The Student Room Group

Should I be aiming higher?

My result in March were better than I expected for my first module results, and in one subject (English Lit) I've done well enough that I am almost very safe in getting a high A at the end of the year (only need D in my coursework to get an A overall, and I'm targeted an A for it). This is going to give me a good set up for an A* overall at the end of A2. In History (which I am applying for at uni) although it is not as set in stone as English, I think I have the potential to do very well in the AS, hence also a good set up for an A*.

I had been looking at unis between AAA-ABB - York, Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Southampton, Leicester and Kent - which I do like the look of, and would be happy to get into. However, now that in theory I have a chance of getting 1 maybe 2A*s, I feel like I'm not pushing myself to get to a university with higher requirements and very well known to be good for History (Durhum, Bristol and Exeter are ones that spring to mind personally).

Basically, I'm very unsure how hard to push myself, and would like some advice on that. I don't want to apply to universities that I'd have little chance of being accepted into, particularly as I'm so early on in the course that anything could change. Going to some of the open days are going to be a pain, particularly Exeter, and I'm already booked to see lots so I really can't go to that many more. However, I don't want to minimise my options, and I might regret not even considering some unis. In terms of of extra curriculars I'm pretty weak (I am doing extra study which I could talk about but nothing that makes me stand out imo) and my GCSEs are 3A*s, 4As, 2Bs and a distinction in a BTEC (I think anyway - anyone know what AiDa is?) which I'm pleased with but might not be as strong as other candidates.

I'd like some advice please - should I book open days at some of the more prestigious universities? (Also I'm sorry if this seems like showing off or a bit stupid, but I think this is a bit different than "will 5A*s get me into Oxford" :tongue:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't see why you shouldn't aim higher, if you think you're up to it. You can apply to 5 universities after all, so why not make it a nice mix of your current choices and, let's say, Durham and Exeter? You have plenty of time to decide, and plenty of time to see how well you do in the future. I wouldn't worry about your GCSE's, they're more than adequate.

Don't make the mistake I made, I have the potential and grades to go to top a 10 uni, and yet I underestimated myself and didn't apply to those universities. I've made my peace now, but It still sometimes makes me slightly disappointed with myself.

Time will tell with your grades, but try your hardest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Doing very well at AS isn't exactly "a good set-up for an A*" in the sense that it's possible to get CCC at AS level and still get A*A*A* overall, due to the A* being required in A2 modules not AS modules. I.e. doing exceptionally well in AS results only helps insofar as it shows you will cope very well at A2 level. If you get 90% in your A2 modules, it doesn't matter if you got 70% in your AS modules or 100%, either way you'd come out with the same grades of A*A*A*. It was difficult to judge whether you knew that so I thought I'd remind you just in case.

Regardless though, UCAS applications are still a while off yet so I don't see why you think you're not pushing yourself - there isn't really anything to push yourself toward except doing well in AS, which so far you have. As for whether you should apply to those universities with the higher requirements - that's more of a decision to make after you get your AS results in full but if you continue as you are then I think you would be missing out if you did not apply to at least one of the competitive universities; preferably two. E.g. two A*AA one AAA one AAB and one ABB.
Thankyou for the replies, I think I might aim to book for open days in September, so I can look at my August results (also thankyou for the A* thing - I was more interested in my module-ums mark as A*s are only predicted at my college if your AS grades are high, but none the less very helpful :awesome:)
Always push yourself as far as you can - or you could be left with the same regrets as NeomNems.

Do that, see what you end up with at AS, and as you said go to as many open days as you can. What is the particular problem with Exeter?

My only other comment is that of your initial list, York should be considered in the same breath as your three current aspirational choices.
Original post by ageshallnot
Always push yourself as far as you can - or you could be left with the same regrets as NeomNems.

Do that, see what you end up with at AS, and as you said go to as many open days as you can. What is the particular problem with Exeter?

My only other comment is that of your initial list, York should be considered in the same breath as your three current aspirational choices.

Exeter is 5/6 hours away from where I live, plus I can't go to most of the open days offered (I've decided that it hasn't interested me enough to have a proper look at it anyway, despite apparently being very good for History)

I sort of 'downgraded' York as it didn't have an A* requirement (though apparently Bristol doesn't either, which is different from what I heard :s). I presume it's a lot more competitive than I originally thought then.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by brendonbackflip
My result in March were better than I expected for my first module results, and in one subject (English Lit) I've done well enough that I am almost very safe in getting a high A at the end of the year (only need D in my coursework to get an A overall, and I'm targeted an A for it). This is going to give me a good set up for an A* overall at the end of A2. In History (which I am applying for at uni) although it is not as set in stone as English, I think I have the potential to do very well in the AS, hence also a good set up for an A*.

I had been looking at unis between AAA-ABB - York, Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Southampton, Leicester and Kent - which I do like the look of, and would be happy to get into. However, now that in theory I have a chance of getting 1 maybe 2A*s, I feel like I'm not pushing myself to get to a university with higher requirements and very well known to be good for History (Durhum, Bristol and Exeter are ones that spring to mind personally).

Basically, I'm very unsure how hard to push myself, and would like some advice on that. I don't want to apply to universities that I'd have little chance of being accepted into, particularly as I'm so early on in the course that anything could change. Going to some of the open days are going to be a pain, particularly Exeter, and I'm already booked to see lots so I really can't go to that many more. However, I don't want to minimise my options, and I might regret not even considering some unis. In terms of of extra curriculars I'm pretty weak (I am doing extra study which I could talk about but nothing that makes me stand out imo) and my GCSEs are 3A*s, 4As, 2Bs and a distinction in a BTEC (I think anyway - anyone know what AiDa is?) which I'm pleased with but might not be as strong as other candidates.

I'd like some advice please - should I book open days at some of the more prestigious universities? (Also I'm sorry if this seems like showing off or a bit stupid, but I think this is a bit different than "will 5A*s get me into Oxford" :tongue:)

I would say that maybe you should put down 2 riskier ones, maybe Durham and Exeter? Nottingham/Southampton/Leeds etc are all very good unis (perhaps with Kent being the exception). Your Gcses are fine also.
Like someone said already, getting good As this year doesn't exactly set you up for an A*. For example, I need BCC this year to get AAA overall. But I still need A*A*A* to get 3A*s.
Ps, I'm going to Exeter to do History next year, it's amazing! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by maskofsanity
Doing very well at AS isn't exactly "a good set-up for an A*" in the sense that it's possible to get CCC at AS level and still get A*A*A* overall, due to the A* being required in A2 modules not AS modules. I.e. doing exceptionally well in AS results only helps insofar as it shows you will cope very well at A2 level. If you get 90% in your A2 modules, it doesn't matter if you got 70% in your AS modules or 100%, either way you'd come out with the same grades of A*A*A*. It was difficult to judge whether you knew that so I thought I'd remind you just in case.

Regardless though, UCAS applications are still a while off yet so I don't see why you think you're not pushing yourself - there isn't really anything to push yourself toward except doing well in AS, which so far you have. As for whether you should apply to those universities with the higher requirements - that's more of a decision to make after you get your AS results in full but if you continue as you are then I think you would be missing out if you did not apply to at least one of the competitive universities; preferably two. E.g. two A*AA one AAA one AAB and one ABB.

Actually you need to get at least 80% combined in your AS levels and a combined score of 90% in your A2.
Reply 8
Original post by brendonbackflip
Thankyou for the replies, I think I might aim to book for open days in September, so I can look at my August results (also thankyou for the A* thing - I was more interested in my module-ums mark as A*s are only predicted at my college if your AS grades are high, but none the less very helpful :awesome:)

Be careful on the A* thing. You actually need a combined total of 80% in AS and combined total of 90% in A2 to get an A*.
So long as you get a B or above overall in AS and 90% overall in A2 you'll get an A*
You're in a good position to get an A overall so long as you do well in the next modules!
I'd chuck one with an A* in the mix - you do have five options :smile: plus Durham is an amazing uni (might be biased though because I'm hopefully going there!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ANB1993
Actually you need to get at least 80% combined in your AS levels and a combined score of 90% in your A2.

No you don't. It's 80% overall for the two years and 90% in the A2 modules.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/special_pdf/A-QUICK-GUIDE-TO-GCE-A-STAR-GRADES.PDF
Original post by ANB1993
Be careful on the A* thing. You actually need a combined total of 80% in AS and combined total of 90% in A2 to get an A*.

Please stop posting incorrect information...
Original post by Aristocles123
So long as you get a B or above overall in AS and 90% overall in A2 you'll get an A*

This is wrong.

You simply need 80% overall and 90% in the A2 modules. So you could get 65% in AS and 95% in A2 and get an A* overall.
Reply 13
No you don't. It's 80% overall for the two years and 90% in the A2 modules.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/special_pdf/A-QUICK-GUIDE-TO-GCE-A-STAR-GRADES.PDF

When I went through last year we were required to get A in AS levels and A* in A2. I was CCEA though. No need to jump down my throat mate, did not mean to post false information!
Original post by ANB1993
When I went through last year we were required to get A in AS levels and A* in A2. I was CCEA though. No need to jump down my throat mate, did not mean to post false information!

No:

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/accreditation/guidance/gce_developments.asp

Don't post with such authority if you don't know for certain.
This is wrong.

You simply need 80% overall and 90% in the A2 modules. So you could get 65% in AS and 95% in A2 and get an A* overall.

No it isn't incorrect, every teacher has told everyone the same at my college...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aristocles123
No it isn't incorrect, every teacher has told everyone the same at my college...

You have misunderstood or your teachers are wrong.
This is wrong.

Actually, I see the confusion. My apologies, what I meant but failed to say that it is mathematically possible to get an A* with a B at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
i was in a similar situation a few weeks ago however ive made my choice im currently doing a BTEC and need 280 UCAS points for Bsc hons Environmental Science at Sheffield hallam University im doing so well on the BTEC i will probably get 360 UCAS points at least from it which is enough to get me into University of Sheffield for the same course my A levels will also back my application up so i have a pretty solid chance of getting in however even though University of Sheffields course is more prestigious and academic one of the best in the country in fact but i can see through it with hallam you get the chance to get a years work xp and the modules are more vocational and practical whereas with Uni of Sheffield you can tell they are more interested in pushing people into advanced degrees which may not lead to better employment prospects in the long run so you have to think of things like this.
This is wrong.

Wait no actually :L please tell me if I am wrong (as my maths is shabby) that above 70% in AS combined with above 90% in A2 fulfils the requirement of 80% overall and 90% in A2 for an A* overall?
Are we just saying the same thing but in different ways?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending