The Student Room Group

Ravensbourne Foundation - How much art?

I've been accepted on to the Ravensbourne Foundation (design and media) course and am just wondering how much 'art' is involved?

I know it is very digital based but is there still drawing/painting etc included?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by oopsadaisie
I've been accepted on to the Ravensbourne Foundation (design and media) course and am just wondering how much 'art' is involved?

I know it is very digital based but is there still drawing/painting etc included?

Thanks!

i asked about this in my interview - although it is digital based - they say the course is more ideas-lead and you choose whatever medium you think will be best, which can include paint + drawing, but it seems that people don't use the paint much

i'd like to know about life drawing at rave though
Reply 2
Original post by drwhofreak
i asked about this in my interview - although it is digital based - they say the course is more ideas-lead and you choose whatever medium you think will be best, which can include paint + drawing, but it seems that people don't use the paint much

i'd like to know about life drawing at rave though

Thank you for replying!

I asked about the life drawing in my interview and he said that they used to do it every week but now it's almost non-existant :/ But that if enough people are interested they will get someone to come in.
Reply 3
Hi, I'm currently at Ravensbourne on the foundation (art and media) I've been here since 2012 September, I also completed the pre foundation course in 2011-2012. In all of the foundation courses at Ravensbourne there is a range of material usage, life drawing and sketchbook work. Depending on what pathway you choose at the end of the rotation stage you will use a wide variety of materials and equipment that will relate to your chosen subject. (Eg, Architecture- digital software, cardboard and plastics to make models, and sketching materials to draw designs in your personal sketchbook. It depends on what you mean by 'art' , ravensbourne do not do fine art subjects however, as a foundation student you have to be independent and show your personal way of working; if that includes graphic sketches in paint? So be it. Digital software is used a lot throughout the course, but sketches and 3D texture is also very important.
Reply 4
Original post by Issey Rider
Hi, I'm currently at Ravensbourne on the foundation (art and media)

Hi Issey, do you mind giving us some more details about the course and (if you know) how its different to art foundations elsewhere? and what you feel that ravensbourne is really good at (and not so good at)

what pathway did you choose? i'm interested in finding out more about the graphic design/illustration pathway, as i'd love to be a comic artist
Reply 5
Original post by Issey Rider
Hi, I'm currently at Ravensbourne on the foundation (art and media) I've been here since 2012 September, I also completed the pre foundation course in 2011-2012. In all of the foundation courses at Ravensbourne there is a range of material usage, life drawing and sketchbook work. Depending on what pathway you choose at the end of the rotation stage you will use a wide variety of materials and equipment that will relate to your chosen subject. (Eg, Architecture- digital software, cardboard and plastics to make models, and sketching materials to draw designs in your personal sketchbook. It depends on what you mean by 'art' , ravensbourne do not do fine art subjects however, as a foundation student you have to be independent and show your personal way of working; if that includes graphic sketches in paint? So be it. Digital software is used a lot throughout the course, but sketches and 3D texture is also very important.

Hi! I'm thinking of applying to the Ravensbourne pre-foundation. Does it's matter that i'm 17 years old? And I was wondering if the pre-foundation at Ravensbourne counts as a BTeC Level 3 Extended diploma? I was also wonderingly if the teaching/facilities are any good? Thank you!!
Original post by oopsadaisie

Thanks!

Hey oopsadaisie,

Congratulations on being accepted. I actually did the Art and Design Foundation last year and I can tell you that even though they are advertised as all digital there is still a lot of art involved. You will be working in sketchbooks and they look to see sketches. If you are illustrative with your work they won't mind you illustrating your final pieces and than refining it on the computer. If you wanted to paint and draw they will let you. It's an amazing year and is really filled with being experimental and finding your style.

I hope this helped,

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Row:h:
Original post by mayakr
Hi! I'm thinking of applying to the Ravensbourne pre-foundation. Does it's matter that i'm 17 years old? And I was wondering if the pre-foundation at Ravensbourne counts as a BTeC Level 3 Extended diploma? I was also wonderingly if the teaching/facilities are any good? Thank you!!

Hi mayakr,

It doesn't matter that you are 17 it will still be free for you. The only thing is that when you go to do the foundation the year after you will have to pay because you will be overage. You might be able to get funding towards it. I would recommend emailing or calling the student services team at Ravensboune for when you go on to do your foundation year. This will apply no matter where you chose to do your foundation year.

From my knowledge after you finish pre foundation and foundation you get a level 3 foundation diploma but if you contact student services they will be able to advise you further.

The facilities available at Ravensbourne are very good. You will have access to the CLR (Central Loan Resources, where you can book out equipment / laptop, camera, lights, sewing machine, etc), the Materials library, studio space, and the prototyping labs which are filled with 3D printers, laser cutters, embroidery machines, rise printer, and other equipment.

Teaching quality is also really good and because you get taught from people who are working in the industry alongside teaching you learn from their experiences and get to see their work as well as being taught by them.

For information about the pre foundation course Click ME!!
Student Services information ---> Click Here

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask,

Row:h:

Quick Reply

Latest