The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8540
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Given the scope of the film covers his childhood, she's probably there for the Smallville part of the story.

Of course :facepalm:

Original post by danny111
14 years old.

By the time she is 15, most of the film will have been shot. Probably all of it actually I don't recall the release date.

But anyway, she is not Kristin Kreuk :love:

She's on a new show but it looks crap.
Original post by Deshi
Of course :facepalm:

She's on a new show but it looks crap.

I know! I saw that on her IMDB site, and I agree it looks rather poor.
Original post by Deshi
I struggled to finish Lady Vengeance, I just wasn't feeling it at all. Oldboy is awesome, I doubt the remake will be as good but I'm looking forward to seeing how they do it.

Which other one's have you seen?

I've been through...

Oldboy
Lady Vengeance
Mr. Vengeance
I Saw The Devil
The Man From Nowhere (this and Oldboy are my favourite)
Memories of Murder (awesome, reminded me of Zodiac)
A Bittersweet Life
The Chaser

I just watched Memories of Murder because of this post. Thank you so much. I had never heard of it, but I like Korean cinema (especially Madeo and I saw the Devil). It's a fine piece of work and you are absolutely right, it is reminiscent of Zodiac. Especially

Spoiler

Great recommendation. Thanks! You have been repped. :five:
(edited 11 years ago)
My god, just saw Cloud Atlas. What do people make of it? I thought it was really clever, although I did need to read up on the plot a bit to keep me on track. Haven't had to engage myself that much into a movie since Inception!
Reply 8544
Original post by Isometrix
My god, just saw Cloud Atlas. What do people make of it? I thought it was really clever, although I did need to read up on the plot a bit to keep me on track. Haven't had to engage myself that much into a movie since Inception!

I've not seen it yet but I believe Ape Gone Insane is a fan of it and I've also heard a friend of mine saying it was a 'brilliant' film despite the mixed reviews. :beard:
Original post by Abiraleft
I've not seen it yet but I believe Ape Gone Insane is a fan of it and I've also heard a friend of mine saying it was a 'brilliant' film despite the mixed reviews. :beard:

Hehe, well if you have a solid 3 hours to kill and are after something that requires your own wits to make sense of then I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's composed of six different storylines occuring at different timelines in history, and it's almost like a puzzle that needs to be put together as you watch it. Incredibly complex, yet a highly rewarding film :yy:.
Reply 8546
Original post by Plato's Trousers
I just watched Memories of Murder because of this post. Thank you so much. I had never heard of it, but I like Korean cinema (especially Madeo and I saw the Devil). It's a fine piece of work and you are absolutely right, it is reminiscent of Zodiac. Especially

Spoiler

Great recommendation. Thanks! You have been repped. :five:

Yeah it's a great film, I watched it a while ago but I've made all my mates want to watch it so I'll be seeing it again sometime soon. I loved the ending as well, I thought the final shot was great.

I haven't watched too much but Korean thrillers/mysteries are the best.

On another note I watched Boy A yesterday, it's been on my to watch list for a long time. Didn't even know of Andrew Garfield when I put on my list so I was surprised to see him appear in the film. Peter Mullan was good as usual. However, I think the similarities with the James Bulger case made it impossible for me to feel any sympathy for the main character, even though that's what the film wants you to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
Yeah it's a great film, I watched it a while ago but I've made all my mates want to watch it so I'll be seeing it again sometime soon. I loved the ending as well, I thought the final shot was great.

I haven't watched too much but Korean thrillers/mysteries are the best.

On another note I watched Boy A yesterday, it's been on my to watch list for a long time. Didn't even know of Andrew Garfield when I put on my list so I was surprised to see him appear in the film. Peter Mullan was good as usual. However, I think the similarities with the James Bulger case made it impossible for me to feel any sympathy for the main character, even though that's what the film wants you to do.

Yes, Andrew Garfield made it big in The Social Network, I guess. But I first saw him in a three part TV crime series called Red Riding which was really excellent.

Thanks for the tip about Boy A. I'll give that a go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8549

It's funny, as when he isn't trying to be 'Matthew McConaughey - Rom-com extraordinaire' he is actually a really good actor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8551
Damn, just the other day I was making a to watch list of his best films of the year blogs.
Reply 8552
RIP Mr. Ebert. I've hastily put together some thoughts on the great man for my blog. Sort of an obituary I guess. :frown:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/roger-ebert-1942-2013/
Once a week I'd find myself reading Ebert's reviews. That's going to be a hard habit to break.
He was a rare critic that you could disagree with him but still completely get his argument.
Reply 8555
Original post by Isometrix

I liked it. At first I wasn't sure how I found the film and there some of aspects of the film that I literally hated, but then I started to like those aspects and before I knew it made up my mind that I liked the film. I also started making references to it in my daily life so I know I liked it. I think I shall watch it again. I needed to read up on the plot bit too :smile:

No!!

That's a very sad loss. Didn't always agree with him (that goes without saying), but he was always thoughtful, witty and incisive.
Anyone seen Evil Dead yet? Brother's seen it and now I am tempted. I love the originals, but I'm a bit of a horror pansy - if I can't laugh all the way through it, I'll find it too scary...

But the there's the post-credits scene. Maybe I'll just wait until someone posts it on youtube...
Test

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending