The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry question help please

Eurig is asked to measure the rate of reaction of calcium carbonate with dilute hydrochloric
acid. He is given 1.50g of the carbonate and 10.0cm3 of acid of concentration 2.00moldm–3.

CaCO3(s) + 2HCl(aq) CaCl2(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)

Calculate the volume of carbon dioxide gas that would be produced at 25°C.
(1mole of carbon dioxide occupies 24dm3 at 25 °C.)

I know the answers are Moles CO2 = 0.010 and Volume = 0.240 dm3but I've no idea how or why. Someone please explain :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by squirrels
Eurig is asked to measure the rate of reaction of calcium carbonate with dilute hydrochloric
acid. He is given 1.50g of the carbonate and 10.0cm3 of acid of concentration 2.00moldm–3.

I know the answers are Moles CO2 = 0.010 and Volume = 0.240 dm3but I've no idea how or why. Someone please explain :confused:

Ok what have you tried so far? and have you been able to calculate the number of moles of CO2 from that?
Reply 2
Original post by SDavis123
Ok what have you tried so far? and have you been able to calculate the number of moles of CO2 from that?

No, because to calculate the number of moles I need the concentration of CO2 but I only have the volume..(I think)
Reply 3
Original post by squirrels

You can calculate the number of moles of CO2 by calculating first the number of moles of the acid (use n=CV formula).

Then once you have this, you notice that the ratio of HCl moles to the number of CO2 moles is 2:1... so divide your first answer by 2.

Then you can calculate the volume of CO2 gas by using the equation V = 24n (this is in dm^3) and this is under standard conditions, which is what is stated.
Reply 4
Original post by Lunch_Box
You can calculate the number of moles of CO2 by calculating first the number of moles of the acid (use n=CV formula).

Then once you have this, you notice that the ratio of HCl moles to the number of CO2 moles is 2:1... so divide your first answer by 2.

Then you can calculate the volume of CO2 gas by using the equation V = 24n (this is in dm^3) and this is under standard conditions, which is what is stated.

Everything makes sense now, thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lunch_Box

Ah this is where I was getting lost, I do AQA and that's not part of our spec

Quick Reply

Latest