The Student Room Group

Biology at A Level. What should I do?

I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, Chemistry and Physics and General Studies (compulsory, I know it doesn't count for anything) at A Level.

At Gcse I got:
Maths = A*
Statistics = A*
Eng Lit = A*
Eng Lang = A*
Bio=A
Chem=A
Physics=A
IT=A
RE=A
History=B
German=B (I am retaking my German as I got A*s in both pieces of coursework but got moderated down to an A and a B.

(My GCSE grades for reference I guess)

I was unable to do Biology at the time in September due to the blocking system at my school. I know to do medicine or dentistry etc. you need have Biology and Chemistry preferably to A2.

I am 17 and in my AS year, and I have my exams in May and June. I know its far too late to do anything about Biology now. But is it possible for me to do the whole Biology A Level next year and what wold be the process for applying to University.

If I am to do this I feel I only have two options. Do the whole Biology A Level next year, or study for a third year at Sixth Form and do Biology over two years, where I would probably do Economics and IT in this case.

Can someone please give me any advice in what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
what are you wanting to do at uni? And how come you are taking so many as levels?
Reply 2
If you want to do medicine then you only need chemistry and *one other science* which includes physics and maths usually, so i wouldnt worry or overburden yourself anymore.
Check on the websites of the medical schools you want to apply to/ think you will apply to and look at the entry requirements, very few specify needing biology! :smile:

Also, i wouldnt stay 3 years, it makes you look like a resit applicant which can be disasterous for your application - medical schools use everything to distinguish between candidates, and staying 3 years at 6th form often means that medical schools might not accept your application - check the websites for their resit policy :smile:
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SophieL1996
what are you wanting to do at uni? And how come you are taking so many as levels?

Not really sure atm. Thinking about maybe dentistry, medicine or computer science :smile:
Original post by Sam:)
If you want to do medicine then you only need chemistry and *one other science* which includes physics and maths usually, so i wouldnt worry or overburden yourself anymore.
Check on the websites of the medical schools you want to apply to/ think you will apply to and look at the entry requirements, very few specify needing biology! :smile:

Also, i wouldnt stay 3 years, it makes you look like a resit applicant which can be disasterous for your application - medical schools use everything to distinguish between candidates, and staying 3 years at 6th form often means that medical schools might not accept your application - check the websites for their resit policy :smile:

Thank you for your reply. I am just wondering if I did more A Levels such as about 6 or 7 overall, without retaking any, over a 3 year period would it look bad?
Original post by edsjay23
Thank you for your reply. I am just wondering if I did more A Levels such as about 6 or 7 overall, without retaking any, over a 3 year period would it look bad?

I would say that you really don't need to, as that is way too much.
Reply 6
I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, Chemistry and Physics and General Studies (compulsory, I know it doesn't count for anything) at A Level.

At Gcse I got:
Maths = A*
Statistics = A*
Eng Lit = A*
Eng Lang = A*
Bio=A
Chem=A
Physics=A
IT=A
RE=A
History=B
German=B (I am retaking my German as I got A*s in both pieces of coursework but got moderated down to an A and a B.

(My GCSE grades for reference I guess)

I was unable to do Biology at the time in September due to the blocking system at my school. I know to do medicine or dentistry etc. you need have Biology and Chemistry preferably to A2.

I am 17 and in my AS year, and I have my exams in May and June. I know its far too late to do anything about Biology now. But is it possible for me to do the whole Biology A Level next year and what wold be the process for applying to University.

If I am to do this I feel I only have two options. Do the whole Biology A Level next year, or study for a third year at Sixth Form and do Biology over two years, where I would probably do Economics and IT in this case.

Can someone please give me any advice in what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

From the other thread (I'm AS level) It is certainly possible, but is it necessary? If you have an invested passion in Biology then go for it, but staying an extra year? That's not going to look good for some subjects at Camb... One thing to consider is your set of alevels are literally perfect for Cambridges course, so why stress yourself out more to get an extra alevel, Cambridge want a focused candidate, not one who can pack as many alevels in as possible. For the record I self-taught all of further maths to myself, although slightly different I think you could self-teach bio, but imo its not worth it.
Original post by Robbie242
From the other thread (I'm AS level) It is certainly possible, but is it necessary? If you have an invested passion in Biology then go for it, but staying an extra year? That's not going to look good for some subjects at Camb... One thing to consider is your set of alevels are literally perfect for Cambridges course, so why stress yourself out more to get an extra alevel, Cambridge want a focused candidate, not one who can pack as many alevels in as possible. For the record I self-taught all of further maths to myself, although slightly different I think you could self-teach bio, but imo its not worth it.

Ok, thanks for all your advice Robbie :wink:
Reply 8
Ok, thanks for all your advice Robbie :wink:
No problem! :smile:
Reply 9
Defo not, medical schools make a point of only looking at 3 a levels, otherwise it becomes eliteist because some schools wouldn't give students a chance of doing more than 3 ALevels - there's alot of bad press about medicine only being for posh kids, so in most medical schools as long as you get AAA including chemistry it doenst matter what else you have academically, it's all about UKCAT, work experience and personality; for medicine grades are of minimal imporatance in the overall system (except for Birmingham, and Oxbridge and a few more)

Reply 10
If I was in your position I would just do AS level Biology next year! You already ahve more than enough sciences at A level to get into med! Hope this helps!
Original post by Sam:)
Defo not, medical schools make a point of only looking at 3 a levels, otherwise it becomes eliteist because some schools wouldn't give students a chance of doing more than 3 ALevels - there's alot of bad press about medicine only being for posh kids, so in most medical schools as long as you get AAA including chemistry it doenst matter what else you have academically, it's all about UKCAT, work experience and personality; for medicine grades are of minimal imporatance in the overall system (except for Birmingham, and Oxbridge and a few more)

Alright, thank you :smile:
Original post by Katieh007
If I was in your position I would just do AS level Biology next year! You already ahve more than enough sciences at A level to get into med! Hope this helps!

Ok thank you. Good luck to you in what you are doing. :smile:
Although I hate to admit it, because I love Biology, it's getting hammered as hard as Psychology and Sociology nowadays in terms of difficulty etc. Biology is always at the butt end of jokes in my small Physics class. I say this because a lot of university courses that you would think need Biology at A Level in fact don't, one of the most surprising being Biomedical Science. You don't need Biology for medicine either in most cases.

If you like it, take it. I took Biology AS this year and I'm 23 and pretty much forgot everything from school but I still love it, but the previous posts about Chemistry being the most important is very correct.
Original post by ThrashMetal
Although I hate to admit it, because I love Biology, it's getting hammered as hard as Psychology and Sociology nowadays in terms of difficulty etc. Biology is always at the butt end of jokes in my small Physics class. I say this because a lot of university courses that you would think need Biology at A Level in fact don't, one of the most surprising being Biomedical Science. You don't need Biology for medicine either in most cases.

If you like it, take it. I took Biology AS this year and I'm 23 and pretty much forgot everything from school but I still love it, but the previous posts about Chemistry being the most important is very correct.

Ok thanks for your advice, good luck in your A2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending