The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Better
Is it true solomon press increase in difficulty as you go along?????

Just did Solomon Press Paper A.....it was like 6 trig questions....I can't really see the Papers getting harder than this one.

Ironically the very last one was the only one I got stuck on Algebraic division Q8 if anyone CAN HELP!!

I remember a Solomon for C3 asking you to prove by contradiction that log2(3) is irrational so it depends how confident you are with the content really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
C3 seems like a breeze now, and C4 is pretty good apart from the differential equation questions which can be a real bitch.
Original post by brittanna
Yeah, that's fine. They're just more papers really. I guess they will probably have some difficult questions (e.g. a question similar to the one USYcool posted was in one of those as well and I would say that is more difficult than a typical A level question).

Original post by Better
Ah I see, is Zigzag edexcel then? Not sure if I should do or just stick to Solomon Press.

Big update to front page take a look brah

Yeah. They are a level questions, but a bit more sophisticated. In both my c3 and c4 exams I got at least one ZigZag style questions. I posted them once to this thread but I got a warning from the moderators. Go get them. Its only five papers and they are easy to find.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383
Original post by mashmammad
Yeah. They are a level questions, but a bit more sophisticated. In both my c3 and c4 exams I got at least one ZigZag style questions. I posted them once to this thread but I got a warning from the moderators. Go get them. Its only five papers and they are easy to find.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Foolish of me to not have done the Zigzag papers because I though they wouldn't ask questions like that... what did you get in C3/C4??
Reply 384
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow thanks so much for telling me that mate.

I'll rep you!
Reply 385
Original post by QwertyG
Foolish of me to not have done the Zigzag papers because I though they wouldn't ask questions like that... what did you get in C3/C4??

This.

Yeah what score did you get though just wondering....
Original post by Better
Is it true solomon press increase in difficulty as you go along?????

Just did Solomon Press Paper A.....it was like 6 trig questions....I can't really see the Papers getting harder than this one.

Ironically the very last one was the only one I got stuck on Algebraic division Q8 if anyone CAN HELP!!

Use long division mate!
Reply 387
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by QwertyG
C (67 ums) :frown:

Not you Qwetry as long as you do better, heads up past papers in! I got a B. No sweat, Keep Calm and Past Paper On.

I am just wondering about what Masmammad got, and if the ZigZag meant he got like 100UMS or something.
Reply 388
Original post by dan94adibi
Use long division mate!

Tried this, will try again in a few hours -___- currently should be doing Physics questions......

All I know I got to that question an Hour into the Paper was feeling real good then 0_o ?
Reply 389
Use long division mate!

Yeah Dan your right...not so sure about the graph part though :/ 0_o

Can anyone help I've attached the answer
Capture.PNG

oh wow the solomon press markschemes put the topics next to the questions! Awesome this will help me loads !!

Does anyone here get their Papers Marked by Teachers or will that not make a difference
Original post by Better

Capture.PNG

oh wow the solomon press markschemes put the topics next to the questions! Awesome this will help me loads !!

Does anyone here get their Papers Marked by Teachers or will that not make a difference

Well you want to find the point of intersection. The way you do that is if you let the two functions equal each other.

for example:

x2x=0x^2-x=0
I can solve this by saying
x(x1)=0[br]x=0orx=1x(x-1)=0 [br]x=0 or x=1

OR

I can say that
x2=xx^2=x

and then draw the line y=x and the curve y=x^2 to see where they intersect.

And don't wait for your teacher. Just be honest with yourself and mark it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 391
Well you want to find the point of intersection. The way you do that is if you let the two functions equal each other.

for example:

x2x=0x^2-x=0
I can solve this by saying
x(x1)=0[br]x=0orx=1x(x-1)=0 [br]x=0 or x=1

OR

I can say that
x2=xx^2=x

and then draw the line y=x and the curve y=x^2 to see where they intersect.

And don't wait for your teacher. Just be honest with yourself and mark it.

I get you thanks so much mate!!
Reply 392
C4 - Vectors (Any takers?)

MIXED EXERCISE 5K
Q6
find a vector that is perpendicular to both 2i+j-k and i+j-2k

I know its Dot Product but can't see why I'm getting the wrong answer

Not sure why I find Vectors Difficult can anyone give me any tips....If I had got the Vectors question right in C4 in January I would have at least gotten an mid ranged A....so annoying
Original post by Better

MIXED EXERCISE 5K
Q6

Not sure why I find Vectors Difficult can anyone give me any tips....If I had got the Vectors question right in C4 in January I would have at least gotten an mid ranged A....so annoying

I havn't finished going through C4 yet, but I do know that if they are asking to find a vector it can't possibly be a dot product because that doesn't give a vector. Perhaps its a different formula? a.b = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3. Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by raiden95
I havn't finished going through C4 yet, but I do know that if they are asking to find a vector it can't possibly be a dot product because that doesn't give a vector. The formula a.b = a1b1 +a2b2 + a3b3 maybe? Hope that helps :smile:

Yeah I am not too sure what to do. I'll try in a few hours if no one helps.

I'm slowly getting the harder questions right though, seems like in Vectors its not that hard, you just have to keep re-looking at any diagrams you've drawn and your basically giving yourself the answers - I just need to start taking more care.
Original post by Better

Capture.PNG

The module that you really should get your papers marked by a teacher is D1. It's so easy to think that you've answered a question correctly when you haven't used the algorithm properly. When people complain that D1 marking is dodgy, it isn't, it is the casual application of algorithms that is the problem.
Original post by Better

MIXED EXERCISE 5K
Q6

Dot the vector xi+yj+zk with each of the others, making the dot product equal to 0. This gives you 2 equations with 3 unknowns. Choose any value for one of the variables, say x=1, then work out the corresponding values of y and z. The reason that you have a choice is that the vector can have any length you like.

When you say that your answer is wrong, is it a multiple of what you think the answer is? If so, your answer is right.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Dot the vector xi+yj+zk with each of the others, making the dot product equal to 0. This gives you 2 equations with 3 unknowns. Choose any value for one of the variables, say x=1, then work out the corresponding values of y and z. The reason that you have a choice is that the vector can have any length you like.

When you say that your answer is wrong, is it a multiple of what you think the answer is? If so, your answer is right.

But isn't dot product scalar? I'm confused :confused:
Original post by Better

MIXED EXERCISE 5K
Q6

If two vectors are perpendicular to each other they have a right angle between them i.e. 90 degree or pi/2. Cosine is 0 at 90 degree.
therefore some unknown vector of
x,y,z . 2i+j-k =0
and
x, y, z . i+j-2k = 0
Hi everyone, how would you do this...vectors :frown:...part b

Edit: I figured it out, finally!!)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending