The Student Room Group

How to get an A* and A at A Level Physics?

I have currently got 112 in Unit 1 and 110 in Unit 2. I am taking Unit 4 and Unit 5 in June and I am taking my practical exams once I get back to college. My teacher has predicted that I will get around 40-45 UMS for both the practicals overall. With those grades (assuming that is what I will get for the practicals) how many UMS will I need in Unit 4 and Unit 5 for and A* and an A?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I have found my answer now and thought I would put it here for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread in the future.

These are the modules:

AS
Unit 1 - out of 120 UMS
Unit 2 - out of 120 UMS
Unit 3 - out of 60 UMS

A2
Unit 4 - out of 120 UMS
Unit 5 - out of 120 UMS
Unit 6 - out of 60 UMS

If you score 480/600 overall you will achieve an A and if you score 270/300 for A2 as well as 480/600 overall you will achieve an A*.

Thanks,

Kabeer
Reply 2
Yes, Kvohra pretty much covered it. With 222/240 in the bag at the minute you've got 30 UMS clear of the A boundary. If you drop 30 UMS below the A grade (102 UMS in all your remaining exams) you will still get an A. A*s rely on your A2 exams independently and you must score a 90% average, therefore 270/300 UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Above are the marks you need to get to get the grades you want. But to achieve those grades I would recommend doing ALL the past papers. I made cards for every page in my physics textbook with terms I needed to known making sure I understood all the concepts as I went then did every single past exam on the exam boards website and got an A in my January module.
Hope this helped !
Reply 4
Original post by JakeEToth
Above are the marks you need to get to get the grades you want. But to achieve those grades I would recommend doing ALL the past papers. I made cards for every page in my physics textbook with terms I needed to known making sure I understood all the concepts as I went then did every single past exam on the exam boards website and got an A in my January module.
Hope this helped !

Yeah I have done a lot of the exam papers all ready. I don't want to use them all yet because when I take them to test myself I already know the answers
Reply 5
Original post by raiden95
I got 112 in unit1 too:biggrin: just felt like saying lol sorry for being off topic :redface:

Haha I have found Unit 4 and 5 so much harder though! I took Unit 4 in Jan and got 82 UMS which is worrying me whether I can get an A
Reply 6
Original post by kvohra
Haha I have found Unit 4 and 5 so much harder though! I took Unit 4 in Jan and got 82 UMS which is worrying me whether I can get an A

You're still on an A, and even if you get 80 in unit5 you can still get an A if my maths is correct. Provided that you got an A in the ISAs
Good luck:smile: go for an a* :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by raiden95
You're still on an A, and even if you get 80 in unit5 you can still get an A if my maths is correct. Provided that you got an A in the ISAs
Good luck:smile: go for an a* :biggrin:

Cheers mate, I will try!

Quick Reply

Latest