The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

This is particularly ominous; from the General Staff of the Korean People's Army:

The General Staff of the Korean People's Army said it was formally informing Washington that US threats would be "smashed by... cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means".

Source

What? Now what on Earth does that mean? Is that simply rhetoric again? If it's rhetoric and puffed bluffing, then we can see why North Korea would want to appear to have more resources at hand than they actually have.

But if it's not.... it's quite specific - "cutting-edge". Unless of course it's still way behind the rest of the world, but North Korea believes their their "new" tech to be "cutting edge". Hmmm...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HumanSupremacist
OK, since I don't want to constantly keep on posting breaking news in different threads, I thought I'd make a main constantly updated thread where I or others can post breaking news on North Korea as and when they come (***so, Mods, could you absorb my recent North Korean threads into this one***).

So, the first new update is this (and it's certainly no rhetoric):

Source: North Korea seen moving mid-range missile to east coast:reports

Wow. If true and legitimate, what do you guys think of that? That's certainly no rhetoric - that's real actions (which could be implied to be preparation for an attack, no?)

What do you think?

The West should vote to wipe them out. Seriously, wipe them out and the problem is solved.

*** In all seriousness, things are getting out of control. One spark could ignite a wildfire.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sir, it was a joke. :facepalm:
lol.jpg

It's official, North Korea's Navy has set off for the US.
Reply 144
Original post by TaylorGang_4
lol.jpg

It's official, North Korea's Navy has set off for the US.

This isn't Reddit.
Reply 145
Original post by HumanSupremacist
This is particularly ominous; from the General Staff of the Korean People's Army:

Source

What? Now what on Earth does that mean? Is that simply rhetoric again? If it's rhetoric and puffed bluffing, then we can see why North Korea would want to appear to have more resources at hand than they actually have.

But if it's not.... it's quite specific - "cutting-edge". Unless of course it's still way behind the rest of the world, but North Korea believes their their "new" tech to be "cutting edge". Hmmm...

Sounds to me like there going for one of the US islands in the region.

China in my opinion would be more than justified by the UNSC in tearing down this regime, North Korea can no longer be permitted to exist as an autocratic state.
Reply 146
Surely North Korea can't be serious. Don't they realise what the short term AND long term implications of starting a nuclear war are? It's absolutely ridiculous.
The whole world is going to fall to pieces over North Korea's pride.
Personally I think no country should be allowed to hold nuclear or atomic weapons because it gives them the opportunity to use them, even if they don't have a valid reason.
Original post by Rakas21
Sounds to me like there going for one of the US islands in the region.

China in my opinion would be more than justified by the UNSC in tearing down this regime, North Korea can no longer be permitted to exist as an autocratic state.

Yeah China would have the capability to do it, but if they do they'll get a big chunk of NK's 25 million people flooding over the border, and they can't handle that.
Reply 148
Original post by laraali1
Surely North Korea can't be serious. Don't they realise what the short term AND long term implications of starting a nuclear war are? It's absolutely ridiculous.
The whole world is going to fall to pieces over North Korea's pride.
Personally I think no country should be allowed to hold nuclear or atomic weapons because it gives them the opportunity to use them, even if they don't have a valid reason.

And how would you suggest preventing a country like North Korea from possessing such weaponry?
I don't like war. Too many suffer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 150
North Korea have a history off throwing their toys off a pram at every major exercise in the peninsula.

Whatever may happen, Every provocative word the fat idiot says will help America sell more F-35s..

And they need to do so due to the low demand from Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
Original post by Mockery
And how would you suggest preventing a country like North Korea from possessing such weaponry?

Unfortunately I know it's a bit too late for that, but just generally speaking nuclear weapons were a bad idea from the very start.
Original post by Rakas21
Word is that Chinese troops and vehicles are now amassing on the North Korean border.

Source?
Reply 153
Even South Korea isn't afraid of what the North is saying, I think it's just all talk, no country is so stupid to take on the US like that.

Anyone disagree
Reply 154
North Korea is a militarised zone of Korea. It is Communistic. It engages in propaganda and the leader is surrounded by mythology as to a god. Like most Communist states it is a dictatorial regime. It is an oppressor.

But how do we interpret their current military posturing? Obviously, it doesn't like the US. What was the outcome of Madaleine Albright's visit there in 2000? A: to monitor their nuclear capabilities and missiles program. So America went to N. Korea and got involved, all the while when America already had nuclear capabilities (lesson: you cannot have nuclear weapons but we can).

It was G. Bush who called N. Korea the "axis" of evil in 2004 (I think) pretty much the same words used by Reagan towards the Soviet Union during his administration.

Has America tweaked N. Korea's nose at any point? Could this threat, which now hangs over America, have been avoided if they had just left them alone? Could they have left them alone? America believes that it alone can police the world, but in that state of affairs some nations won't accept that, they won't accept American imperialis, and they will retaliate. Perhaps N. Korea is just too slow to retalliate, but will eventually get there given the right conditions. And if America keeps poking their nose where it is not wanted this can only stoke the fires.

If America is attacked by N. Korea, can America be resolved from all blame?

Remember this back in 2006:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/09/AR2006100901130.html

That's just seven years ago. I know they have a new leader now though. Why doesn't N. Korea want to attack the UK? Have they included the UK in their plan to attack America?

Could this latest show of definance against the US be N. Korea's attempt to assert the supremacy of its leader like it did in the not-so-distant past:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/07/albright.qanda/index.html?_s=PM:WORLD
Empty threat
To be honest i think there threats are empty analysis-ts suggest that they are way off from building a war head so there best bet to effect the US is most likely going to be economically like they have done with south Korea they recently blocked access to some work plaza thing which brought in a lot of money and trade a year.

Or perhaps they invade south Korea but they have the US helping them so the chances of north Korea doing anything they could be considered an act of war is slim.
Its south Korea i feel most sorry for to be honest, they have had to put up with them for years :/
Well the problem with bluster is that if enough people gather round and start laughing at you, you eventually snap and do it just to show them.

Personally I think it's an empty threat for now, but if the US keeps responding agressively then it might get to the point where NK has to do something, or risk embarassing itself to its own population.

I think the US is probably spoiling for a fight, because if NK finally snaps then they'll have an excuse to remove it, and make the whole region a far calmer environment, maybe give it over to SK's leadership?
The former British Ambassador seems to think that it could escalate further. Obviously, his word isn't proof, but he is inevitably better informed on the issue than the vast majority.

From the Today programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22024260
Reply 159
Original post by ConsiderScience
To be honest i think there threats are empty analysis-ts suggest that they are way off from building a war head so there best bet to effect the US is most likely going to be economically like they have done with south Korea they recently blocked access to some work plaza thing which brought in a lot of money and trade a year.

Or perhaps they invade south Korea but they have the US helping them so the chances of north Korea doing anything they could be considered an act of war is slim.
Its south Korea i feel most sorry for to be honest, they have had to put up with them for years :/

I too think that N. Korea are just trying to assert the supremacy of the new leader. But you never know. The new leader may just be a psychopath.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending