The Student Room Group

My parents dont want me to move out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ANB1993
An unorthodox method would be to show your parents this thread haha with everyone's opinions!

Ahahahaha It did actually cross my mind but doesnt it look as if im getting people to gang up against them?? :L
Reply 21
My mum doesn't really want me to move out either, so what I am doing and would be good for you to do is compromise. Say that you will come back home at least once a fortnight on weekends or something along those lines. That way you can still move out but they will still see you on a regular basis. If the university you really want to go to requires you to be in accommodation because of distance, then you need to tell them that your education comes first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by hoggjz000
Ahahahaha It did actually cross my mind but doesnt it look as if im getting people to gang up against them?? :L

It has the potential to backfire, however it also has the potential to be a resounding success. If all else fails you could try it I suppose!
Reply 23
Original post by ANB1993
It has the potential to backfire, however it also has the potential to be a resounding success. If all else fails you could try it I suppose!

It can be my final strategy xD
If you live near to campus I would (I do) Save myself a fortune living with my fiancé and my parents and I’m 26! And won’t finish degree till 30, however, we do have a deposit saved for a home for when I finish, and I have already done the socializing scene when I was your age.

With a degree already being £27000+ worth of debt already; adding extra on top of that to live away from home, when you have the opportunity to live at home may not be the smartest move.

You will have plenty of time for independence the rest of your life after your degree.

If you are eligible for the maintenance grant; save that money and spend the money you earn from working part time, that way, you may even come out of university with savings.

If still not sure, spend the first year at home, then if you feel you are missing out then move out in your second year.

I would say it is your decision but respect your parents views, as hard as it is to admit, 99% of the time they are right.
Reply 25
Original post by Jordan.G
My mum doesn't really want me to move out either, so what I am doing and would be good for you to do is compromise. Say that you will come back home at least once a fortnight on weekends or something along those lines. That way you can still move out but they will still see you on a regular basis. If the university you really want to go to requires you to be in accommodation because of distance, then you need to tell them that your education comes first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See the thing is im already at uni, :smile: Im going in to my second year and Ive met some good friends that id like to move in with. It sounds stupid but I hate travelling in to town everyday. Id rather live closer :smile: Also, I want my independence.....I have two younger siblings and an older sister and they all drive me crazy :L
Reply 26
Original post by xxxxLillyxxxx
If you live near to campus I would (I do) Save myself a fortune living with my fiancé and my parents and I’m 26! And won’t finish degree till 30, however, we do have a deposit saved for a home for when I finish, and I have already done the socializing scene when I was your age.

With a degree already being £27000+ worth of debt already; adding extra on top of that to live away from home, when you have the opportunity to live at home may not be the smartest move.

You will have plenty of time for independence the rest of your life after your degree.

If you are eligible for the maintenance grant; save that money and spend the money you earn from working part time, that way, you may even come out of university with savings.

If still not sure, spend the first year at home, then if you feel you are missing out then move out in your second year.

I would say it is your decision but respect your parents views, as hard as it is to admit, 99% of the time they are right.

I can get where your coming from but that was my argument in first year :smile: Im in my second year now ... and I would like to move out...
Reply 27
Explain that you understand their side but you would like to make your own decision and whatever you choose, hope that they will respect and SUPPORT (not necessarily financially) that decision. And you can always move back after your first year but I feel that the first year is for being in the middle of everything. You make mistakes but you learn from them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 28
You should have gone to a different university then, far away.
I know it's a tough one, I am still screaming for my independence at 26, however I know it's not forever and it will save me a small fortune.

The way you have got look at it is will you regret leaving home and the cost implications or will regret not leaving?

Your parents may still see you as their baby, so maybe start doing very independent things (as uni isn't really seen as very independent to parents because they see it as an extension from school) and then they might start to coming round to the idea that you will be ok.
Well it's your choice. How old are you OP anyway?
Reply 31
I know it's a tough one, I am still screaming for my independence at 26, however I know it's not forever and it will save me a small fortune.

The way you have got look at it is will you regret leaving home and the cost implications or will regret not leaving?

Your parents may still see you as their baby, so maybe start doing very independent things (as uni isn't really seen as very independent to parents because they see it as an extension from school) and then they might start to coming round to the idea that you will be ok.

See, Im very independent at home already... I basically do everything for myself and more. Im just at a point in my life now where I feel that I am ready to move out and I dont wont to rely on my parents for anything...I want to start living my own life.. .
Reply 32
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Well it's your choice. How old are you OP anyway?

Im 17 but ill b 18 when my second year starts :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Whitley
Explain that you understand their side but you would like to make your own decision and whatever you choose, hope that they will respect and SUPPORT (not necessarily financially) that decision. And you can always move back after your first year but I feel that the first year is for being in the middle of everything. You make mistakes but you learn from them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well Ive just about finished my first year :smile: Ill b in my second year when Im living on my own. I dont want to have to move back tho because that would be admitting my parents were right and that I couldnt cope on my own..
Im 17 but ill b 18 when my second year starts :smile:

Ohh ok. I suppose I can see where they are coming from in the sense that you aren't a legally an adult yet (unless you're scottish), but the difference between 17 and 18 is nothing to be so pedantic about. If you want to move out then go and explain try to make them understand that it's not because of them, I'm sure they'd get over it eventually.

Having said that, I really don't see why you want the responsibility of moving out, honestly it sucks. Constant bills, rent, food, and you personally are liable for everything. I moved out the house because I had to, but personally I would have rather stayed and milked it a bit longer.
Reply 35
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Ohh ok. I suppose I can see where they are coming from in the sense that you aren't a legally an adult yet (unless you're scottish), but the difference between 17 and 18 is nothing to be so pedantic about. If you want to move out then go and explain try to make them understand that it's not because of them, I'm sure they'd get over it eventually.

Having said that, I really don't see why you want the responsibility of moving out, honestly it sucks. Constant bills, rent, food, and you personally are liable for everything. I moved out the house because I had to, but personally I would have rather stayed and milked it a bit longer.

I am Scottish :smile: I dunno what it is that makes me feel the need to move out... I just feel like I want the independence and freedom that comes with living on ur own :smile:
If you really want to leave then sit them down, tell them how much you value their opinion etc, however, you need to do this for your, or you will always be wondering.

Personally I would hold out for two years (they will fly by) and think of the money you will save. I know I keep mentioning the money but trust me, I have seen plenty of my friends being more fustrated about not having any money and being in debt, than they were in their first year at uni living at home with their parents.
Reply 37
If you really want to leave then sit them down, tell them how much you value their opinion etc, however, you need to do this for your, or you will always be wondering.

Personally I would hold out for two years (they will fly by) and think of the money you will save. I know I keep mentioning the money but trust me, I have seen plenty of my friends being more fustrated about not having any money and being in debt, than they were in their first year at uni living at home with their parents.

I do understand what your saying and honestly I have thought this through :smile: I do want to have the experience though....
I am Scottish :smile: I dunno what it is that makes me feel the need to move out... I just feel like I want the independence and freedom that comes with living on ur own :smile:

Fair enough.
In that case tell them, tell them what you have said on here and show them you can do it (more pressure, but sure you can cope)

The softer and slower you talk, the more people have to listen, the more they will take in what you have to say; plus sounds like you are in control (10 years of team meeting experience at work on that one)

Good luck with it all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest