The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades good enough for Oxbridge?

I know A Levels are more important but I am unsure if my GCSE grades are good enough.

I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, Chemistry and Physics and General Studies (compulsory, I know it doesn't count for anything) at A Level.

At Gcse I got:
Maths = A*
Statistics = A*
Eng Lit = A*
Eng Lang = A*
Bio=A
Chem=A
Physics=A
IT=A
RE=A
History=B
German=B (I am retaking my German as I got A*s in both pieces of coursework but got moderated down to an A and a B.

So yeah, are these GCSE's good enough to get in to a competitive course?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by edsjay23
I know A Levels are more important but I am unsure if my GCSE grades are good enough.

I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, Chemistry and Physics and General Studies (compulsory, I know it doesn't count for anything) at A Level.

At Gcse I got:
Maths = A*
Statistics = A*
Eng Lit = A*
Eng Lang = A*
Bio=A
Chem=A
Physics=A
IT=A
RE=A
History=B
German=B (I am retaking my German as I got A*s in both pieces of coursework but got moderated down to an A and a B.

1. What course?
2. Which university? (from oxbridge)
3. Your gcses look fine, you have A*'s in some of the toughest subjects, alevels matter more
Reply 2

At Gcse I got:
Maths = A*
Statistics = A*
Eng Lit = A*
Eng Lang = A*
Bio=A
Chem=A
Physics=A
IT=A
RE=A
History=B

If you're applying for German/History, then there may be a problem, otherwise do well in your AS exams and you'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 3
Try this thread.

But in summary, Oxford usually want more A*'s while Cambridge care more for your A-Level UMS.
Original post by Vian
Try this thread.

But in summary, Oxford usually want more A*'s while Cambridge care more for your A-Level UMS.

Oh right, thank you for your reply. Do you know how many A*s Oxford generally want?

Great. Thank you for your reply :smile:
Original post by Robbie242
1. What course?
2. Which university? (from oxbridge)
3. Your gcses look fine, you have A*'s in some of the toughest subjects, alevels matter more

Hey you're the guy who helped me with my C2 question. Hey again :smile:
I would prefer to do Computer Science or Natural Medicine, or dentistry. I would prefer Cambridge but wouldn't really be fussed. Is there a minimum requirement at GCSE for Oxford?
Reply 8

At Gcse I got:
Maths = A*
Statistics = A*
Eng Lit = A*
Eng Lang = A*
Bio=A
Chem=A
Physics=A
IT=A
RE=A
History=B

Unless you want to apply for medicine or something I'd say so, I got an offer from Cambridge with only 2 A*s (the rest As) so you should be fine :smile:
Original post by \/ibhav
If you're applying for German/History, then there may be a problem, otherwise do well in your AS exams and you'll be absolutely fine.

Oh right thanks. I'm doing my German again but definitely not doing either at University especially History. Thanks for your reply.
Reply 10
Hey you're the guy who helped me with my C2 question. Hey again :smile:
I would prefer to do Computer Science or Natural Medicine, or dentistry. I would prefer Cambridge but wouldn't really be fussed. Is there a minimum requirement at GCSE for Oxford?

Hey there!
For Cambridge read this:

''With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.''

Source: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html
Oxford are the only ones who kick up a fuss about gcses, so try to get over 90ums and your good to go!
(edited 11 years ago)
I would say yes those being very good grades i am sure a lot of places will accept you even if they don't.

Good luck :)
Reply 12
Original post by Quest
Oxford are usually more demanding when it comes to GCSEs, I think they usually want 6A* or more on average. Cambridge is more lenient with GCSEs and impressive grades at A-Level will more than compensate for so-so GCSE grades. As long as you have A*s, As and maybe the odd B (which you do) I doubt you'd be at a major disadvantage in the application process to Oxbridge - just push on with A-Levels, work as hard as you can a shoot for a 90+ UMS average across all four of your A-Level subjects.
Aim for 90 in all 4, but by no means is it a requirement for Cambridge, 90+ums in your three most relevant subjects, but stellar advice though
Reply 13
Don't worry about GCSE's. As long as you have a good bunch of A's and A*'s, especially in relevant subjects, you'll be fine. Worry about your AS marks.
Original post by Etoile
Unless you want to apply for medicine or something I'd say so, I got an offer from Cambridge with only 2 A*s (the rest As) so you should be fine :smile:

Oh right thanks. Congratulations on your offer btw. Do you know how many A*s are necessary to do medicine at Cambridge?
Original post by ConsiderScience
I would say yes those being very good grades i am sure a lot of places will accept you even if they don't.

Good luck :)

Oh right, thank you. I hope you do brilliant in whatever you want to do :wink:
Original post by Robbie242
Hey there!
For Cambridge read this:

''With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge, and there is no minimum number of A* grades required for any of our courses.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.''

Source: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html
Oxford are the only ones who kick up a fuss about gcses, so try to get over 90ums and your good to go!

Oh right thank you very much once again :smile:
Original post by Quest
Oxford are usually more demanding when it comes to GCSEs, I think they usually want 6A* or more on average. Cambridge is more lenient with GCSEs and impressive grades at A-Level will more than compensate for so-so GCSE grades.

As long as you have A*s, As and maybe the odd B (which you do) I doubt you'd be at a major disadvantage in the application process to Cambridge (it might be a little disadvantageous in an Oxford application - but nothing stellar A-Level results couldn't circumvent) - just push on with A-Levels, work as hard as you can and shoot for a 90+ UMS average across all four of your A-Level subjects.

Ok, thanks for your reply. :smile:
Reply 18
Oh right thank you very much once again :smile:
No worries! I used to obsess about gcses as well (majority of B's and C's) but realised that alevels matter far more, do well now and your on track for success :smile:
Original post by GeneralOJB
Don't worry about GCSE's. As long as you have a good bunch of A's and A*'s, especially in relevant subjects, you'll be fine. Worry about your AS marks.

Okay I am going to do as much as I can to get good grades in them, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending