The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

The lie about Imperial College London

Disclaimer: This is not one of those 'my university is better than yours' kind of thread. There are many great universities which allow students to have a great social life. I am only making this because Imperial is quite unfairly seen as one of the universities which does not offer any means of a social life for students!

Hello everyone,

I have often heard people trying to decide what university to attend. Quite often it’s between Imperial and another university, and one of the things I almost always year is the ‘lack of social life’ at Imperial. Personally, doing research will show that one of the main reasons to attend Imperial is for the social life!
Read the below review for a laugh! It is a hilarious rant at Imperial.

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/showReviewDetail.html?rid=21687&z=3813

Now i would not mind this if it were a honest reflection, but it truly is not!
It actually is a total lie!

Imperial –like any other university- has flaws. However, if you’re banking on turning it down because of social life, you might want to read and watch the information below, to be able to make a more informed decision, away from the evident bias from our arch enemies!

"Imperial has an inept social life for students"

[video="youtube;xAW85UFNBcQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAW85UFNBcQ[/video]

Imperial actually has one of the largest student unions in the entire country, and around 300 different clubs. Why feel down about not having a student who does arts or humanities when you have clubs dedicated to that?

https://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/activities

Social-Life at Imperial is superb from what I have heard, and seen.

Imperial college London have one of the largest student unions a proper one.

In addition, Imperial has over 300 societies from skydiving to water diving. From football to tennis. From philosophy to poetry. These are rigorous well run societies with chances to go abroad, ect.

Take a look for yourself: https://www.imperialcollegeunion.org/activities

To add to this, Imperial College London were voted for having one of the best first year accommodations in the country.

The 'bad social life' myth probably comes from the fact there are quite a few more boys than girls at imperial(although it is close to even for medicine), or that less probably engage in drinking alcohol, getting intoxicated, and dancing awkwardly But you're in London. In addition, i am sure imperial has Bars (i have seen them) although it is not for me.

ETHOS

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/sports/facilities/ethos/ethosfacilities

Ethos is an absolutely fantastic Gym area at Imperial. Here are the main things it has.

Brand new state of the art, expansive Gym:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/sports/facilities/ethos/ethosfacilities/energiagym

Large swimming pool:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/sports/facilities/ethos/ethosfacilities/poolandspa

The cost for using a swimming pool and a state of the art gym for six years is £30. That is all you pay as a 6 year MBBS student.

There are however, other services at ethos which may have an additional fee:

The brand-new, state-of-the-art Energia fitness gym

A 25 meter deck-level swimming pool

A sauna, steam room and spa pool

An air-conditioned exercise studio with semi-sprung flooring

Three squash courts

Five-badminton court sports hall

9 metre climbing wall

Sports therapy treatment rooms

Licensed cafe bar

"Imperial is a science University, i want to be with students who do Humanities"

Imperial College Horizons

Aside from the fact Imperial College has a business school, you get a very unique opportunity to study a broad range of subjects along-side your degree at Imperial. It really is fantastic.

With the Imperial College Horizons course, you can participate in http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/horizons

This gives you the chance to take a language, or a humanities , or a business or humanities with science course alongside your degree. This really allows you to be much more well rounded and participate in your other areas of interest.

If you feel down about having no students doing music, we have a HUGE museum here dedicated to that. There's even a natural history museum and a science museum!

Natural History Museum

Victoria and Albert museum

Royal Albert Hall (on the doorstep of imperial, practically next to one of the accommodation halls)

All of the above are very close to imperial, maybe 5-10 minutes away from the main Campus.

“It’s in London”

Despite the cost, surely that is a positive? You have access to the worlds best landmarks from buckingham palace, the london zoo, the london eye, all of the worlds best museums, the best restuarants, hyde park, wimbeldon, wembley, ect…

Imperial also give a scholarship to students with a household income of up to 60,001 pounds. Having a total household income of 50,000 and below earns you a grant of 2400 pounds a year!

Imperial College London financial support package:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/studentfinance/prospectiveugstudents/supportpackage

In addition, things to do in London: http://www.visitlondon.com/

Arsenal FC = 25 minutes from Imperial (South Kensington Campus)

Chelsea FC = 9 Minutes from Imperial (South Kensington Campus)

"Imperial students are snobs"

You get 'snobs' wherever you go. The students here , on the whole, are no more different then any other cohort. Literally, two students walked for around half an hour just to help me find where the tour was for that day.

Here is a video made by students from imperial on most courses offered in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=ECEAEA1FA3F3780EAB

"There are no girls"

I saw plenty of girls on some courses. Besides, are you there to akwardly hunt girls like a sole male lion does, roaming the savanna to look for mates, or are you here to get a degree?

Something quite noteworthy is the awards and recognition being given to women at imperial, and conferences held for such purposes to encourage more women. For medicine, biology, ect , the ratio is pretty even. Engineering at any university has a skew towards males.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What's the percentage of private school students there/do you know why there are so many, allegedly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by spanish_sahara
What's the percentage of private school students there/do you know why there are so many, allegedly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost 4/10 (according to Felix) but apparently Imperial performs comapratively to UCL and much better than Oxbridge in terms of that.
Reply 3
Original post by eater_of_pies
Almost 4/10 (according to Felix) but apparently Imperial performs comapratively to UCL and much better than Oxbridge in terms of that.

That's because you can get rich thick ***** doing arts degrees at Oxbridge.

How many toffs study sciences?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer and have never attended a private school(my schools head was actually fired as the school came below target!). Attending one would make no difference. I don't know the numbers, a few posters here seem to have figures in mind. I'd just say that private school students maybe get better support or advise ? To be fair, if you wan to excel you can do it anywhere. You just need to plan, work hard, and persist wherever you are.
Reply 5
Original post by eater_of_pies

Indeed
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you explain the significance of this for me? I went to school in the US, so the English system is confusing to me.
Reply 7
Original post by madcatmk3
Can you explain the significance of this for me? I went to school in the US, so the English system is confusing to me.

There is no significance to private school students attending with regards to how imperial select. It's all based on merit. Private school students on average tend to get much better results, and more information and coaching. That's why they get into the more selective universities. That is available anywhere bar the few terrible secondary schools.

As long as you have good grades, a good overall application, ect you'll have a chance.

No UK university selects students based on what secondary they went to either.
Original post by dbkey

Doesn't Imperial still rank about 4th in the % of private school students? After Cambridge, Durham and Oxford I believe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dbkey

this is nonsense. Rich - yes, ***** - yes, but they are not thick. Oxbridge have proper entrance requirements, you can't just buy or nepotise your way in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Doesn't Imperial still rank about 4th in the % of private school students? After Cambridge, Durham and Oxford I believe.

Probably but you don't get rich ***** doing sciences on the whole.

They may be public school educated but I'm not talking of the aristocratic lot, such as the offspring of the heads of state, such as the royal family.

For example how many old etonians / westminster / st. paul's would you find at Imperial as opposed to Oxbridge? Probably a factor of 10 to 1.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dbkey
Probably but you don't get rich ***** doing sciences on the whole.

They may be public school educated but I'm not talking of the aristocratic lot, such as the offspring of the heads of state, such as the royal family.

For example how many old etonians / westminster / st. paul's would you find at Imperial as opposed to Oxbridge? Probably a factor of 10 to 1.

OK, well, there aren't really a lot of royals or genuine aristocrats at Oxford either. I think you'll find Imperial has pretty similar levels of 'poshness' to Oxbridge. I suspect there are probably quite a lot of people from wealthy backgrounds doing sciences at Imperial, not all well-off kids are humanity-drones.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
this is nonsense. Rich - yes, ***** - yes, but they are not thick. Oxbridge have proper entrance requirements, you can't just buy or nepotise your way in.

Can't you?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1388764/The-price-of-an-Oxford-degree.html

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/price-of-pembroke-scandal-is-autonomy/168068.article
Reply 13
OK, well, there aren't really a lot of royals or genuine aristocrats at Oxford either. I think you'll find Imperial has pretty similar levels of 'poshness' to Oxbridge. I suspect there are probably quite a lot of people from wealthy backgrounds doing sciences at Imperial, not all well-off kids are humanity-drones.

Certainly no Bullingdon clubs at Imperial.
Original post by dbkey
Certainly no Bullingdon clubs at Imperial.

Lol, you realise that the Bulls are about, what, 10 people out of 21,000??

Are you seriously proposing there are no rich people at Imperial?? I know of some for sure, so you are on thin ice.
Reply 15

Are you seriously proposing there are no rich people at Imperial?? I know of some for sure, so you are on thin ice.

Of course there are rich people at Imperial, as there are at probably any university.

There might be only 10 out of 21000 but they certainly create enough publicity!

Besides, what is the reason for their existence?

No you can't...with the exception of the royal family, you still need to meet the standard exam grades.

And contrary to what you might think, the above scenario is rare. The vast majority of arts applicants (there are obviously thousands) go through UCAS and offer no incentives to the University whatsoever, nor have contact with the dons.

So the odd Prince excepted, the vast majority of arts students get in on their own merits with applications above board.
Original post by curiousquest
There might be only 10 out of 21000 but they certainly create enough publicity!

Besides, what is the reason for their existence?

Cliqueishness? A desire to be a member of a snobbish and select elite? I guess the reasons are similar to those that govern people trying to get into very superior private members clubs or to be part of a social circle one aspires to. The sad thing is that those who really want to be in such groups and don't just assume they will be selected by right are kind of unlikely to make it into them.
Reply 19
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
No you can't...with the exception of the royal family, you still need to meet the standard exam grades.

And contrary to what you might think, the above scenario is rare. The vast majority of arts applicants (there are obviously thousands) go through UCAS and offer no incentives to the University whatsoever, nor have contact with the dons.

So the odd Prince excepted, the vast majority of arts students get in on their own merits with applications above board.

The "odd prince" as has been revealed by the media.

Doubtless there are others (I personally some) who got in through the back door.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending