The Student Room Group

English Literature 22nd+24th May 2013

Hello

So you have probably come to this thread due to the title- no one has made a thread yet!

So i was wondering what novels are you doing and thought we could share exemplar answers and compare essays since there are barely any online.

I've pretty much self taught with the aid of this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WCSEnglish?feature=watch
http://wscenglishresources.blogspot.com.au/
^^ absolutely amazing

I'm doing OMAM and LOTF // for poetry - conflict cluster

So yeah...

Ryan
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jatz07
Pretty cool resource! I'm doing OMAM, Sunlight on the grass stories, Macbeth and Animal Farm

Any A* exemplar material? (particularly for macbeth)

Jatz

^^ lots of stuff on OMAM

not sure about the rest

this thread is really going isnt it lol

have you tried doing any proper exam questions yet?? - like practice essays??

ive done about 2 and i noticed im absolutely sh*t at it... reading over my stuff is horrible
i feel as if im going to fail - and thats not good

one thing ive learnt though is to plan!! - its helping me a lot!!

have you got any tricks/tips??

ryan
Reply 2
Original post by ryanb97
Hello

So you have probably come to this thread due to the title- no one has made a thread yet!

So i was wondering what novels are you doing and thought we could share exemplar answers and compare essays since there are barely any online.

I've pretty much self taught with the aid of this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WCSEnglish?feature=watch
^^ absolutely amazing

I'm doing OMAM and LOTF // for poetry - conflict cluster

So yeah...

Ryan

I'm doing TKAM & An Inspector Calls
Poetry - Relationships

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by stephbo
I'm doing TKAM & An Inspector Calls
Poetry - Relationships

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow thats totally different

HAve you started doing practice essays yet??

ryan
Reply 4
Original post by ryanb97
Oh wow thats totally different

HAve you started doing practice essays yet??

ryan

I know only my set's doing TKAM everyone else is doing OMAM.

Erm, not really I'm still annotating and making notes, however in class we've done some mini essays in class and they seem to be going well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by stephbo
I know only my set's doing TKAM everyone else is doing OMAM.

Erm, not really I'm still annotating and making notes, however in class we've done some mini essays in class and they seem to be going well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow.. our class only stated English literature in january and we havent done our C/A yet - only 8 weeks til the exam ,,, currently hoping not to fail but i want an A atlaest..hbu?

did you do the language paper in Jan13/Jun12 ?/

ryan
Reply 6
Original post by ryanb97
wow.. our class only stated English literature in january and we havent done our C/A yet - only 8 weeks til the exam ,,, currently hoping not to fail but i want an A atlaest..hbu?

did you do the language paper in Jan13/Jun12 ?/

ryan

We done our coursework in year 10 I got 38/40 which is 100 UMS I think so aiming for a good A in the exam to total to an A* at the end.

Nah, we never they only let the lower sets do it, wbu? We have to do the AQA and IGCSE -___-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
not looking frward to the literature exam revsion, poem after poem after poem, then you realise that there are two novels to study and know well before the exams as well
Reply 8
Original post by stephbo
We done our coursework in year 10 I got 38/40 which is 100 UMS I think so aiming for a good A in the exam to total to an A* at the end.

Nah, we never they only let the lower sets do it, wbu? We have to do the AQA and IGCSE -___-

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW!! I think we will finish all of ours in the week we go back which is alright i guess,, then 3/4 weeks of solid revision
i noticed the grade bounderies for A/A* people has been lowering over the last few years..hmmmm

yh,, i got really luck and scraped an A (exactly 96ums/120),, but i got about 73/80 in the C/A and 41/45 in the S&L but im going to try and redo those to try and get an A* without needing to redo the exam

do you do the same texts for IGCSE and aqa??

Original post by haroon77
not looking frward to the literature exam revsion, poem after poem after poem, then you realise that there are two novels to study and know well before the exams as well

me neither... i dont think its too bad ,,, just practice techniques now

Ok..Big question ....

What do you want to get in lit?
What do you think you will get?

Ryan
Reply 9
Original post by ryanb97
WOW!! I think we will finish all of ours in the week we go back which is alright i guess,, then 3/4 weeks of solid revision
i noticed the grade bounderies for A/A* people has been lowering over the last few years..hmmmm

yh,, i got really luck and scraped an A (exactly 96ums/120),, but i got about 73/80 in the C/A and 41/45 in the S&L but im going to try and redo those to try and get an A* without needing to redo the exam

do you do the same texts for IGCSE and aqa??

Ok..Big question ....

Ryan

C/A it's 72/73 for an A* I think so you're safe and erm for S+L it's 43 luckily I got 45 cos I love talking :tongue:
Yeah I noticed that to the A* boundary has gone down every year this year I should be around 35/36

Erm iGCSE I'm only doing it for language it's basically the same as the AQA paper split into two exams for 2 hrs each..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by stephbo
C/A it's 72/73 for an A* I think so you're safe and erm for S+L it's 43 luckily I got 45 cos I love talking :tongue:
Yeah I noticed that to the A* boundary has gone down every year this year I should be around 35/36

Erm iGCSE I'm only doing it for language it's basically the same as the AQA paper split into two exams for 2 hrs each..

Posted from TSR Mobile

my teacher didnt really make us do any actual presentations.. he pretty much said make a ppt and send it to him lol
so im guessing you want an A* in language??

what are you taking next year?

ryan
Reply 11
Original post by ryanb97
my teacher didnt really make us do any actual presentations.. he pretty much said make a ppt and send it to him lol
so im guessing you want an A* in language??

what are you taking next year?

ryan

Yeah at first I wanted an A then when I got my coursework results I thought why not go for the A*

Chemistry, biology, maths and business studies, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by stephbo
Yeah at first I wanted an A then when I got my coursework results I thought why not go for the A*

Chemistry, biology, maths and business studies, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bio chem physics maths FM and maybe psychology

Wow ,, i just looked at your C/A results again those am really really good!!

Have you started comparing poems yet? // or any unseen poems?

Ive tried and i think i will need to write about each one atleast twice to get a good jist of it all but i dont think it will be too bad

with unseen poems im terrible lol

ryan
Reply 13
Original post by ryanb97
Bio chem physics maths FM and maybe psychology

Wow ,, i just looked at your C/A results again those am really really good!!

Have you started comparing poems yet? // or any unseen poems?

Ive tried and i think i will need to write about each one atleast twice to get a good jist of it all but i dont think it will be too bad

with unseen poems im terrible lol

ryan

Woah 3 sciences & Maths + Further, you must be really good at science and maths
Thanks :biggrin: and nope not yet I'm still annotating my anthology, I think we're gonna do unseen after Easter but I find it okay because I'm good because I always have a lot to say I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Ok..Big question ....

Ryan
In both language and literature i am hoping for an a*- you beat me in language, i got 53/80, which was a b, i think it is 92 ums, whereas i don't know my S&L grade, but i do know my coursework grade, which is around 77/80, speaking and listening should be similarly high, so when we get our a*s should both have a*s in lang and lit :cool:
Reply 15

In both language and literature i am hoping for an a*- you beat me in language, i got 53/80, which was a b, i think it is 92 ums, whereas i don't know my S&L grade, but i do know my coursework grade, which is around 77/80, speaking and listening should be similarly high, so when we get our a*s should both have a*s in lang and lit :cool:

i think your beating me then,, but i think i could get an A* without retaking... you can if you literally get 100% in both S&L and all the C?A

i dont get the last sentence..soryyy.. lol

ryan
Reply 16
Original post by ryanb97
i think your beating me then,, but i think i could get an A* without retaking... you can if you literally get 100% in both S&L and all the C?A

i dont get the last sentence..soryyy.. lol

ryan

Well tbh the exam is where the real prestige lies, for example one guy in our whole year got an a*.

In regards to the last sentence, i was supposing that you were doing both lang and lit exams in the summer, as i'm retaking lang, so just said that im hoping both of us can get a*s in both gcses
Reply 17
Well tbh the exam is where the real prestige lies, for example one guy in our whole year got an a*.

In regards to the last sentence, i was supposing that you were doing both lang and lit exams in the summer, as i'm retaking lang, so just said that im hoping both of us can get a*s in both gcses

oh ok,, my badd

only one girl in our year got an A* then there were about 5 A's and about 15B's then the rest were below that
there is about 150 people in our year!!!

i think unit 1 for literature will be hard... i need to re-read LOTF...:confused:

ryan
Reply 18
Original post by ryanb97
oh ok,, my badd

only one girl in our year got an A* then there were about 5 A's and about 15B's then the rest were below that
there is about 150 people in our year!!!

i think unit 1 for literature will be hard... i need to re-read LOTF...:confused:

ryan

Are you good at maths considering you're taking FM next year ?

Do you think you'll get the A* in language without retaking

Quick Reply

Latest