The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Type 052D
True. Let's forget that most Pacemakers would blackout under such circumstances could healthcare crisis. The Water purifying stations would not function and power generators would collapse as the Nuclear device detonate over the air. Fortunantly, important services like Hospitals would have back-up generators. Since you are studying electrical engineering, could you elaborate more on this discussion about EMP's.

An emp is not as magical as people think, however one in air is rare. To put it simply, it is a magnetic field that is applied to a circuit and induces current onto the circuit that cause damage. Imagine it was the same as a battery being plugged into random bits of a circuit regardless of polarity and whether it should be there or not,

Original post by Darth Stewie
That is in reference to trains and yes particularly for newer ones there is a pretty high chance of damage however nothing that can't be repaired although it could take a while, it should also be noted that to be hit by 25kV/m the train would probably have to be pretty close to the epicenter of the bomb however no one can know for certain as the strength of an EMP bomb would depend greatly on the people who made it (i'm making an estimation based of the information provided by the USACE members, link below).

You can get a really good report from the US army corp engineers here which outlines their thoughts and concepts of how an EMP bomb would be constructed and dropped including the hypothetical wave lengths and radius.

Providing the inside of the cage is insulated against the outside it will stand up to a pretty hefty beating. Why would it not be published? Its a report discussing the potential threats to civilian infrastructure.

The issue is that no one knows how powerful an air/nuclear detonated one would be, and any good report would never be made public. No matter of national security is ever published and made public is it? Ever seen one about terrorism and hot spots? Nope. Why? Because if you can read it, so can someone else who would use that information against a state.
It depends on the frequency as well. If you get the right frequency, it would pass straight through the cage, thus if you had an EMP bomb which was carried on white noise then everything's ****ed pretty badly very quickly. Is this possible? No idea, but in theory it should be.
Reply 61
I thought they were primarily using F/A-18 Super Hornets (under the command of the US Navy) for both EW and SEAD (Suppression of enemy air defense)!? What I do know is that they will be replace by the F-35C/B.

The EA18 is the Super Hornet, just one optimised for EW in ways that makes it a slightly different model. Follow the link.

Any EW version of the F35 is a long way off.
Original post by Drewski
The EA18 is the Super Hornet, just one optimised for EW in ways that makes it a slightly different model. Follow the link.

Any EW version of the F35 is a long way off.

The link did not work unfortunately. About the F-35, I do believe Boeing is making an EW package for the F-35's combat Avionics;

Electro-optical target system (EOTS) under the nose of a mockup of the F-35. Although this part of the Plane's fuselage is not for EW, it could be utilized by upgrades.

Reply 63
First off all, no NK missile has the capability to reach Continental USA. Second of all, the USN has over 17 Aegis destroyers in the Asia-Pacific, therefore the SPY-1D radar (AESA Phased array radar) would track them down and attempt to shoot it down via the SM-2/3 missiles or at-least derail it's tejectoary path during the terminal stage. Only two nations on earth can stop an ICBM during the terminal stage, that's the PRC and the USA.

Thanks for your impressive use of letters and hardware designations. I drive past one of the arrays you talk about quite frequently and know exactly what it's for.

I think I started my post off with 'Even if...' usually that implies a hypothetical scenario is going to be proposed....but yes, it would be difficult to reach this stage since NK's rocket with the highest range, the Taepodong-2 which can supposedly reach Alaska, failed it's only test flight in 2006.

There seems to be a belief that an EMP detonation would be catastrophic and that everything electrical would cease to work, mostly not true, especialy from a single event.
OK, since I don't want to constantly keep on posting breaking news in different threads, I thought I'd make a main constantly updated thread where I or others can post breaking news on North Korea as and when they come.

So, the first new update is this (and it's certainly no rhetoric):

Source: North Korea seen moving mid-range missile to east coast:reports

North Korea has moved what appears to be a mid-range Musudan missile to its east coast, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said on Thursday, quoting multiple government sources privy to intelligence from U.S. and South Korean authorities.

It was not clear if the missile was mounted with a warhead or whether the North was planning to fire it or was just putting it on display as a show of force, one South Korean government source was quoted as saying.

"South Korean and U.S. intelligence authorities have obtained indications the North has moved an object that appears to be a mid-range missile to the east coast," the source said.

The Musudan missile is believed to have a range of 3,000 km (1,875 miles) or more, which would put all of South Korea and Japan in range and possibly also the U.S. territory of Guam in the Pacific Ocean. North Koreais not believed to have tested these mid-range missiles, according to most independent experts.

South Korea's defense ministry declined to comment.

North Korea has threatened a nuclear strike on the United States and missile attacks on its Pacific bases, including in Guam. Those threats followed new U.N. sanctions imposed on the North after it carried out its third nuclear test in February.

Wow. If true and legitimate, what do you guys think of that? That's certainly no rhetoric - that's real actions (which could be implied to be preparation for an attack, no?)

What do you think?

EDIT: It is true and legitimate. This has been confirmed. A mid-range missile has been sighted on the east coast of North Korea, it's range is believed to be able to cover South Korea, Japan and the US territory of Guam.

Also, the latest updates begin from the bottom of Page 3 of this thread, as an older thread "It All Begins - North Korea Warns Of Merciless Nuclear Strike" has been added earlier to this thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
North Korea just talking rubbish. Even if they did attack America, they have no allies and would be wiped out pretty quickly.
i believe north korea will start a war with sotuh korea
Reply 68
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Are we fast approaching war?

The "rhetoric" has really ratcheted up, more than before - just today, the United States Secretary of Defense Chick Hagel said they present a clear and present danger.

Hagel further said that North Korea had nuclear capability and a capable missile delivery system (I thought they didn't?). Now the United States government is moving a missile defence system to Guam (although that's just common sense and to be expected by any other nation).

What do you think?

"It all begins"? You do realise it's been going on for a fortnight now? The notion of a 'tactical surprise' seems to have been lost on the NKs...

Yes they have weapons capable of going nuclear. Yes they have missiles. What is not certain is whether they have the ability to marry the two together. They certainly don't have the ability to hit the US mainland - much less us sat in the UK.

All it takes is one NK general to be a little nervous and it will start. Similarly, the SKs are in the same state. The commanders along the DMZ have been given permission to fire first if they believe an attack to be imminent.

However, even if it does kick off it's not going to turn into WW3.
Reply 69
Why are they fighting anyway? Someone care to simplify it for me :colondollar:
Does anyone else feel a strange form of euphoria whilst this is all happening? I mean, imagine if War would break out! It would be in our lifetime, without the UK taking part; we could watch nations annihilate themselves for the first time in our history! :biggrin: Im so pumped up for war :biggrin:
I can't see Kimmy being so insanely stupid as to actually launch a nuclear weapon. I mean no one wants to use one, but if NK did, they have to know America would turn Pyongyang into a wasteland..
Reply 72
Original post by Kousar
Why are they fighting anyway? Someone care to simplify it for me :colondollar:

Country split into two after civil war in '50s. Both believe they should be unified. Both have very different ideas on how. North is communist [after a fashion] and horrendously poor, South is capitalist and extremely wealthy.
Additional problems: North is bankrolled by China who wants a buffer between themselves and the US-assisted South Korea. If the Koreas merge it means the US will be on China's doorstep.
Reply 73
Original post by Narutopolaris
Does anyone else feel a strange form of euphoria whilst this is all happening? I mean, imagine if War would break out! It would be in our lifetime, without the UK taking part; we could watch nations annihilate themselves for the first time in our history! :biggrin: Im so pumped up for war :biggrin:

Yeah, woo, many hundreds of thousands of needless deaths and wanton destruction. Amazing.

Get a grip.
Reply 74
Wonton destruction indeed.
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, woo, many hundreds of thousands of needless deaths and wanton destruction. Amazing.

Get a grip.

So? People die everywhere and always have- what difference will it make if Psy's cousins get roasted?
I doubt blood will ever be spilt, in the near future at least.
Reply 77
What are they trying to prove and/or what can they possibly hope to achieve?
I assume it's just rhetoric but not 100% sure now...
Reply 78
Original post by m:)ckel
Wonton destruction indeed.

Awful.

But at the same time brilliant. Kudos.

Original post by Narutopolaris
So? People die everywhere and always have- what difference will it make if Psy's cousins get roasted?

The difference is in taking a voyeuristic pleasure in it.
Bring it on Fat Kim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending