The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

shops

What shops are there on campus? Is it practical to buy all food and toiletries without going into town and are the prices on campus at a premium compared to a regular supermarket?
Reply 1
It is possible and it is more expensive, but except for meat it's not horrendously more.

On campus there are two SU run shops (one is a convenience type store with your standard bread, milk, cheese, meat, veg and so on, the other is more like sandwiches and academic supplies) there's also a Spar which is more reasonably priced and has a better selection.

I hardly ever went into town for food in my first year, but I also ate pretty unhealthily.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi there!

The same as Manitude has said; there are two LUSU (Lancaster University Students' Union) run shops; LUSU Central, the convenience store, and another shop that everyone just refers to as LUSU, which has the sandwiches and academic supplies.

The Spar, like previously said, is more reasonably priced.

However for myself personally, and many of my friends, we get our shopping delivered. It's much less hassle! I'd rather pay the £3-4 delivery charge and not have to struggle dragging everything back with me.

Every Wednesday there are free buses to Sainsburys in town, and free buses back. However they tend to get very full.

Personally I think getting your shopping delivered is the way to go!

There are also smaller food outlets on campus: Greggs, Sultans (does takeaway food), a fish and chip shop, Pizetta (takeaway food again) as well as a Subway which will be opening soon. On top of that, most of the college bars around campus offer food, including Cartmel, which offers the best food on campus! (Not biased at all :tongue:)

There is also the option of becoming a catered student, if you so wish.
Reply 3
I like to eat healthily. I wouldn't eat takeaways.

I would be interested in the catered option but I don't think it is worth it due to the cost:

Looking at the catered ensuite at Cartmel, for example, is another £40 per week for 40 weeks but catering is only available for 31 weeks.
£40 a week extra is expensive enough but to have to pay for 9 weeks more when it is not available is extortionate. Also it is 2 meals a day and not 3.
Original post by Rick Grimes
I like to eat healthily. I wouldn't eat takeaways.

I would be interested in the catered option but I don't think it is worth it due to the cost:

Looking at the catered ensuite at Cartmel, for example, is another £40 per week for 40 weeks but catering is only available for 31 weeks.
£40 a week extra is expensive enough but to have to pay for 9 weeks more when it is not available is extortionate. Also it is 2 meals a day and not 3.

Hi again!

The reason catering is available for 31 weeks despite the 40 week let, is because the 9 weeks it's not available for are in the holidays throughout the academic year.

Most students, especially at Christmas, go home, and therefore the catering is not needed. It simply wouldn't be profitable for catering to be open when there would be so few students to feed. Also, the staff also get their holiday then, so it would be a struggle to find anyone to work.

And again, catering only offers breakfast and an evening meal because during the day, students have lectures and seminars at all different times; which would mean that many students wouldn't actually make the allotted time for lunch, even if they had paid for it. Breakfast and the evening meal are placed at times that students are guaranteed to be free from lectures and seminars.

Additionally, £40 a week may not be too bad when you think about how much you may potentially spend on a weekly shop anyway. I know for myself, I spend at least £50-60 a week. However of course, that differs from person to person.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending