The Student Room Group

Electristity question

I don't really get 7b part 3 where you have to find out the emf of the battery supply could anyone help me out.

The answers for the rest are follows:

Resistance= 0.98 ohms

Current= 2.08 A

Voltage= 2.04 V

Could anyone please help me find the emf, none the equations I try actually work?? The question is in the attachment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Reply 2
Well, P = IV, So the EMF = Power (in watts) / Current (in amperes)

Edit: Not quite sure what you're asking for?

The EMF (in Volts) = P/I = 4.25/2.08 = 2.04 as you originally stated
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
What equations are you using that don't work?

V = E - Ir

V = pd across the external circuit (V)
E = emf of the cell (V)
I = current through the cell (A)
r = value of the internal resistance (Ω )
(Ir = the p.d. across the internal resistor)

V = E - Ir
2.04 = E - (Ir)
2.04 = E - (2.08x0.98)
2.04 = E - 2.0834
E = 2.04 + 2.0834
E = 4.1234

I have no idea if that's right... I managed to grab an A in Physics but that was over 7 years ago haha!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Look at the second. Photo attachment thats the question! The answer in the mark scheme is 16.1 V

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well I got 4.1234v.... Just multiply my answer by 4 and you've got 16.4v which is close enough!

I'm sure someone who can actually help you will be here soon!
Reply 6
Original post by Rybee
Well I got 4.1234v.... Just multiply my answer by 4 and you've got 16.4v which is close enough!

I'm sure someone who can actually help you will be here soon!

Its a pretty weird question as you cant use any of the emf equations :frown: really need help on this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Reply 8
Reply 9
There are two wires going around the circuit, this surely means they are parallel wires? Does that help?
Original post by raiden95
There are two wires going around the circuit, this surely means they are parallel wires? Does that help?

So how do you find the emf?

The equation for emf is E = V + Ir and you don't have internal resistance

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Jimmy20002012
So how do you find the emf?

The equation for emf is E = V + Ir and you don't have internal resistance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe there is no internal resistance? Do you have resistance in each wire? Do you have overall current?
Work out total resistance in parallel, then use E=IR

I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but after i left the exam in january I wish i did this.

EDIT: sorry about the mistake, the internal resistance is in the copper wire i believe, and the total internal resistance 1/r = 1/0.98 + 1/0.98 is it not?

Let me know how you do, that's how I think its done :smile: my answer is 3.06V or 13.0V, do you know the answer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Maybe there is no internal resistance? Do you have resistance in each wire? Do you have overall current?
Work out total resistance in parallel, then use E=IR

I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but after i left the exam in january I wish i did this.

EDIT: sorry about the mistake, the internal resistance is in the copper wire i believe, and the total internal resistance 1/r = 1/0.98 + 1/0.98 is it not?

Let me know how you do, that's how I think its done :smile: my answer is 3.06V or 13.0V, do you know the answer?

The answer is 16.1v and the solution is that they do:

12 + 2 x 2.04 = 16.1 V

No idea what you do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
The lamp is working at rated capacity so you've got 12v across the bulb and 2.04v across each of the two wires connecting it to the power supply.
Seems straightforward tbh.
Reply 14
The answer is 16.1v and the solution is that they do:

12 + 2 x 2.04 = 16.1 V

No idea what you do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thats weird, i said 3.06 or 13.0 add them its 16.06 which is 16.1 1dp
:confused:
Haha thats weird, i said 3.06 or 13.0 add them its 16.06 which is 16.1 1dp
:confused:

There is 12V across the source, as stated in the question. Then, visualise the circuit, paying particular attention to the way that the wires are organised (parallel/series). Then use the appropriate circuit rules to work out the total emf, which is the solution as given. I did this paper in January and got above 90%.:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by American Vampire
There is 12V across the source, as stated in the question. Then, visualise the circuit, paying particular attention to the way that the wires are organised (parallel/series). Then use the appropriate circuit rules to work out the total emf, which is the solution as given. I did this paper in January and got above 90%.:smile:

Haha same! I got 94% :tongue: but if i got this question right would have been better!
90% and 94% that is amazing, what tips could you give me in order to get that? I got 55/70 which was 1 mark of an A which was annoying, I found out I got full marks in the quantum and particles bit and totally messed up in the electristy bit :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
90% and 94% that is amazing, what tips could you give me in order to get that? I got 55/70 which was 1 mark of an A which was annoying, I found out I got full marks in the quantum and particles bit and totally messed up in the electristy bit :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same really, had full marks up till Q4, lost 2 marks on the question above, other 4 here and there worded questions. Tips would be just make sure you really understand everything going on in a circuit, I myself didn't completely know which is why i lost marks :smile:
Reply 19
Would you mind attaching the mark scheme here?

Quick Reply

Latest