The Student Room Group

Gym pet peeves

Scroll to see replies

I have none when I go to the gym I have one interest only and that's to train, I couldn't give a damn what noises other people make or how much they talk or if they thrown dumbbells down after using them or spend half an hour looking at themself in the mirror. As long as I can get my workout done and achieve my goals I'm not interested in what other people do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by McHumpy92
I generally do all these.

I don't wipe up sweat
I sit on machinery when I am not using it, I hate standing.
I grunt when the weight gets heavy
I drop the weights
I generally do low reps, so most will think I use too much weight

If someone has their stuff on equipment...I just move it, I don't ask them to move it or if it is their stuff, I just move it. I rarely see people curling in the squat rack.

What gets on my nerves is how people seem to think because they're doing a genuine exercise like rows or deadlift it means they have to use an olympic lifting platform...I just tell them to do their deadlifts not on the platforms if I need it.

OK I saw this when you posted it and it's been blowing my mind for like a day or so. I have a few questions.

When you just randomly move people's stuff, where do you move it to? Do you move it to somewhere obvious and considerate (unlikely) or do you hide it in a corner behind a weights tree or something so that they spend ages looking for it and don't disturb your workout? Are people ever bothered that a guy walks round the gym periodically picking up stuff that belongs to them? Do you move stuff that people have obviously left there because they're between sets? What do you do when they come back? Are they just too intimidated to start **** with you?

Do you find that picking up people's stuff in public places without their permission is a transferable skill? Like, have you ever been on a crowded train where you see one seat, and someone's bag is on it. The toilet is locked and you figure they're probably in there, but you think "nah, I need that seat" and dump his bag in the middle of the aisle? If so do you empty the bag first?

How does the conversation usually go when you order someone off the platforms that you "need" for your 2 plate power cleans? Do they ever just laugh at you, or do they always unload their bar, move it to a bit of floor, load it again while giving their friend a glance behind your back that says "hey, at least that kid's out of the house, my neighbour has an autistic son just like that and all he does is play computer games"? What would you do if they DID just laugh at you? Would you do your powercleans somewhere else, thus compromising your workout and potentially bruising your thighs? Would you try to talk to them and use charm and persuasion to get your way (lol)? Or would you end up being carried out of the gym by the owner as you scream, kick your legs and pound his back with your tiny little fists?
Reply 42
People who call working out training.

Unless its specifically for a sport/event you're not 'training'.
Original post by The Troll Toll
x

Lol autistic neighbor ha
Reply 44
I do deadlifts in front of the rack all the time, in fact I do them exclusively in front of the rack. If I'm using the bar what use would someone have for the rack?
Reply 45
Original post by The Troll Toll
OK I saw this when you posted it and it's been blowing my mind for like a day or so. I have a few questions.

When you just randomly move people's stuff, where do you move it to? Do you move it to somewhere obvious and considerate (unlikely) or do you hide it in a corner behind a weights tree or something so that they spend ages looking for it and don't disturb your workout? Are people ever bothered that a guy walks round the gym periodically picking up stuff that belongs to them? Do you move stuff that people have obviously left there because they're between sets? What do you do when they come back? Are they just too intimidated to start **** with you?

Do you find that picking up people's stuff in public places without their permission is a transferable skill? Like, have you ever been on a crowded train where you see one seat, and someone's bag is on it. The toilet is locked and you figure they're probably in there, but you think "nah, I need that seat" and dump his bag in the middle of the aisle? If so do you empty the bag first?

How does the conversation usually go when you order someone off the platforms that you "need" for your 2 plate power cleans? Do they ever just laugh at you, or do they always unload their bar, move it to a bit of floor, load it again while giving their friend a glance behind your back that says "hey, at least that kid's out of the house, my neighbour has an autistic son just like that and all he does is play computer games"? What would you do if they DID just laugh at you? Would you do your powercleans somewhere else, thus compromising your workout and potentially bruising your thighs? Would you try to talk to them and use charm and persuasion to get your way (lol)? Or would you end up being carried out of the gym by the owner as you scream, kick your legs and pound his back with your tiny little fists?

Just put their stuff on the nearest bit of floor space.

Just say 'you can do deadlifts on the regular gym surface and don't need the platforms and I need them for powercleans, if it isn't too much trouble etc', they oblige. Bars are easily rolled.

Glad that made it more clear for you. I skim read so I am sorry if I missed out some questions, there was a lot of crap in there that made me switch off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
#1 Poor form on the erg OMG it actually really annoys me, I can't look and have to look away. It's even more annoying when you're 15 minutes in to a peice with a good rythm, concentration and are cruising along. Then they sit next to you, blast out 2 minutes worth of sliding up and down the rail so fast wit they're a blur, with no actual drive and then go away having wrecked your rythm.

#2 Dropping weights every 5 minutes, there is no need.

Everything else is not a problem.
Reply 47
Original post by Pegasus2
#1 Poor form on the erg OMG it actually really annoys me, I can't look and have to look away. It's even more annoying when you're 15 minutes in to a peice with a good rythm, concentration and are cruising along. Then they sit next to you, blast out 2 minutes worth of sliding up and down the rail so fast wit they're a blur, with no actual drive and then go away having wrecked your rythm.

#2 Dropping weights every 5 minutes, there is no need.

Everything else is not a problem.

Why does someone else's bad form bother you? Chances are they're a beginner and are not aware of the importance of good form.

Only thing that bothers me in the gym is when the equipment I want to use is being used, but I don't get angry, just wait lol
Reply 48
Original post by zKlown
Why does someone else's bad form bother you? Chances are they're a beginner and are not aware of the importance of good form.

Only thing that bothers me in the gym is when the equipment I want to use is being used, but I don't get angry, just wait lol

I don't know. It does though. I've stopped a one or two people and explained, which I wouden't usually do but they were going the right way to do some serious damage to themselves. They wern't intrested. They are also wasting their time as I was about to out split them on arms only on a warm up.
Guys who remove the pins from machines and put them in a heavier weight than they were lifting, its like, dude, its obvious you werent doing a seated row of 200kg, thats 4x your weight. Seen people do this with plates too.

Anyone lifting more than me.
Original post by the666thmessiah
Guys who remove the pins from machines and put them in a heavier weight than they were lifting, its like, dude, its obvious you werent doing a seated row of 200kg, thats 4x your weight. Seen people do this with plates too.

When I finish with a machine I put the pin to a low weight so the next person to go on it wont feel bad.
Reply 51
I always reset the pin to zero or whatever the first weight is.

If several people have used the bar before me and I think they will come back to it I set it back to how I found it, heavier or lighter, incase they are on sets of whatever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52

Lol, yeah this annoys me for some reason. I'm like, ffs, why can't I lift that heavy :frown:

But I'm a beginner so yeah

lolwat.

Never seen this, although I don't doubt it happens.

SOME PEOPLE. Jeez.
Grunting. It seriously unsettles me, although at times makes me giggle.

Dropping weights. Terrifies me. If you've been nlifting all this time, then spend that last one pulling it down.

Girls (or guys, although mainly girls) doing ridiculously low weights. I know we all have to start somewhere, but I was pretty poor when I started and I didn't do that low!

People (mainly girls again) on their phone constantly. If you can text/be on the phone whilst working out, you are not working out properly.

People walking on a steep incline on the treadmills. Does that actually do anything?

3-4 guys surrounding a machine which has 2 or 3 seats. And staying there for around 20 minutes. Rotate round 1 seat maybe? I undeerstand gym buddies but 4?? Seriously?! Also very unsettling for me (a girl) to walk over and start using it, if you're standing right next to me.

People who talk to me in the gym. I understand things like 'you using this machine?', 'can I grab this?' etc. But please don't start a conversation with me in the middle of a workout. Do I look like I'm able to reply?
Original post by concubine
lolwat.

Never seen this, although I don't doubt it happens.

SOME PEOPLE. Jeez.

IKR?! ... I barely ever see people lift more than me, you probably havent seen it because you probably dont know me, but yeah, it really gets to me, glad it gets to you...

Seriously though, Ive seen it happen at every gym I have been to, it is usually the skinny guys drinking protein WHILE they are in the gym, and wear a belt while bench pressing or doing bicep curls... Keep an eye out, its quite funny tbh.
Original post by Mother_Russia
Grunting. It seriously unsettles me, although at times makes me giggle.

Dropping weights. Terrifies me. If you've been nlifting all this time, then spend that last one pulling it down.

Girls (or guys, although mainly girls) doing ridiculously low weights. I know we all have to start somewhere, but I was pretty poor when I started and I didn't do that low!

People (mainly girls again) on their phone constantly. If you can text/be on the phone whilst working out, you are not working out properly.

People walking on a steep incline on the treadmills. Does that actually do anything?

3-4 guys surrounding a machine which has 2 or 3 seats. And staying there for around 20 minutes. Rotate round 1 seat maybe? I undeerstand gym buddies but 4?? Seriously?! Also very unsettling for me (a girl) to walk over and start using it, if you're standing right next to me.

People who talk to me in the gym. I understand things like 'you using this machine?', 'can I grab this?' etc. But please don't start a conversation with me in the middle of a workout. Do I look like I'm able to reply?

Sometimes grunting helps, it just depends on what the grunt is;

Some of them just sound like an over the top orgasm, which is awkward, others sound pathetic, and then there are the over the top angry ones.

When I do grunt, its usually only with deadlifts, where I typically shout something along the lines of "I AM THOR THE GOD OF THUNDER"... you know, to provide people some entertainment at least during the awkwardness of having to put up with the grunt itself.
Sometimes grunting helps, it just depends on what the grunt is;

Some of them just sound like an over the top orgasm, which is awkward, others sound pathetic, and then there are the over the top angry ones.

When I do grunt, its usually only with deadlifts, where I typically shout something along the lines of "I AM THOR THE GOD OF THUNDER"... you know, to provide people some entertainment at least during the awkwardness of having to put up with the grunt itself.

It's the elongated orgasms which worry me the most. As there's a separate room for the weights in our gym, you can collectively see everyone else just turn their heads in worry towards this room.

But if I was to hear Thor...that's absolutely fine, at least I know what's going on.
Reply 58
I grunt on the erg towards the end, for which I apologise in advance.

Infact, fairly sure i've cleared a whole row out before.
Original post by RtGOAT
People who call working out training.

Unless its specifically for a sport/event you're not 'training'.

im training to be a sick ****, come at me bro!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest