The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

UoM Modern Languages Freshers '13-'14

Hey! I am going to firm for Arabic and Russian (provided that I can change my course) and I just wanted to get to know my future colleagues a little bit! Who else has Manchester as a firm for Modern Languages?

I don't know if the title of the topic is the best I could have chosen, as most of our offers are still conditional, but fingers crossed and let's hope for the best!
Reply 1
Original post by alunaverde
Hey! I am going to firm for Arabic and Russian (provided that I can change my course) and I just wanted to get to know my future colleagues a little bit! Who else has Manchester as a firm for Modern Languages?

I don't know if the title of the topic is the best I could have chosen, as most of our offers are still conditional, but fingers crossed and let's hope for the best!

Hey there !
I firmed my unconditional offer for Chinese and Japanese so I'll go to Manchester for sure, although I'm also trying to change my course (to Business Management and Japanese) :smile:

I'm really happy I firmed Manchester. I'm having a blast here in Beijing for my gap year and I'm actually fearing to see it come to an end, so it really feels awesome to have Manchester to look forward to. I'm sure these 4 years are gonna be amazing - don't even get me started on the year abroad !

May I ask, why Arabic and Russian ? :smile: (awesome combination btw)
(edited 11 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Bambirina
Hey there !
I firmed my unconditional offer for Chinese and Japanese so I'll go to Manchester for sure, although I'm also trying to change my course (to Business Management and Japanese) :smile:

May I ask, why Arabic and Russian ? :smile: (awesome combination btw)

Heey!

We've talked on the Languages Applicants' forum, I was kind of waiting for you here, congratulations for deciding on Manchester! I've told you back then and I'll tell you again, your year abroad seems great! I'm attending some Chinese classes atm and I'd kill for a whole year in "the north capital"! I'm heading towards the HSK 2, did you know that there is a Confucius Institute in Manchester? I'm so excited I can go on with my Mandarin learning there, as I do not have any spare credits for the LEAP scheme.

Well, it's simple, I've started flirting with Russian on my own and I love it and, as a wannabe polyglot, I couldn't stop myself from taking a look at Arabic, too. I love how both languages sound, the fact that Arabic has so many rules, every exception becomes a new rule, its dialects, the lovely script that is supposed to praise Allah, the magnamity of the Russian literature, the whole mystery surrounding the Middle East... Oh well, I should stop now, or I'll write a whole new PS here. Between the Arab world and Russia there are many more connections than I would have thought, as one of my Cambridge interviewers decided to show me, and I'm determined to discover more.

I'm just waiting for the official confirmation of my course change and then I can't wait to apply for accommodation and sourt out my student loan.
Reply 3
Heey!

We've talked on the Languages Applicants' forum, I was kind of waiting for you here, congratulations for deciding on Manchester! I've told you back then and I'll tell you again, your year abroad seems great! I'm attending some Chinese classes atm and I'd kill for a whole year in "the north capital"! I'm heading towards the HSK 2, did you know that there is a Confucius Institute in Manchester? I'm so excited I can go on with my Mandarin learning there, as I do not have any spare credits for the LEAP scheme.

Well, it's simple, I've started flirting with Russian on my own and I love it and, as a wannabe polyglot, I couldn't stop myself from taking a look at Arabic, too. I love how both languages sound, the fact that Arabic has so many rules, every exception becomes a new rule, its dialects, the lovely script that is supposed to praise Allah, the magnamity of the Russian literature, the whole mystery surrounding the Middle East... Oh well, I should stop now, or I'll write a whole new PS here. Between the Arab world and Russia there are many more connections than I would have thought, as one of my Cambridge interviewers decided to show me, and I'm determined to discover more.

I'm just waiting for the official confirmation of my course change and then I can't wait to apply for accommodation and sourt out my student loan.

Yes of course I know about the Confucius Institute :wink: I'm surely gonna take a few advanced classes there, especially if I change my course. I will take the HSK 5 in June and I hope to be able to get the HSK 6 by the end of my degree :smile: if Japanese doesn't take all my time and attention, that is :rolleyes:
But I really can't wait to start my degree !

Why don't you apply for accommodation now ?
My parents just sent me a scanned copy of my confirmation letter so now I can finally start applying for loans and stuff, I'm so excited !
Reply 4
Yes of course I know about the Confucius Institute :wink: I'm surely gonna take a few advanced classes there, especially if I change my course. I will take the HSK 5 in June and I hope to be able to get the HSK 6 by the end of my degree :smile: if Japanese doesn't take all my time and attention, that is :rolleyes:
But I really can't wait to start my degree !

Why don't you apply for accommodation now ?
My parents just sent me a scanned copy of my confirmation letter so now I can finally start applying for loans and stuff, I'm so excited !

Good luck with your HSK 5!

Well, I'm waiting for the official confirmation of the change, as I have to provide them with my course's name when applying for accommodation. I also can't wait to sort out all the financial issues, but I'm leaving for the national phase of the German Olympiad tomorrow, so I think I'll leave them to when I come back.
Reply 5
I've firmed for Arabic and Spanish so all being well I'll be headed up to Manchester this September
Reply 6
Good luck with your HSK 5!

Well, I'm waiting for the official confirmation of the change, as I have to provide them with my course's name when applying for accommodation. I also can't wait to sort out all the financial issues, but I'm leaving for the national phase of the German Olympiad tomorrow, so I think I'll leave them to when I come back.

I have already applied for accommodation but I don't think changing course will be a problem .. at least I hope not !
Good luck for the Olympiad :smile:

Original post by cjkernow
I've firmed for Arabic and Spanish so all being well I'll be headed up to Manchester this September

Yayy !! :biggrin: that's a really nice combination ! Do you already know some Arabic/Spanish ?
Reply 7
Yayy !! :biggrin: that's a really nice combination ! Do you already know some Arabic/Spanish ?

Yeah it should be good :smile: I'm an A Level Spanish student but Arabic is pretty much brand new for me-really looking forward to it.
Reply 8
Original post by cjkernow
Yeah it should be good :smile: I'm an A Level Spanish student but Arabic is pretty much brand new for me-really looking forward to it.

Hehe, we'll be classmates! I'm also very excited when it comes to the Arabic side of my course due to its novelty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending