sweat profusely at the same time, and not being able to see properly causes some social awkwardness).

I can't really enjoy myself at a swimming complex because I can't see properly. This is tricky even with contacts, because it's not safe to use my normal contacts in a swimming pool, unless it's time to throw them away. I have to use daily disposables which are expensive and uncomfortable.

That's what I've got off the top of my head. I notice all this because I only started wearing glasses when I was 19.

It might be a pain but the point is that by wearing contacts, you are no longer 'disabled'. I have a friend who was born with no muscle in her legs and she has to wear metal splints in order for her to walk. They take her about 10 minutes to put on each day, they dig into her legs and they give way sometimes causing her to fall. She does everything in her power to reduce her disability, even though its 'a massive pain in the arse' because she has to.
Thing is, you can still do everything, she can't. Perhaps its a little more difficult, but you are in no way 'disabled' because your contacts hurt your eyes a bit or your glasses fall off when you sweat.
Reply 16
Original post by Beckyweck
It's also incredibly annoying when your glasses get scratched or smudged and makes your vision streaky in the day and distorts lights. And contacts can be quite painful so they're not exactly an easy alternative. :3

Looking at screens with dirty glasses is a nightmare too.

See, I can't even do computer work with my glasses on. It just makes my eyes feel weird. I think the optician I mentioned this to said there was a reason (possibly to do with my astigmatism?) but yeah... quite annoying if it's a public computer and you have to keep the glasses on your head so you can look around if you want to - and if it's warm, they get all sweaty from your scalp. :mad: My glasses have a few minor scratches and are perpetually filthy. There's no way I could possibly afford more (that I would feel comfortable sporting :tongue:) any time soon though.
Original post by Ronove
See, I can't even do computer work with my glasses on. It just makes my eyes feel weird. I think the optician I mentioned this to said there was a reason (possibly to do with my astigmatism?) but yeah... quite annoying if it's a public computer and you have to keep the glasses on your head so you can look around if you want to - and if it's warm, they get all sweaty from your scalp. :mad: My glasses have a few minor scratches and are perpetually filthy. There's no way I could possibly afford more (that I would feel comfortable sporting :tongue:) any time soon though.

Wouldn't it be nice just to be able to wear them as a fashion statement? :P
Reply 18
It might be a pain but the point is that by wearing contacts, you are no longer 'disabled'. I have a friend who was born with no muscle in her legs and she has to wear metal splints in order for her to walk. They take her about 10 minutes to put on each day, they dig into her legs and they give way sometimes causing her to fall. She does everything in her power to reduce her disability, even though its 'a massive pain in the arse' because she has to.
Thing is, you can still do everything, she can't. Perhaps its a little more difficult, but you are in no way 'disabled' because your contacts hurt your eyes a bit or your glasses fall off when you sweat.

I never said I or anyone else was disabled. I was responding to what you said in your post. Disregarding that fact, what you just said makes no logical sense. 'This person has a harder time of it, therefore you are not disabled'. There are people who are totally bedridden due to disability - does this mean your friend isn't disabled either now?

Some people can't even wear contacts. I've had times where I've been told to stop wearing them for a while due to the risk of going blind from the damage they can do to your eyes. And if someone's contacts 'hurt their eyes a bit' at all beyond the first ten minutes of putting them in, they're not going to be able to wear them. It is impossible to get on with day to day life with stinging eyes.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but there are loads of people who aren't as disabled as her but are still disabled. My friend is in a wheelchair, so it's not like I'm totally clueless about these things.

Genuine question, not just to you but to anyone, is it counted as disabled to be on the autism spectrum?

Latest