The Student Room Group

My best option

After wasting time at school, I have decided that infact I want to go to Uni. Preferably to do Civil Engineering. Right now, I have the grades to go to college and do a HNC/HND or I could just go to college and sit some more Highers. I dont know what my best option is and im afraid that universities dont value a HNC/D as much as they would value a student with appropriate Highers coming out of school.

What would you say is my best option and am I really at a disadvantage?
Reply 1
Original post by Enf8
After wasting time at school, I have decided that infact I want to go to Uni. Preferably to do Civil Engineering. Right now, I have the grades to go to college and do a HNC/HND or I could just go to college and sit some more Highers. I dont know what my best option is and im afraid that universities dont value a HNC/D as much as they would value a student with appropriate Highers coming out of school.

What would you say is my best option and am I really at a disadvantage?

yes if you're going to college then definitely do Highers. They are more respected - unless you're not going to university and are doing something vocational - in which case a HNC would be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by foxtrott
yes if you're going to college then definitely do Highers. They are more respected - unless you're not going to university and are doing something vocational - in which case a HNC would be fine.

So it would be better for me to go to college and sit 4 highers compared to focusing on the specific subject? This isnt going to be any fun:frown:
Original post by Enf8
So it would be better for me to go to college and sit 4 highers compared to focusing on the specific subject? This isnt going to be any fun:frown:

Hey. My bro just finished his hnd in civil engineering... and he has 5 unconditional/conditional offers Atm for uni to get into year2... so it cant be that bad :smile:
For Engineering, an HND will be widely respected - and in terms of employment, vastly more than Highers. At many Universities its a very common route to an Engineering degree - often you can go straight onto the 2nd year of the degree. An HND will give you a world-recognised vocational qualification - this would give you entry to Engineering employment without having to even think about a degree.

Why dont you email some of the Admissions Tutors at the your preferred Unis (the 'contact' email on the course website page) and ask them which they regard as preferable? Also, check out some Engineering job websites and search on 'HND Engineer' (example: http://www.careerstructure.com/JobSeeking/HND.html) - see what Engineering employers are actually looking for in terms of qualifications and experience - I think you'll be surprised.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Enf8

Yes I think so! As someone else pointed out the HND is respected for Engineering, however if you decide after you've studied at college that you don't want to do engineering, having 4 different Highers subjects would leave many doors wide open for you to go off in whichever direction you wanted. If you specifically choose engineering at college - you'll have narrowed you CV down immensely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending