The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meurge
I was interviewed at Cambridge, UCL and Barts and rejected by Southampton. Ah well hopefully next year will be better...

That is completely mad. Thats 3 very very prestigious universities there!

You'll definitely get a place next year! Are you going to do the BMAT again?
Reply 81
Original post by annaridgway95
Ahh ok... I had interviews at Newcastle and Leeds, straight rejections from Sheffield and Nottingham :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh well, I'm sure this time next year we'll be seeing unconditional offers on UCAS
Reply 82
Original post by ameelia22
That is completely mad. Thats 3 very very prestigious universities there!

You'll definitely get a place next year! Are you going to do the BMAT again?

yh the dreaded BMAT all over again ...... can't wait
Reply 83
Good luck everyone, you can do it!
Your applications will be much stronger for taking a gap year as you now have experience in the application process, will have achieved grades, and know what to expect!

I was in the exact same position as you all last year and a year later I've managed to get an unconditional from my first choice and an offer to spare :biggrin:

I have a little bit of advice for you all - get feedback from the universities as soon as possible so you know what to work on, some are more helpful than others in this!
-prepare really well for admissions tests (yes the UKCAT is supposed to be an aptitude test, but my score went up by over 300 with a little more effort :colondollar:)
-whatever work you do (even if you don't manage to get anything healthcare related), make sure you can relate it to making you a better doctor. This year I had several jobs: I worked in a cafe, as a recorder teacher for children, and as a lifeguard - I just linked it to responsibility, working under pressure and people skills. Dealing with customers made me so much more confident, I'm sure it helped with my interview technique!
-and apply to your strengths! Don't waste choices on the 'off chance'

If you have any questions I want to help!
Reply 84
Original post by tiptoeboo
Your applications will be much stronger for taking a gap year as you now have experience in the application process, will have achieved grades, and know what to expect!

I was in the exact same position as you all last year and a year later I've managed to get an unconditional from my first choice and an offer to spare :biggrin:

I have a little bit of advice for you all - get feedback from the universities as soon as possible so you know what to work on, some are more helpful than others in this!
-prepare really well for admissions tests (yes the UKCAT is supposed to be an aptitude test, but my score went up by over 300 with a little more effort :colondollar:)
-whatever work you do (even if you don't manage to get anything healthcare related), make sure you can relate it to making you a better doctor. This year I had several jobs: I worked in a cafe, as a recorder teacher for children, and as a lifeguard - I just linked it to responsibility, working under pressure and people skills. Dealing with customers made me so much more confident, I'm sure it helped with my interview technique!

congrats on your offers :smile: where were they from ?
Reply 85
Original post by meurge
congrats on your offers :smile: where were they from ?

Edinburgh and St Andrews :smile:
Reply 86
Just sent off my first HCA job application form for a job on the general surgery ward starting in August !! Would be a perfect job if I got it as then I would have a month of experience to talk about in my ps and its at a hospital near my house :smile: hoping I get an interveiw.. Would be nice to try and improve the dismal success rate of my applications this year !!

Firstly, thank you for posting! It makes it all the better when we've got real life cases like yours to motivate us :smile:

You said you got an offer from St Andrews - are you a scottish or English applicant? (If English, did you have an A* at A-level, and do you think it helped you with your other university applications?)
Reply 88
Firstly, thank you for posting! It makes it all the better when we've got real life cases like yours to motivate us :smile:

You said you got an offer from St Andrews - are you a scottish or English applicant? (If English, did you have an A* at A-level, and do you think it helped you with your other university applications?)

I'm English (and applied for the Scottish route), and I got AAAA at A Level :smile:
I emailed St Andrews to ask before applying if it was a problem not having any A*s and they said that as I have achieved grades rather than predicted I would still be competitive :biggrin:

I had interviews for Sheffield and Newcastle so it appears that no A*s for them isn't a real problem. Edinburgh measure A and A* grades equally if you look through their admissions policy, so also not a problem! To be honest, as long as you meet their minimum academic grades (usually AAA) most medical schools don't seem to really care what you get above that!
Last year I avoided the bmat because I wasn't keen on the whole 'apply before you sit the exam'. Instead I did the ukcat (got fairly average) and applied to unis that accepted ukcat and those that didn't require either ukcat or bmat. But this time round I'm considering it but still nervous about it, because if you mess up thats one uni option gone - kind of risky for a reapplicant. But at the same time I don't want to limit myself to unis that don't require bmat... any advice? Reckon I should go for it?
Reply 90
Original post by Bumble333
Just sent off my first HCA job application form for a job on the general surgery ward starting in August !! Would be a perfect job if I got it as then I would have a month of experience to talk about in my ps and its at a hospital near my house :smile: hoping I get an interveiw.. Would be nice to try and improve the dismal success rate of my applications this year !!

Good choice! You should apply to more than one job though. I applied to a good 30 jobs and only got about 5 replies, 1 of then being an interview.
Original post by Eager Beaver
Last year I avoided the bmat because I wasn't keen on the whole 'apply before you sit the exam'. Instead I did the ukcat (got fairly average) and applied to unis that accepted ukcat and those that didn't require either ukcat or bmat. But this time round I'm considering it but still nervous about it, because if you mess up thats one uni option gone - kind of risky for a reapplicant. But at the same time I don't want to limit myself to unis that don't require bmat... any advice? Reckon I should go for it?

I'd sit your UKCAT early, so before you even get round to sending off your UCAS you get an idea of what your options are. That's what I did this year, I got a good UKCAT score of 715. So then I knew I could milk my UKCAT score, and didn't need to do the BMAT, so I didn't, as I didn't exactly have a burning desire to go to any of the BMAT unis. SO my advice would be, do the UKCAT early, see how you do. Then go from there, also if there is a BMAT uni that you REALLY REALLY want to go too, then do the BMAT. Hope this helps.
Reply 92
Original post by Toppy
Good choice! You should apply to more than one job though. I applied to a good 30 jobs and only got about 5 replies, 1 of then being an interview.

Yeah Im going to apply to every HCA job that comes up in my area till I get one !! Which ward are you working on, do you enjoy it ?
Original post by Nandos94
I'd sit your UKCAT early, so before you even get round to sending off your UCAS you get an idea of what your options are. That's what I did this year, I got a good UKCAT score of 715. So then I knew I could milk my UKCAT score, and didn't need to do the BMAT, so I didn't, as I didn't exactly have a burning desire to go to any of the BMAT unis. SO my advice would be, do the UKCAT early, see how you do. Then go from there, also if there is a BMAT uni that you REALLY REALLY want to go too, then do the BMAT. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will book the ukcat early now :smile: and wow! You got a really good score, any tips? What are your views on ukcat courses? I got 640 this year so it limited me. I would be really happy if I were to get around 700 this time though!
Original post by Eager Beaver
Thanks for the advice, I think I will book the ukcat early now :smile: and wow! You got a really good score, any tips? What are your views on ukcat courses? I got 640 this year so it limited me. I would be really happy if I were to get around 700 this time though!

When I say early, I took mine on the 31st of August, so basically take it before you start thinking about UCAS, as then you know what your option are. I got 662.5 last time, and all I did differently this time is use two books (600Q and the succeeding in the UKCAT book), I also used various free resources online (getintomedicine + medify). I started about two weeks before my exam, and did a couple of hours each day for the first week, and then a few more hours in the second week. Courses, I've never used them, I didn't want to really spend the amount of money on them, a few people think they're fab, I'm more sceptical.
I'm English (and applied for the Scottish route), and I got AAAA at A Level :smile:
I emailed St Andrews to ask before applying if it was a problem not having any A*s and they said that as I have achieved grades rather than predicted I would still be competitive :biggrin:

I had interviews for Sheffield and Newcastle so it appears that no A*s for them isn't a real problem. Edinburgh measure A and A* grades equally if you look through their admissions policy, so also not a problem! To be honest, as long as you meet their minimum academic grades (usually AAA) most medical schools don't seem to really care what you get above that!

Woh. I swear there are like only 10 places for English applicants at St Andrews?! That's bloody brilliant!! Edinburgh are big on EC's though right? I swear all the big ass major-city scottish universities are notoriously difficult to gain entry too?

The only one I think I'd manage a fine shot at is Glasgow, and that's only providing I make the UKCAT cut off! Need to see Glasgow in person me thinks, as I hear it's a love-it-or-hate-it city?

Original post by Toppy

As above person said, which ward where you on / how did you find it?

I've applied to 8 jobs this week. Mostly HCA's but also a couple of lab assistants, A&E receptionist, admin work etc - what do you think? (Everyone is going to say, it's about what you gain from it, reflect on in your PS etc, but would you personally have gone for them?)

And when you say you got 5 replies, 1 being an interview, what where the other 4?
Reply 96
Original post by Toppy

Goodness! Sounds like it's harder to get a HCA post than to get an offer for medicine! Are you still working as a HCA now? How much/often did you work in a week?

I've applied to 8 jobs this week. Mostly HCA's but also a couple of lab assistants, A&E receptionist, admin work etc - what do you think? (Everyone is going to say, it's about what you gain from it, reflect on in your PS etc, but would you personally have gone for them?)

And when you say you got 5 replies, 1 being an interview, what where the other 4?

I'm finding it difficult just to find vacancies. Of the 5 or so listed in my area only 2 don't require any previous experience of working in the NHS/healthcare environment :colonhash:
Original post by kimsiclez
Goodness! Sounds like it's harder to get a HCA post than to get an offer for medicine! Are you still working as a HCA now? How much/often did you work in a week?

I'm finding it difficult just to find vacancies. Of the 5 or so listed in my area only 2 don't require any previous experience of working in the NHS/healthcare environment :colonhash:

Might be worth asking any doctors, managers or nurses you worked with to put in a good word.
Reply 98
Original post by Bumble333
Yeah Im going to apply to every HCA job that comes up in my area till I get one !! Which ward are you working on, do you enjoy it ?

I'm working on an Outpatient ward which isn't really very representative of other parts of a hospital. I like it a lot but I'm looking to get some bank work done - either on weekends or dropping a few days/the whole full time job - to see other parts.

I originally found the job on NHS jobs. You will notice when applying there that there are only a few boxes to put your qualifications in (it's probably maximum 10 or something?) so, in retrospect, I would have put my worst grades first as I think my ward manager worked out I wasn't going to be staying long. Luckily she decided that was worth the risk anyway. That could be why I had so few interviews.

To Ameelia, as you say, any job is good! But if you got offers from all of them I would go for HCAs over any of the others. Being a receptionist would probably be good experience but if, like me, you are attracted to the practical side of medicine, you might be a bit disappointed and you may be working there for 6/7 months. I don't think it will let down your application but it could be a less enjoyable gap year for you. This is how I feel about working in Outpatients really. I walk past other wards and feel quite jealous sometimes. It's one of the reasons I often offer to porter people/notes around as I can see the rest of the hospital.

Actually though, I quite enjoy the tiny amount of (sort of) lab work I do (mostly urinalysis). It breaks up the day a bit and gives me time to relax. It's busy but quite social and rewarding.

The other replies I got were rejections! The others rejected me I suppose but I never actually got an email or anything. I think there's a policy where you can assume you were rejected after you didn't get a reply for x days.

Original post by kimsiclez

It was definitely harder than I expected and, as you can see above, I was quite lucky I think. To give an idea of competition, the ward sister told me when they advertise for HCA posts they typically get ~100 applications in 48 hours and have to take down the advert. They interview about 8 people. They were originally going to employ 2 people who applied to the advert I applied to but changed their mind to employ just one. Competition is strong but, bear in mind, if you can deal with medicine interviews, you can deal with these. The interview was incredibly friendly and chatty. Also, have an answer prepared in case they ask about your plans in the future. They didn't actually ask me but I hear it's quite a common question.

I wouldn't apply to a job just to boost your PS. I got a place with just a mention in it that I was "looking for work in the NHS" so my medical school isn't even aware I'm working there. I'd do the job because you enjoy it and if you can mention it in your PS then great!

Good luck though! The jobs are definitely there. It may be easier outside the NHS in a private care home. I did a bit of volunteering at one before starting as an HCA and they were desperate for people but very few people seemed to come from the job centre.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Helloworld_95
Might be worth asking any doctors, managers or nurses you worked with to put in a good word.

Haha well I have the opposite problem. I don't have any previous healthcare experience! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending