The Student Room Group

Good speaker suggestions please?

I want some speakers reasonable priced (willing to spend up to £80). I want some really loud, so loud they almost shake the room. Good bass.
Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
For your hifi or for your PC? Either way, you will need to spend considerably more for a decent Sub Woofer alone, ~£200, say.
Original post by hogso
For your hifi or for your PC? Either way, you will need to spend considerably more for a decent Sub Woofer alone, ~£200, say.

bull**** dude. I got my hifi for £400 with speakers, cd player and amplifier, and it sounds perfect. Granted the components would have been £600 separately, and I listen to metal rock and ambient rather than all that bassy electronic stuff, but you don't NEED a subwoofer to have a great system.
Reply 3
It's for my pc.
And correct I don't need a subwoofer. A few people I know don't have one in their speakers and it still practically shakes the room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
bull**** dude. I got my hifi for £400 with speakers, cd player and amplifier, and it sounds perfect. Granted the components would have been £600 separately, and I listen to metal rock and ambient rather than all that bassy electronic stuff, but you don't NEED a subwoofer to have a great system.

Not bull****, no. The post above is quite specific in it's request for 'room shaking bass', for which a decent sub woofer would be absolutely be a requirement, I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Original post by Ahava
It's for my pc.
And correct I don't need a subwoofer. A few people I know don't have one in their speakers and it still practically shakes the room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, well, I think you should definitely get a sub regardless. You would be astounded at the difference it would make. Well worth it. Or at least, a set of PC speakers with a small sub included. There are tons of those on the market, and they're pretty cheap as well. 2.1 OK? Here is an alright looking set, 70w output, in budget, but it looks pig ugly.

As I say, there are tons of similar sets on there, and other similar sites. Just try and look for one with a sub and the highest wattage output for ~£80, I guess.
Reply 6
Original post by hogso
Ah, well, I think you should definitely get a sub regardless. You would be astounded at the difference it would make. Well worth it. Or at least, a set of PC speakers with a small sub included. There are tons of those on the market, and they're pretty cheap as well. 2.1 OK? Here is an alright looking set, 70w output, in budget, but it looks pig ugly.

As I say, there are tons of similar sets on there, and other similar sites. Just try and look for one with a sub and the highest wattage output for ~£80, I guess.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
id say the best sound for £80 would be a 2nd hand amp and 2nd hand floorstanders . but to pick up things on the cheap you often have to be patient . no chance of a decent sub for £80. Also remember , its not all about the watts, its about sensitivity two. This is not usually specified with active systems , and the manufacturers clamed spl’s are not something id be so trusty off.
I'd stick with Logitech. I'm not sure on the updated range but they should do a THX certified 2.1 system with a powerful sub. This will defiantly shake your room.

I have an X-540 from 3 years ago and that shakes my house.

EDIT : my X540 cost about 100 at the time. the THX certified 2.1 system will cost around 120 I'm guessing...
If you wanna 'shake ur room' then increase your budget a bit

Posted from TSR iPad
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by anonymouse01
I'd stick with Logitech. I'm not sure on the updated range but they should do a THX certified 2.1 system with a powerful sub. This will defiantly shake your room.

A 2.1 system with a THX certification could be worth going for as that should have a decent low frequency response and that's what you want for "room shaking bass".

Original post by wayward91
id say the best sound for £80 would be a 2nd hand amp and 2nd hand floorstanders . but to pick up things on the cheap you often have to be patient . no chance of a decent sub for £80. Also remember , its not all about the watts, its about sensitivity two. This is not usually specified with active systems , and the manufacturers clamed spl’s are not something id be so trusty off.

2nd hand market is definitely the place to look for decent quality and cheap.

for real room shaking bass a set of C4-Tops and C4-Subs with a B2-Sub from D&B would work nicely but you'll need a bigger budget (and probably a bigger room)
Original post by mfaxford
2nd hand market is definitely the place to look for decent quality and cheap.

for real room shaking bass a set of C4-Tops and C4-Subs with a B2-Sub from D&B would work nicely but you'll need a bigger budget (and probably a bigger room)

Could you post a few links/examples/pictures if you have time?

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 11

Posted from TSR iPad

haa, they are pa speakers. and expensive pa speakers :wink: iv got two different subs at uni. an rcf msw8 (older version with rubber surround on driver(better)) and a kef psw 2000, i use either or . i wouldn't quite say the kef shakes the room but it sounds better at lower spl's. the rcf deffo does shake the room but isnt quite as musical , a very good sub though . they both are

excuse the state of the room in my pics. the large sub is the rcf. the small one is the kef. this is my uni setup .

8158806193_77ce824851_c.jpg
kef psw 2000

8620815034_93fd92a92a_c.jpg
rcf msw8

8158861489_a6a6922d0f_c.jpg
mix of electronics. when using the rcf sub the ppx gets bridged.

for second hand electronics again there is lots of choice, a higher powered receiver and some older floor standees.
(edited 11 years ago)
That setup above looks evil. How much did that cost in total?

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 13

As wayward91 mentioned the D&B kit is more for clubs, gigs and other big events (I used some as part of an outdoor cinema setup). The B2-Sub is something like 1m x 0.5m x 1m (http://www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/black-range/c-series/b2-sub/). It's going to be over kill for a home setup (hence the comment about needing a bigger budget and a bigger room).

KEF certainly have a good name for home HIFI so can be worth looking at. I don't know much of other brands to comment on. However I would generally go for separate amp and decent speakers rather than an all in one setup (such as most 2.1 and 5.1 systems)
Would it not be possible to set up a car subwoofer in your house somehow? Would it work out cheaper

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 15
ohh , i dont know how much , iv lost track . i just buy things im a bit of a sound equipment hoarder tbh.....
And ye they do work as home subs, and they can work fairly well, i had a pioneer car sub a few years ago but it ate the watts. It was powered by a 1650 wrms crown amp in bridge mode, sounded ok but needed power to make any volume . this is because it was so inefficient .
car subs are typically pretty inefficient, so you need a lot of power to get the same volume (/spl) say we have two woofers one has a sensitivity of 87dB @1w@1m and the another is 90dB @1w@1m you would need twice the power from an amplifier to drive the lower efficiency unit to the same spl ! often with car subs the specs for efficiency are “in car” which can be a little difficult to pin down but it adds at least 3dB to the efficiency, from memory i think its typically 5dB more. This is due to what’s known as the boundary loading effect. Basically if it says 90dB efficiency in car it could really only be 85dB efficient in free space (adding 0dB to a woofers output due to no boundary effect) . just a way of pumping up the figures .
also dont forget car amps are 12v so won’t work from 230v mains. There is a company called sure electronics. They have an ebay stall and do some 12v power adaptor units, from memory they were £30 quid or so , depends how much current you need.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Logitech X230

Allyou need

get it from eBay
Original post by wayward91
ohh , i dont know how much , iv lost track . i just buy things im a bit of a sound equipment hoarder tbh.....
And ye they do work as home subs, and they can work fairly well, i had a pioneer car sub a few years ago but it ate the watts. It was powered by a 1650 wrms crown amp in bridge mode, sounded ok but needed power to make any volume . this is because it was so inefficient .
car subs are typically pretty inefficient, so you need a lot of power to get the same volume (/spl) say we have two woofers one has a sensitivity of 87dB @1w@1m and the another is 90dB @1w@1m you would need twice the power from an amplifier to drive the lower efficiency unit to the same spl ! often with car subs the specs for efficiency are “in car” which can be a little difficult to pin down but it adds at least 3dB to the efficiency, from memory i think its typically 5dB more. This is due to what’s known as the boundary loading effect. Basically if it says 90dB efficiency in car it could really only be 85dB efficient in free space (adding 0dB to a woofers output due to no boundary effect) . just a way of pumping up the figures .
also dont forget car amps are 12v so won’t work from 230v mains. There is a company called sure electronics. They have an ebay stall and do some 12v power adaptor units, from memory they were £30 quid or so , depends how much current you need.

Appreciate the detailed reply mate

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 18
Original post by starr92
Hi guyssss

I'm a final year university student and would reallyyyyy appreciate it if you took time to take my short survey based on reality TV shows for my dissertation. It will take you no longer than 2 minutes PROMISE :smile:

The link : http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=3yy0urbrezju5y0131668

Thank you so much in advance! :biggrin:

Your first question is flawed.

What about the people who are between 18-19?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending