The Student Room Group

Why is this sexism allowed - Women in Science

Why is this digusting sexism tolerated with no one batting an eye lid?

There are a total of ten scholarships available, each worth £3,000 for Home/EU female students in the School of Natural & Mathematical Sciences, who are undertaking undergraduate studies in the areas of mathematics, physics or computer science starting in 2013.

I cannot apply for this scholarship simply because I am male.

This is rather infuriating, I meet all the other criteria yet because of my gender I am being discriminated against.

Imagine the outrage if there was an exclusively male only scholarship.

Is there have a human rights case?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it's because there are less females taking them subjects and they're using this as an incentive for more females to apply.
Reply 2
Original post by JordanS94
I think it's because there are less females taking them subjects and they're using this as an incentive for more females to apply.

Thanks, Sherlock.
Reply 3
It could be funded privately by a foundation and therefore they can choose to put certain criteria should they so wish.
because those subjects are lacking in the female department.

we get free entry to clubs too :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by imiss-school

This is rather infuriating, I meet all the other criteria yet because of my gender I am being discriminated against.

Seems like "positive discrimination" as it is so famously said these days.
Reply 6
Original post by JordanS94

Well it would be much better if the incentive was that it's an interesting subject with good job prospects.
Reply 7
Myth? In what manner of the word?
Reply 8
I agree with the scholarship, but they should do the same for males for courses that are predominantly female
Reply 9
Original post by Bellissima

amongst many other benefits, in fact I think its better to be a woman than man in the west
Reply 10
That's severely illogical and suggests little observational skills.

In society if you have two individuals (gender aside) in different roles such as jobs you'd agree that they have different skill sets right? Due to education, upbringing, likes/dislikes, genetics etc.. So why when you look in the natural world and see different genders of the same species exclusively performing completely different social roles to one another you don't think that that could be due to having different 'skill sets'?
It's an initiative for women to get into science; which even in this day and age is needed!

Women have had to put up with that kind of discrimination for forever, so I’m sure men can cope with a course giving 10 women an opportunity to get into science.
Reply 12
You haven't answered my question nor given an explanation as to how my thinking is flawed.
Reply 13
It's a fair idea but, as with other forms of positive discrimination, it can be annoying.

All candidates should be assumed equal until they prove based on individual merit that they are the best for a position.
Original post by Mockery
That's severely illogical and suggests little observational skills.

In society if you have two individuals (gender aside) in different roles such as jobs you'd agree that they have different skill sets right? Due to education, upbringing, likes/dislikes, genetics etc.. So why when you look in the natural world and see different genders of the same species exclusively performing completely different social roles to one another you don't think that that could be due to having different 'skill sets'?

Calling someone illogical and then making some fascile analogy to an inferior species? Get out. I agree that there are clear natural differences between human males and females, but seriously get out.
Reply 15

I do agree with this as if there was a ‘male-only’ scholarship then feminists all would be publicly outraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I was expecting something along the lines of "women only fit certain roles in human populations due to unjust and oppressive societal pressures". I certainly wasn't expecting you claiming to be unable to see something that I believe to witness on a daily basis and am able to make strong parallels between this and less complex examples in other species.

Not quite sure how to argue against that :lol: Any attempt at putting forward examples is going to be shunned immediately if it hasn't already been accepted.
Reply 17
Original post by Unkempt_One
Calling someone illogical and then making some fascile analogy to an inferior species? Get out. I agree that there are clear natural differences between human males and females, but seriously get out.

Inferior, What? Get your head out of your arse.
(edited 10 years ago)

Apply for it claiming you are a woman trapped in a man's body.
Original post by Bellissima

So why don't you see scholarships for men wanting to get into nursing, psychology, or even university education as a whole? They're all areas in which men are under-represented.

"Because there are less women" is not a justification, I think in most cases it's simply that not as many women are interested in the subject as men. In which case all that the scholarship is doing is giving extra money to women who would've likely made the same decision anyway, which means it isn't necessary.

I'm completely against 'positive' discrimination like this, it's unfair and flies in the face of true equality.

Quick Reply

Latest