The Student Room Group

FP1: Improper Integrals

I get how to do the process but I just can't seem to understand why some have finite answers and some are undefined. Can anyone help?

E.g. why does the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-2 have an answer but the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-1/2 not?
Original post by Lunu
I get how to do the process but I just can't seem to understand why some have finite answers and some are undefined. Can anyone help?

E.g. why does the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-2 have an answer but the integral of 1 to infinity of x^-1/2 not?

1x2 dx=1x+C\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{x^2} \ dx = -\dfrac{1}{x} + C

So, ignoring the +C, you evaluate between "infinity" and 1 by using the limit as x tends to infinity.

1x dx=2x+C\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \ dx = 2\sqrt{x} + C

doesn't converge when evaluated between 1 and "infinity" (root x doesn't have a limit as x gets massive).

Does that make sense?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lunu

It is a matter of convergence - they all have answers, (per se) its just that as the upper limit tends to infinity some integrals converge, others do not.
It also depends on what restrictions you place on the domain as to whether the integral converges.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm still really confused. Sorry I'm awful at FP1. :/
Reply 4
The answer to the first one is -1/n +1
The answer to the second is 2sqrtx -2

The first one has an answer of 1 and the second one doesn't have an answer. Why is that?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I get on the first one that dividing by infinity make the answer really small so tends towards zero but I don't get the second one
Reply 6
Original post by Lunu
I get on the first one that dividing by infinity make the answer really small so tends towards zero but I don't get the second one

Consider the square root of a massive number. Say: 10000000000000000000000000000000000000.
What can you tell me about its square root.
If I were to make this number bigger, what would happen to its square root - then what if it were infinite?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lunu
I'm still really confused. Sorry I'm awful at FP1. :/

11x2dx=[1x]1\displaystyle\int_{1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{x^{2}} dx = \left[-\dfrac{1}{x}\right]_{1}^{\infty}

Now obviously as x becomes very large, 1x\frac{1}{x} becomes very small. You could think about it as

lima[1x]1a=lima(1a11)\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left[-\dfrac{1}{x}\right]_{1}^{a}= \displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left(-\dfrac{1}{a} - - \dfrac{1}{1}\right)

and that

lima1a0\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \dfrac{1}{a} \to 0

Thus it effectively becomes (011)=1\left(0 - - \dfrac{1}{1}\right) = 1

Now think about the other integral

11xdx=[2x]1\displaystyle\int_{1}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x}} dx = \left[2\sqrt{x} \right]_{1}^{\infty}

Again, think about it as

lima[2x]1a\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left[2\sqrt{x} \right]_{1}^{a}

=lima(2a21)= \displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} \left(2 \sqrt{a} - 2 \sqrt{1} \right)

But

lima2a\displaystyle\lim_{a \to \infty} 2 \sqrt{a} doesn't converge, hence the integral can't be evaluated
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by joostan
Consider the square root of a massive number. Say: 10000000000000000000000000000000000000.
What can you tell me about its square root.
If I were to make this number bigger, what would happen to its square root - then what if it were infinite?

The square root is very small? It converges to a fixed number?
Reply 9
Original post by Lunu
The square root is very small? It converges to a fixed number?

No it doesn't. Why would it? If the square root function was bounded you can just go 1 above the bound and square that numer to get a contradiction.
Reply 10
Original post by james22
No it doesn't. Why would it? If the square root function was bounded you can just go 1 above the bound and square that numer to get a contradiction.

what? :confused:
Original post by Lunu

The point is as x becomes very large x\sqrt{x} doesn't converge to a limit.
Reply 12
so what happens to it?
Reply 13
Original post by Lunu

As far as further maths is concerned, you just have to evaluate the integral as a function of x and then see what happens as x gets larger and larger.

You have the same situation with infinite sums - for example adding up all the numbers of the form 1/n (1/1, 1/2, 1/3 etc) gives you a number that just gets bigger and bigger and doesn't tend to a limit, but if you add up the reciprocals of the square numbers (1/1, 1/4, 1/9 etc) then you do get a finite value.

An integral is just like a great big wibbly-wobbly sum!
Original post by davros

Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey sum? :colone:
Reply 15
Original post by davros
As far as further maths is concerned, you just have to evaluate the integral as a function of x and then see what happens as x gets larger and larger.

You have the same situation with infinite sums - for example adding up all the numbers of the form 1/n (1/1, 1/2, 1/3 etc) gives you a number that just gets bigger and bigger and doesn't tend to a limit, but if you add up the reciprocals of the square numbers (1/1, 1/4, 1/9 etc) then you do get a finite value.

So it's similar to the series stuff in core 2?
Reply 16
Original post by Lunu

Basically, as x gets very large, sqrt(x) also get very large so it will not converge.
Original post by Lunu
so what happens to it?

It continues to get infinitely large - think about the graph y=xy = \sqrt{x} it just increases and tends to infinity as x approaches infinity
Reply 18
Original post by Lunu
So it's similar to the series stuff in core 2?

sort of.

If you've done geometric series then you know that the ratio of terms determines whether or not the infinite sum makes sense.

If you've done the infinite binomial series then you know that it only converges for certain values.

Integrals are basically a generalization of a big sum - imagine working out the area under a curve by approximating it with loads and loads of rectangles, then increasing the number of rectangles to infinity while their width gets smaller and smaller. Sometimes this sum will converge, sometimes it won't.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by james22
Basically, as x gets very large, sqrt(x) also get very large so it will not converge.

I think I understand now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest