The Student Room Group

AS English Literature Revision tips

Hi guys, I've been somewhat neglecting my English lit revision and I think its about time I really began to knuckle down.

Just wondering how are people revising for English Lit?

Im studying Jane Eyre and Yeats' poetry :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by BC95
Hi guys, I've been somewhat neglecting my English lit revision and I think its about time I really began to knuckle down.

Just wondering how are people revising for English Lit?

Im studying Jane Eyre and Yeats' poetry :smile:

I'm studying Jane Eyre too and I've also been neglecting English Lit revision. Not sure how to revise though and I don't think I actually revise effectively. My teacher says people do really well with the revision guides like the Philip Allan and Cliffnotes. Yorknotes I've heard isn't so good. My friend looked at past papers, did mindmaps with main quotes. Reading critical essays and getting some points down to support certain themes/characters since they're worth 5 marks? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Re-read the book at least twice whilst doing annotations. It might sound like a tedious way of revising but it will be useful because I didn't do so well the first time I took the exam because I couldn't remember what happened for half of the novel whic obbbviously made it harder for me.

Mindmaps though. Lots of mindmaps I've heard!! I say 'I've heard' because I actually haven't put much revision into practise. Practise essays really. Annotations. Critical thinking.
Familiarise yourself with different criticism interpretations :smile: hope that helps. Would love to hear what other people's revision techniques are.
Reply 2
Original post by jcao03
I'm studying Jane Eyre too and I've also been neglecting English Lit revision. Not sure how to revise though and I don't think I actually revise effectively. My teacher says people do really well with the revision guides like the Philip Allan and Cliffnotes. Yorknotes I've heard isn't so good. My friend looked at past papers, did mindmaps with main quotes. Reading critical essays and getting some points down to support certain themes/characters since they're worth 5 marks? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Re-read the book at least twice whilst doing annotations. It might sound like a tedious way of revising but it will be useful because I didn't do so well the first time I took the exam because I couldn't remember what happened for half of the novel whic obbbviously made it harder for me.

Mindmaps though. Lots of mindmaps I've heard!! I say 'I've heard' because I actually haven't put much revision into practise. Practise essays really. Annotations. Critical thinking.
Familiarise yourself with different criticism interpretations :smile: hope that helps. Would love to hear what other people's revision techniques are.

ok good advice, so do you recommend doing mind maps for main themes and main characters ? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BC95
ok good advice, so do you recommend doing mind maps for main themes and main characters ? :smile:

Definitely! We did a lot of those for lessons. So mind maps for things like
passion vs reason, male dominance, the red room, feminism, Bildungsroman, Marxist, mr rochester etc. whatever you think are quite dominating themes in the novel. Try to read and take notes of the whole book in general and then put them into mind maps. Try to take time to actually do mind maps as well from memory and not looking at the notes because then you are really testing yourself.
For poetry, my friend got an A by putting all the different themes of poetry into a table and writing what poems linked to that theme!
Reply 4
Original post by jcao03
Definitely! We did a lot of those for lessons. So mind maps for things like
passion vs reason, male dominance, the red room, feminism, Bildungsroman, Marxist, mr rochester etc. whatever you think are quite dominating themes in the novel. Try to read and take notes of the whole book in general and then put them into mind maps. Try to take time to actually do mind maps as well from memory and not looking at the notes because then you are really testing yourself.
For poetry, my friend got an A by putting all the different themes of poetry into a table and writing what poems linked to that theme!

thanks a lot jcao03 that is really helpful :biggrin: is there anywhere I can find a list of set theme's or should we simply try to infer what may come up ?
Reply 5
Original post by BC95
thanks a lot jcao03 that is really helpful :biggrin: is there anywhere I can find a list of set theme's or should we simply try to infer what may come up ?

You can find many themes from online revision guides and the actual revision guides! Obviously they can ask anything in the exam but I don't think they would actually stretch to some really obscure themes that they wouldn't expect students to revise or study for. I think going over notes and kind of putting into your own themes. I don't know if there is a set list but I've come up with a few that are more likely to come up. The Jan 2013 exam had a question about the relationship between Rochester and Jane so ultimately, you could talk about many themes like love, male dominance and power, passion etc.

List of themes (you probably may have already studied a lot of these themes!)
Love
Relationship
Male Dominance
Passion
Reason
Alienation
Power
Love story
Gothic/supernatural
Victorian Era
etc.
Relatives?
Madness

It's hard for me because with English, I guess they could ask you about anything. Obviously within reason but the thought that they could pick any question out of the bag makes me anxious too. Best just revise all the main symbols like the Red Room, the chestnut tree, fire etc. and hope you can direct the question to everything or anything you have studied! I guess what's also good about English is that you can intepret the question your own way so I guess we needn't be too worried about studying for every single theme if you get me

hope that helps!
let me know if you want any more help and stuff!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
The search for identity is also a theme!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of novels, I would say group the quotes into themes and write down the literary technique and then the effect...then on post-it notes write the quote and a one word stimulant (en.g."The cursed creator" alliteration)
and stick them up all around the villa- windows are best...
Reply 8
Original post by Narutopolaris
In terms of novels, I would say group the quotes into themes and write down the literary technique and then the effect...then on post-it notes write the quote and a one word stimulant (en.g."The cursed creator" alliteration)
and stick them up all around the villa- windows are best...

ah sounds like a good idea :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jcao03

is it possible that you can direct me to the past papers for the course, im lost on the new OCR website :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by BC95
is it possible that you can direct me to the past papers for the course, im lost on the new OCR website :smile:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-english-literature-h071-h471/

You should find past papers, specifications, examiners reports on there etc.
Reply 11
Is anyone studying Yeats Poetry and Turn of the Screw!?
Original post by 8ofClubs
Is anyone studying Yeats Poetry and Turn of the Screw!?

im doing yeats- which poem do you think will turn up?
Reply 13
Is anyone doing the struggle for identity? The Feminine Gospels for the poetry section B? I am so stuck and exam is on Friday! :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by barbert
Is anyone doing the struggle for identity? The Feminine Gospels for the poetry section B? I am so stuck and exam is on Friday! :frown:

Im doing this too:s-smilie: not a clue what im going to do to be honest..
Carol ann duffy part is harder, ive been told to just focus on the question and Pee.
Point evidence explain ect... Use the question to structure the answer If you pick the oe comparing poems, stick to 3 and compare in detail, this is better than comparing 5-6 poems but in less detail
My plan for Feminine gospels is this:
intro-addres key terms from question, begin to awnser, focus on question..
para1-agrees with stateement
para2-disagree
para3-discuss question+qutoes to support ect
para4-form+structure, techniques, duffy message
conclusion-agree and dissgree with question
Reply 15
Original post by pollyjet
Im doing this too:s-smilie: not a clue what im going to do to be honest..
Carol ann duffy part is harder, ive been told to just focus on the question and Pee.
Point evidence explain ect... Use the question to structure the answer If you pick the oe comparing poems, stick to 3 and compare in detail, this is better than comparing 5-6 poems but in less detail
My plan for Feminine gospels is this:
intro-addres key terms from question, begin to awnser, focus on question..
para1-agrees with stateement
para2-disagree
para3-discuss question+qutoes to support ect
para4-form+structure, techniques, duffy message
conclusion-agree and dissgree with question

Thank you so much!! This has really helped! How are you gonna revise for it just learn wider reading quotes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending