The Student Room Group

Biochemistry: Which university?

Just wondering if anyone is or is going to be studying either biochemistry at Nottingham Trent University or Biochemistry and genetics at Nottingham University?

I have received a conditional offer for both, however still making my mind up.

I am a mature student so I am not bothered about student life, nightlife etc.
I have been to visit days for both and Nottingham Trent is my preferred option; their lab and research facilities are brilliant with a new £7.6 million lab, their lecturers seem to be passionate about what they teach, smaller campus (Clifton Campus) which I like; rather than the big, loud, playground type atmosphere at Nottingham University, Trent have a placement year and it also has onsite parking, a must as it's a 60mile round trip.

I don’t care too much about league tables as I think it is relative to what you want to gain out of your experience, for example maybe in the top 10 in the country, but what in? It might have a great overall student life experience but I’m not interested in that side of university. It might be fantastic place to learn law but not so great to learn biochemistry. I you see what I mean.

The reason I ask this is that everyone that has asked me about which universities I have been offered a place at; they all think I should go to Nottingham University and are surprised when I say I am favoring Nottingham Trent. Except for my father who accompained me to all the visit days, to give a second opinion, and who, like me, prefers Nottingham Trent.

I rate Trent above Nottingham University for the degree that I want to do, I just want to know if anyone has experience at either campus on these courses that could give me an insight?

Just received a conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam for Biochemistry too, if anyone has any first hand experience from that course too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Nottingham's Biochemistry and Genetics course is by far an better option for you. It's an 4 year BSc and you would graduate from an more elitist establishment. It's an Russel Group University therefore it can fund greater levels of research and PhD programs, not to mention that they have an Medical school if you want to convert to Medicine.
Reply 2
Thank you for your advice. Much appricated.

I already have 10 years work experience, however I have none in Biochemistry or science for that matter, so the placement year at Trent is a big plus for me. however as you have metioned, the elisist establisment keeps cropping up with Nottingham University. Although no placement opportunities there and the labs just didn't seem as good.

I am worrying as I don't want to spend the next four years working my backside off and not get a job just because I didn't go to the 'right' university rather than on the grades I achieve.

What is also bugging me is; I know in the world of work, experience is paramount.
Reply 3
Original post by xxxxLillyxxxx
Thank you for your advice. Much appricated.

I already have 10 years work experience, however I have none in Biochemistry or science for that matter, so the placement year at Trent is a big plus for me. however as you have metioned, the elisist establisment keeps cropping up with Nottingham University. Although no placement opportunities there and the labs just didn't seem as good.

I am worrying as I don't want to spend the next four years working my backside off and not get a job just because I didn't go to the 'right' university rather than on the grades I achieve.

What is also bugging me is; I know in the world of work, experience is paramount.

But it's Nottingham! One of the Best university in the World and top Ten for Sciences in the UK. Nottingham Trent has an good reputation despite being an younger university. But do want to get an career in Academia or an career in Industry. If you want Academia then UoN is the best way to go. But if you want an job in industry then Nottingham tend is probably best for you. Having an 10 year experience is an massive advantage in the an increasingly declining economy :smile:, so finding an job would be easier for you than an average BSc graduate. BTW where did you work at?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
You have made some good points.
I think I will be aiming more to industry, probably because that is more my comfort zone, but I do like to push myself once I get too comfortable. Hence why struggling to make a decision and I don't know what I am capable of yet as haven't studied for 10 years (well unless you count the access course, but that is only A level Biology and Chemistry)

Past 10 years I have worked in Banking, IT, Marketing and NHS drugs team. Pretty varied as I have been searching for the right path, which I have now found. Only took 26 years!

Anyway I am rambling, thank you for your input; it has been very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending