The Student Room Group

I want a photography camera for my birthday- which one shall I get?

Hi

My birthday's coming up and my mum's asking me what I want. And I actually don't know. I like images and photography (even though I've never owned a camera and used one efficiently)- but I'd like to.

What are really good cameras for photography and affordable ones also!!

Suggestions please! :smile:
Reply 1
Hey, what's your price range?
Reply 2
Nikon D3100 would be a good place to start for beginners imo, that's if you want an SLR.
Reply 3
Any entry level DSLR will do, just make sure its either a Nikon or Canon. You will thank me later because you will realise a good range of quality lenses matter more than you probably think right now.
For a lower mid range DSLR as I'm assuming this is what you're after (something that takes good quality photos with a variety of settings to play with, but not with the expense of a professional camera) I would recommend

- Canon 1100D - currently going for £329 on Jessops with an 18-55mm lens, not the most advanced camera around, but for a beginner, its a sweetspot between ease of use and professionalism.

- Canon 500D (the one I use) I got this bundled with an 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens because it was getting slightly older, however I'll stress that newer =/= better. This is currently going for around £350 new from sellers on eBay, although shop around, its pretty easy to find slightly older cameras with a few bundled lenses.
I'm hoping to buy a camera soon, with a budget of around £300. I plan on starting a blog to document my year abroad, so will be taking photos of all kinds of things, from food to countryside. I'd like a DSLR but apart from that have no idea. Any suggestions?
Reply 6
Original post by 747-400
Nikon D3100 would be a good place to start for beginners imo, that's if you want an SLR.

Original post by rjm101
Any entry level DSLR will do, just make sure its either a Nikon or Canon. You will thank me later because you will realise a good range of quality lenses matter more than you probably think right now.

Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
For a lower mid range DSLR as I'm assuming this is what you're after (something that takes good quality photos with a variety of settings to play with, but not with the expense of a professional camera) I would recommend

- Canon 1100D - currently going for £329 on Jessops with an 18-55mm lens, not the most advanced camera around, but for a beginner, its a sweetspot between ease of use and professionalism.

- Canon 500D (the one I use) I got this bundled with an 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens because it was getting slightly older, however I'll stress that newer =/= better. This is currently going for around £350 new from sellers on eBay, although shop around, its pretty easy to find slightly older cameras with a few bundled lenses.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll have a look at them. To me, £300 is a wopping amount of money! So I know it doesn't help when wanting a photography camera... :/
And sorry guys, I'm new to all this. Have no idea what some of your jargon and abbreviation means! I'm new to all this, so do forgive me! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by AlligatorSky
Hey, what's your price range?

Hmmm, £300 just seems like too much for my family to afford even! And I don't want them to feel bad about it! Under £300 would probably be rubbish quality.
Reply 8
Original post by Kousar
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll have a look at them. To me, £300 is a wopping amount of money! So I know it doesn't help when wanting a photography camera... :/
And sorry guys, I'm new to all this. Have no idea what some of your jargon and abbreviation means! I'm new to all this, so do forgive me! :smile:

Look out for used ones on eBay!
You can get Nikon D40s/D70s etc on there a bit cheaper?
Reply 9
Original post by 747-400

True, forgot all about ebay! Thanks for the reminder :smile:
Original post by Kousar
Hmmm, £300 just seems like too much for my family to afford even! And I don't want them to feel bad about it! Under £300 would probably be rubbish quality.

First lesson in photography: It's not what you have, it's how you use it!
Second lesson in photography: Learn how to edit photos to cover up any inadequacies from the first lesson.

You may want to consider a used or refurbished camera, especially if it's the first thing you're going to be purchasing. Many people buy cameras second hand and they're usually fine provided the seller is reputable.

My camera is the EOS 1000D - The one before the aforementioned 1100D. This camera, at least for Canon, basically invented the "entry level" standard for their range. I don't think they had a more basic, new, camera available at the time. Used ones are sub £200 and they should be perfectly fine to use. However, this camera came out before the generations of video DSLRs were really even invented - So no video functions. If you need video, look to the 500D or 550D, but that will break the budget.

I can't speak for the Nikon range, but from the specs, I'm not a huge fan of their entry level stuff. Their lenses can be a bit cheaper, but they have a strange internal focusing mechanism which means some older lenses (not prehistoric ones, just somewhat old) will require manual focusing. It's not a massive problem, but it's something to consider.

Here are a few pictures for you to look at just to see what an entry-level, 4 year old, camera can offer (It's also a great plug for me):

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

Trust me, old cameras and used ones will be fine. To be perfectly honest, I have been disappointed at how slowly the new Canon cameras seem to have been developing. Many of the new ones are carbon copies (or with very little in the way of advancements) to the older ones.

The trick is knowing how to operate the camera (by experimenting), picking the right lens (by experience) and editing (through practice).

A £200 camera with the 18-55mm kit lens plus a £80 "50mm f/1.8" by Canon (when you're ready. The kit lens will last you some time) would be a fantastic investment for under £300. The 50mm lens does not zoom, but it produces those amazing effects where the background is all blurred.
(edited 11 years ago)
To find a decent SLR (I'm assuming what you mean when you say photography camera) under £300 is pretty tricky, especially if you want one new.

You may find a second hand camera on Ebay or Amazon for a reasonable price.

Your best bet would probably be a NikonD40 or something like that, they're not too pricey, they do the job and they aren't overly complex.
Original post by Rascacielos
I'm hoping to buy a camera soon, with a budget of around £300. I plan on starting a blog to document my year abroad, so will be taking photos of all kinds of things, from food to countryside. I'd like a DSLR but apart from that have no idea. Any suggestions?

Canon 550D + 18-55 mm Kit lens ( For now :tongue:)

You could build on that with a 55-250 mm
Or a nice little 35 mm f 2

Remember before you go into photography and buying you need to learn a lot about it....there is so much to learn and it will all help you in buying camera bodies and lens.

Learning stuff like what is an aperture, what is shutter speed, what is ISO, what is white balance, what f stop means etc etc is crucial.
Reply 13
Original post by SillyEddy
Second lesson in photography: Learn how to edit photos to cover up any inadequacies from the first lesson.

You may want to consider a used or refurbished camera, especially if it's the first thing you're going to be purchasing. Many people buy cameras second hand and they're usually fine provided the seller is reputable.

My camera is the EOS 1000D - The one before the aforementioned 1100D. This camera, at least for Canon, basically invented the "entry level" standard for their range. I don't think they had a more basic, new, camera available at the time. Used ones are sub £200 and they should be perfectly fine to use. However, this camera came out before the generations of video DSLRs were really even invented - So no video functions. If you need video, look to the 500D or 550D, but that will break the budget.

I can't speak for the Nikon range, but from the specs, I'm not a huge fan of their entry level stuff. Their lenses can be a bit cheaper, but they have a strange internal focusing mechanism which means some older lenses (not prehistoric ones, just somewhat old) will require manual focusing. It's not a massive problem, but it's something to consider.

Here are a few pictures for you to look at just to see what an entry-level, 4 year old, camera can offer (It's also a great plug for me):

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

Trust me, old cameras and used ones will be fine. To be perfectly honest, I have been disappointed at how slowly the new Canon cameras seem to have been developing. Many of the new ones are carbon copies (or with very little in the way of advancements) to the older ones.

The trick is knowing how to operate the camera (by experimenting), picking the right lens (by experience) and editing (through practice).

A £200 camera with the 18-55mm kit lens plus a £80 "50mm f/1.8" by Canon (when you're ready. The kit lens will last you some time) would be a fantastic investment for under £300. The 50mm lens does not zoom, but it produces those amazing effects where the background is all blurred.

Thank you very much for taking your time for such a thorough response :smile: Appreciate it!
Those pictures are aesthetically pleasing!

I wanted to ask, for someone who's not the best at technology, how do they gradually get used to using a photography camera? Is it just playing around and practice and do some usually come with a manual? Sorry if my questions are insulting your intelligence :P
Reply 14
I'd suggest an EOS 1100D as its entry level and would allow you to get used to basic SLR photography!
Original post by Kousar
Thank you very much for taking your time for such a thorough response :smile: Appreciate it!
Those pictures are aesthetically pleasing!

I wanted to ask, for someone who's not the best at technology, how do they gradually get used to using a photography camera? Is it just playing around and practice and do some usually come with a manual? Sorry if my questions are insulting your intelligence :P

Just practice, research, etc. I did read the manual a bit (as it tells you how to unlock some features), but then some of these features become redundant when you learn to advance to things like using "manual" mode and shooting in a "RAW" file format instead of JPEGs. The semi-manual and manual modes on a camera and RAW really let you unlock the possibilities and control your effect in-camera as well as afterwards.

You could look up the likes of Jared Polin or Dom Bower on Youtube and see their basic tutorials... Or just search tutorials on Youtube in general.

Just spend the first few weeks playing around with the camera and find out how it works, then just keep refining this. Learn things like aperture, ISO, exposure, etc. Learn about how lens choices affect the quality of image, the brightness, etc.

It is just a long learning project. After several years I'm still learning new skills.
Reply 16
Original post by rjm101

Original post by Cake Faced Kid.

Original post by 747-400

Original post by SillyEddy

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

I came accross this on EBAY guys http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-S2980-Digital-Camera-Case-Inov8-16GB-FujiFilm-Finepix-DSLR-Style-/181046927603?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2a273ce0f3

What do you think, the pricing seems reasonable. I know it's not Canon or Nikon. buuuutttt.....
Reply 17
What about bridge cameras? read some good reviews on them for beginners
Reply 18
Original post by Kousar
I came accross this on EBAY guys http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-S2980-Digital-Camera-Case-Inov8-16GB-FujiFilm-Finepix-DSLR-Style-/181046927603?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item2a273ce0f3

What do you think, the pricing seems reasonable. I know it's not Canon or Nikon. buuuutttt.....

My first 'proper' camera was a Fuji and I loved it so yeah!
Reply 19
Original post by Kousar

Sure buy it but eventually if you do get into photography your just going to buy a canon or nikon DSLR. You want a DSLR with interchangeable lenses that are decent quality. Look at buying second hand canon 1000D, that camera served me well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending