The Student Room Group

Could YOU live off £53 a week

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randymandy
has anyone here ever heard of aldi? I can do my entire shop for the week for about 10 quid, penne 30p, pasta sauce 30p, garlic bread 30p, mozzarella 45p bam about 3 dinners sorted for less than £1.50, get yourself a chocolate bar 30p and youll have no complaints. I don't understand students that shop in M&S while their parents work 9-5 trying to foot their bills

Better yet are wholesales, get everyone in the house to put £20 in and you can order restaurant quality food all week and not spend a penny more. Usually have some left over for some sweets and stuff too :smile:
I probably could If I had to. But I'd like to see IDS to it first.
Reply 42
Original post by Martyn*
Well it is difficult and even more difficult if you have to pay electric, gas, water, etc. I currently live in a bedsit and don't have to pay any bills except add £8 per week to the rent. It is difficult and you have to really watch your money. Sometimes you will run out of money and you may have to dip into the rent money, but claw it back later. Sometimes you won't have to. Remember that politician who went on that programme to see if he could live on JSA for a week or so. He lasted a couple of days.

The issue is that IDS doesn't have to live off £53 per week. He doesn't have to. I can easily say in comparison with IDS's statement, that I could sow seeds in a field in the middle of the Sahara and try to live off that if my life depended upon it. I don't have to though. The reality of me finding myself in that position is extremely slim. The reality of IDS finding himself in that position now is extremely slim.

Martyn, are you unemployed?
My rent, gas, electricity, water and Internet/ phone bill cost me £52.11 a week. As a student I'm currently not paying council tax. My BF's dad pays our tv licence and my mum covers my mobile phone contract.

Assuming we are not counting rent, £9.51 goes to bills. £20 for a week bus travel can get me everywhere I need to go, assuming I can no longer afford to run a car. That leaves me with £20 for food and £3.49 spare. I'm not taking into account my direct debits.

I am sharing a house with 3 other people, so bills and Internet/ phone are split 4 ways. I'm getting support from parents, not having to pay council tax and I split a food shop with my bf so it is cheaper for me anyway.

At the moment, yes I could live on £53, but I have the comfort of being a student. If I was job seeking, single and back home in Essex I believe I would struggle.
Reply 44
Original post by Steevee
Martyn, are you unemployed?

I took leave of my full-time job in February just gone.
I think anyone can manage £53 a week - try doing it for several months then come back to this thread.
Original post by Kibalchich
Mmmmmm, healthy.

It's not too unhealthy, and if you were on JSA, or had little money, you'd be worried more about eating than you would keeping healthy.

I live with my parents, so most of my money comes from them, but if I lived by myself (and the house was owned by the council or something) I doubt I'd be able to have all the 'luxuries' that I can afford now, stuff like Spotify Premium (you can use Spotify for free regardless) and Netflix. Unlimited internet costs about £25 along with a £15 landline rental, and my mobile phone bill is about £15 a month. I'm 15 too, if I was in my 20s and claiming JSA, I suppose I could use Spotify for free, watch movies online, buy my food from Lidl and eat a lot of pasta as that probably isn't too different, drink water instead of Coke, and then I'd want to buy a TV license and pay home insurance, this and that tax, I wouldn't have to worry about car insurance as I wouldn't be able to afford a car, and there you go, I'd probably be well over the limit anyway.
Reply 47
Original post by Martyn*
I took leave of my full-time job in February just gone.

I see.
Reply 48
Original post by Steevee
I see.

I could not handle the daily pyschological warfare and the constant and needless monitoring any longer, and so I asked them to put me down as being no longer suitable for the job. Even though it was a housekeeping job, I could not handle being blamed for managereal incompetency. That and other things besides.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
If i was in this situation i dont think id be able to. That money has to be spent on council tax, tv licencing, gas/electric, water bill, food, clothes, travel fare and here in London that is so expensive, toiletries, cleaning products etc etc.. I know someone on benefits and they no where near find it easy. They have to pay £14 council tax alone. IDS cannot make a statement like that when he hasnt and probably will never be in that situation.. I mean as a student i could definately survive on that amountbut thats without bills like gas, water, electric, council tax etc. Theres no way you could have internet, a contract phone, a landline , sky tv
(edited 11 years ago)
I love how everyone is listing what they would spend if they wanted to have the bare minimum, and in their list of 'necessities' they include non-vital luxuries like mobile phone, Internet and cleaning products.

How on earth do other animals survive without such essentials :rolleyes: .

Not saying the £53 malarkey is a good idea AT ALL, but a lot of you seem to have a highly consumeristic stance on what you think should be your god-given right as a human being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Easily. If you've already got rent covered then £53 shouldn't be too hard to live off. My personal food bill comes to £20 a week and i could probably cut that down if i snacked a little less :P Have a pay as you go phone on ee and i only have to top up £10 every 3 months. If you're careful to keep your utility bills down and walk instead of driving it should be fine

Students live off much less that £53 a week all the time!
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I don't know, for students I'd think anyone living on that much a week was living a bit excessively to be honest.

This is exactly how I see it, asking on a student website £53 pw is alot, whereas when you have to worry about filling a house, putting money aside, eating etc etc all on your own it's not that much and you'd be knocked off your feet at the first bit of bad luck.

£53 a week is very little for a student tbh
Reply 53
Original post by Martyn*
I could not handle the daily pyschological warfare and the constant and needless monitoring any longer, and so I asked them to put me down as being no longer suitable for the job. Even though it was a housekeeping job, I could not handle being blamed for managereal incompetency. That and other things besides.

Right, you couldn't hold down a job. There's no need for the babble, I've not written anything judging you, though you have rather opened yourself up to judgement with that comment.
Reply 54
I doubt it. I put more than that in the fuel tank every week for starters!
Original post by Beth_L_G
Easily. If you've already got rent covered then £53 shouldn't be too hard to live off. My personal food bill comes to £20 a week and i could probably cut that down if i snacked a little less :P Have a pay as you go phone on ee and i only have to top up £10 every 3 months. If you're careful to keep your utility bills down and walk instead of driving it should be fine

Students live off much less that £53 a week all the time!

I don't know where people are getting this stereotype from.

Most of the students I know are able to easily afford to go out once a week(on average) plus food, phone and what not.

We're in halls at the moment so no bills.

I do my weekly shop on £14.

Spend a tenner on Monday's in the pub.

Then maybe a couple of nights out at £25 each.

Phone costs me £2 a week

I don't really buy clothes. I've stopped growing so my clothes last a while. If I want some extra smart things for going out I spend gift money on that(christmas and my birthday are very close so I always have quite a bit to spend in the Jan sales)

So that's £76 a week expenditure, and that in itself is about half of my budget, so minus what I spend on impulse coffees and chocolate bars and any random expenses like birthday presents for people, and whatever I have left(Almost always > £60) goes into savings for paying my own rent next year to reduce the burden on my parents.
Reply 56
Original post by Bronco2012
I don't know where people are getting this stereotype from.

Most of the students I know are able to easily afford to go out once a week(on average) plus food, phone and what not.

We're in halls at the moment so no bills.

I do my weekly shop on £14.

Spend a tenner on Monday's in the pub.

Then maybe a couple of nights out at £25 each.

Phone costs me £2 a week

I don't really buy clothes. I've stopped growing so my clothes last a while. If I want some extra smart things for going out I spend gift money on that(christmas and my birthday are very close so I always have quite a bit to spend in the Jan sales)

So that's £76 a week expenditure, and that in itself is about half of my budget, so minus what I spend on impulse coffees and chocolate bars and any random expenses like birthday presents for people, and whatever I have left(Almost always > £60) goes into savings for paying my own rent next year to reduce the burden on my parents.

I'm a student and I do it. I don't need to but i like to save up and then splash out once every few months

There is really no need to spend that much on a night out I find. I have a couple of drinks with friends before going out, If you buy a bottle of vodka and a litre of diet coke from tesco £10 can last me a whole months drinking (I'm a lightweight) Then only have 1 of the cheapest drink while I'm out, so the whole night costs me about £7, and I do that once a week.

If you're in the position where you have to live off of £53 a week then you really shouldn't be wasting it on nights out drinking. Not saying they shouldnt be allowed a social life, just learn to do it on a budget
Original post by Bronco2012
You know that practically everyone gets one of the two at least?(I get both)

I honestly know one person who lives solely from his student loan.

Really? Where do you go to university? Admittedly I get the maximum maintenance loan, but I've always found it's enough to keep me without having to take on part time work or ask my mum for money ^^
Original post by Beth_L_G
I'm a student and I do it. I don't need to but i like to save up and then splash out once every few months

There is really no need to spend that much on a night out I find. I have a couple of drinks with friends before going out, If you buy a bottle of vodka and a litre of diet coke from tesco £10 can last me a whole months drinking (I'm a lightweight) Then only have 1 of the cheapest drink while I'm out, so the whole night costs me about £7, and I do that once a week.

If you're in the position where you have to live off of £53 a week then you really shouldn't be wasting it on nights out drinking. Not saying they shouldnt be allowed a social life, just learn to do it on a budget

To be fair I've drank so much in the last year that I need an awful lot to feel drunk.

I also mix the hell out of spirits so I spent a lot on coke and sprite.

Thankfully I'm in the position where I can easily afford to go out 2 or 3 times a week but without my parents help I wouldn't be in this scenario, in saying that my parents help me because student finance tell them they should, so if they earned less per year, I'd get a higher loan.
Original post by Bella_trixxx
Really? Where do you go to university? Admittedly I get the maximum maintenance loan, but I've always found it's enough to keep me without having to take on part time work or ask my mum for money ^^

I'm at Heriot-Watt, the vast majority of my friends get help from their parents, I live in the cheapest halls if that makes any difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending