The Student Room Group

Problems with student finance 2013/14

Hey,

I recently applied for my student loans and grants etc and I've ran into some problems with it. I'd expected to get the full amount available, but this isn't what happened. The amount I got "quoted" was a grand less than expected which is quite a big difference, especially when it comes to living etc. I contacted student finance twice and got told to email the formal appeals. The text below is what I sent to them explaining everything.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

I have recently applied for student finance and have received the letter detailing my student finance breakdown. However, the total amount that would be paid to me of £6,160 is not what I expected. This is made up of a £2,806 maintenance loan and a £3,354 maintenance grant. I was under the impression that the total amount I would get would be £7,177. My total household income is £21,378, my parents get joint child tax credit which is paid to my mother and also child benefit is paid to my mother, my younger sister also lives at home. On all the websites I have been on, including the government student finance calculator and from information given by all the universities I have visited, I have been informed that my total loan would be £7,177. This would be made up of a £3,823 maintenance loan and a £3,354 maintenance grant.

I am aware that the maximum loan awarded is £5,500 for living away from home but outside London and less the £1,677 replaced by the maintenance grant gives a loan of £3,823. I cannot understand how the figure I have been awarded of £2,806 has been worked out.

Reply 1
Did you remember to put on the form that you will be living away from home whilst at university
Reply 2
Original post by jheywood
Did you remember to put on the form that you will be living away from home whilst at university

he must have otherwise he would not receive over 4k
Don't forget that when you send off the application, the amount shown on screen isn't the amount you'll get - it's an ESTIMATE.

They cannot 100% say what you'll get until evidence has been submitted and checked manually.
Reply 4

I've checked my application and I have actually wrote that I'd be living with my parents. But this isn't true now, so I phoned up customer services and they said to send a letter in and they would change my application. Thanks for helping! :biggrin:

Original post by yaboy
he must have otherwise he would not receive over 4k

Your comments got me confused, why would this be so? :confused:
Reply 5
Okay this a separate question (but still in relation to this matter), the guy told me on the phone to send a letter. But when I went onto the student finance site and onto my application it gave me the option to make changes to my application and resubmit it. So I went onto it and I changed the section to say I'd be living away form home in term 1, 2 and 3. This brought my Estimates up to what I had expected them to be. So I submitted this.

What would happen now? Would they look at this one and send me out forms for this estimate or would they contact me to ask why I'd changed it? Any help appreciated, thanks again. :colondollar:
Original post by Shelby95
Okay this a separate question (but still in relation to this matter), the guy told me on the phone to send a letter. But when I went onto the student finance site and onto my application it gave me the option to make changes to my application and resubmit it. So I went onto it and I changed the section to say I'd be living away form home in term 1, 2 and 3. This brought my Estimates up to what I had expected them to be. So I submitted this.

What would happen now? Would they look at this one and send me out forms for this estimate or would they contact me to ask why I'd changed it? Any help appreciated, thanks again. :colondollar:

They will most likely just re-assess it and then send you out a new entitlement to cover the change. :smile: At least it is sorted now!
Reply 7

I am pretty sure they would just send out another confirmation assuming you haven't signed anything yet. However if you don't receive something in a week or the wrong figures turn up in the post when they ask you to sign, I would ring up student finance again.
Reply 8
Original post by Knalchemist
They will most likely just re-assess it and then send you out a new entitlement to cover the change. :smile: At least it is sorted now!

I am pretty sure they would just send out another confirmation assuming you haven't signed anything yet. However if you don't receive something in a week or the wrong figures turn up in the post when they ask you to sign, I would ring up student finance again.

Thanks guys! I'm so glad this can be sorted out quickly ^__^ I'm even more glad that I checked online myself first before writing the letter like customer services said ^__^
Reply 9
Thanks guys! I'm so glad this can be sorted out quickly ^__^ I'm even more glad that I checked online myself first before writing the letter like customer services said ^__^

Your welcome and if you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask. If you want you can private message me and I will reply as soon as I come on.

Quick Reply