The Student Room Group

Do the course that I prefer or go to the university that I prefer?

I've received two offers from Manchester and Queen Mary. I much prefer the course at Manchester (it's a joint hons which I really really like the sound of) but I don't really like the place (at all!). However, the course at Queen Mary isn't a joint hons, but I really liked the idea of being in London, and I preferred this university. Could you help me decide which one to go to?
EDIT: could you please not quote me as I plan on deleting this post in a couple of days time as I don't want anybody finding me on here:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do the course you prefer at Manchester. Right now you may think you hate it, but I imagine you will very quickly grow to like the city just as much as London (plus it's cheaper). However, the chances of you growing to like your course are slimmer.
Reply 2
Do the course you prefer without a doubt!
Reply 3
Original post by 11:11
I've received two offers from Manchester and Queen Mary. I much prefer the course at Manchester (it's a joint hons which I really really like the sound of) but I don't really like the place (at all!). However, the course at Queen Mary isn't a joint hons, but I really liked the idea of being in London, and I preferred this university. Could you help me decide which one to go to?
EDIT: could you please not quote me as I plan on deleting this post in a couple of days time as I don't want anybody finding me on here:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess 11:11 is a fairly unique name, then again I rather suspect it's not your real name.
Reply 4
Original post by James82
I guess 11:11 is a fairly unique name, then again I rather suspect it's not your real name.

So you quoted me. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What are the courses?
Is the one at QM still similar? Because if it is, and you like the uni, that could be the better option. You'll have a good course and a good uni.

However if you absolutely don't want the QM course, and you really want to do the Manc one, you'd be smart to go to Manchester. The city will grow on you, you'll make friends and you will enjoy yourself.
Reply 6
So you quoted me. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem.
Reply 7
Original post by laraali1
What are the courses?
Is the one at QM still similar? Because if it is, and you like the uni, that could be the better option. You'll have a good course and a good uni.

However if you absolutely don't want the QM course, and you really want to do the Manc one, you'd be smart to go to Manchester. The city will grow on you, you'll make friends and you will enjoy yourself.

The course at Manchester is Management (Marketing), at Queen Mary it's Business Management. I want to go into marketing/promotion/PR afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Go for the course you prefer. The whole point of university is to go and study a course that you're interested in which will lead you on to the job you want. People shouldn't be going to university just for the place itself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
London! Both courses will help you find your way into the career you want so keep that in mind! With the joint honours, I'm sure you'll be too busy focusing on your other degree and embracing London to care! Also, when you finish the degree, there will be alot more job opportunities in London:biggrin: go for London!
Reply 10
The course at Manchester is Management (Marketing), at Queen Mary it's Business Management. I want to go into marketing/promotion/PR afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check out the modules offered at QM, you might find that you have the chance to take some Marketing-related courses that would help you move your career towards that area.
Personally I'd say go for QM because the Business Management course is perhaps broader and will give ou more opportunities later, but at the same time if you're absolutely set on Marketing, Manchester could be good because it shows commitment to that course.

It's a hard decision haa, but I'm sure you'll do great either way. They are both fantastic universities so it's win-win imo.
:smile:
Reply 11
Thanks everyone. I'm just a bit undecided because although the course is more suitable at Manchester, the location is more suitable at queen mary for when it comes to work experience. I'm slightly worried about the degree "business management" being classes as a 'doss' degree too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although the course is the most important thing (as they say) you won't perform to your best if you hate were you are I went to Portsmouth the course was right but I wasn't happy in the place and failed almost every unit (or if I'd stayed I would have). I left and Went to solent where I was happy and did much better.

The point is go where you feel happy or you wont pass.
Reply 13
Thanks everyone. Any more opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think you'd be happier in London then you're more likely to do well at QM.

Career wise if you want to get into PR/marketing then either would be fine - but if you'd want to live and work in london after you graduate then it makes sense to use your time at uni to get settled in the city and make contacts with potential employers.

The courses are similar enough that it shouldn't make any real difference to employers - relevent experience and good marks in relevent modules matter more than having a degree title that matches your desired job title.

Quick Reply

Latest