The Student Room Group

'Non-repayable grants'

I thought these grants didn't have to be paid back AT ALL. I was flicking through some student finance PDF booklets I found on this site which state at the bottom that the grants don't have to be paid back unless you 'leave your course early'. Since when was it like this? Does it mean that I could do one year of study ... rake in the £3.3k maintenance grant with no student loan and then have to pay it back if I failed that year and/or dropped out?

This is what happened to me at 19 ... I did 1 year and failed/dropped out and took the full maintenance grant + university bursary. Do I have to pay this stuff back?
Reply 1
You only pay it back if you don't complete the year. For example, if you dropped out in February, you'd have to pay back some of the grant and if you received a third installment, that too.
Original post by bored.i.am
I thought these grants didn't have to be paid back AT ALL. I was flicking through some student finance PDF booklets I found on this site which state at the bottom that the grants don't have to be paid back unless you 'leave your course early'. Since when was it like this? Does it mean that I could do one year of study ... rake in the £3.3k maintenance grant with no student loan and then have to pay it back if I failed that year and/or dropped out?

This is what happened to me at 19 ... I did 1 year and failed/dropped out and took the full maintenance grant + university bursary. Do I have to pay this stuff back?

As far as I understand it, say you only go to uni for 3 months, you can only keep 3months' worth of grant. The rest you'll have to pay back because you didn't use, if that makes sense...
It's not like you can keep a whole year's worth of grant, if you only go to uni for a week. They'll give you the amount of money relative to how long you were at uni for.
But I'm not an expert, I'd check with someone else first though :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
You only pay it back if you don't complete the year. For example, if you dropped out in February, you'd have to pay back some of the grant and if you received a third installment, that too.

So seeing as I went to my exams (and failed), last time around - does that mean I won't have to pay any of that maintenance back I take it, even though I failed? Just checking for certain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending